7 replies to this topic

#1 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:41 PM

I was accidentally glutened four months ago, and I'm left with very dark scars all over my face and neck. Now that I'm older (55), I'm worried that the scars won't be fading anytime soon. Does anyone have a suggestion for lightening them? Has any particular product worked for you? If so, did you use it specifically on the scars? Or did you use it over the entire area?

Thanks for your help!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:43 PM

Awwww geez rosetapper; I don't have a clue. I'm so sorry that happened! What a "B"! Maybe lemon juice? Maybe milk? I wonder if Emu oil would do anything?
We are the same age.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#3 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:54 PM

Dear Rose,

I'm a Merle Norman convert. Their Sport foundation is the bomb. It covers anything and you don't feel like you have gunk on your face. I work in outside sales in the subtropics and it works for me. (It covers ugly Lupus "wolf bites" for me.) It's gluten-free. Just make sure to let it dry completely before putting a top on. If it's wet, it stains your clothes.

Hope you have a Merle Norman near you. Once it's on, it's on. Survives sweat, rain, even baking soda sand blasting when your dental hygenist gets down and dirty!

I never wore foundation until I got Lupus, btw. I wear it for work and special occasions now. Hope that helps. B)
Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#4 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:23 PM

Marilyn,

Thanks for the tip on Merle Norman--always good to know what actually works for hiding scars. I've been using Dior Airflash for the past two years, and people swear that they can't see my scars. It's extremely expensive, though, so I'll be looking into the Merle Norman line to see if it's cheaper. The product I'm currently using costs over $100....though it does last for a long time. It's supposed to be sprayed on, but I conserve it by spraying it into my hand and applying it with a brush. I tell people I actually apply it with a spatula! Without it, I would scare children....

The worst part by far about the glutening, though, is that it caused my immune system to crash so that my breast cancer metastasized to my lymphatic system. The scars are now the least of my worries, I'm afraid.

Thanks, guys, for the responses!

#5 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:30 PM

Ohhhhh rosetapper! What an awful thing to happen. So here you go again right? Take a deep breath & come out fighting! I'm sending you everything positive & good that I have in me & will continue to do so for as long as it's needed. (((HUGS)))

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#6 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:42 PM

Yes, here I go again, is right! Thanks for hugs squirmingitch! Believe it or not, my best chance is a homeopathic treatment called Artemisinin. Its recent clinical trials at the University of Washington resulted in fantastic, positive responses in patients--regardless of the type of cancer they had. I immediately got in touch with one of the lead researchers, and he provided me with the protocol and exact pharmaceutical grade product that was used in the trials. Three days after I started taking it, I began to feel better, and nine days later, I began to feel almost "normal" again. However, it's too soon to tell if it will cause my cancer to go into remission, so I'm not getting my hopes up. I'm scheduled to start chemo on Tuesday--wish me luck!

#7 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:42 PM

The only useful thing that I can add is, if you have facial issues with DH or otherwise, please use the Highest skin protection available. Disturbed skin will tan more than the rest of your skin.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#8 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:05 AM

Yes, here I go again, is right! Thanks for hugs squirmingitch! Believe it or not, my best chance is a homeopathic treatment called Artemisinin. Its recent clinical trials at the University of Washington resulted in fantastic, positive responses in patients--regardless of the type of cancer they had. I immediately got in touch with one of the lead researchers, and he provided me with the protocol and exact pharmaceutical grade product that was used in the trials. Three days after I started taking it, I began to feel better, and nine days later, I began to feel almost "normal" again. However, it's too soon to tell if it will cause my cancer to go into remission, so I'm not getting my hopes up. I'm scheduled to start chemo on Tuesday--wish me luck!

You better know I'm wishing you luck & loads of it! The Artemisinin sounds very promising especially when you began to feel so much better so quickly.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: