21 replies to this topic

#16 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:47 PM

The statement that "a gluten free diet is not healthy" is incorrect. "Fortified wheat products " are not essential. You can get your vitamins and minerals from other FOODS that have folate, calcium, niacin, etc. Alternative grains provide the same amount of "whole grain" nutrition the wheat industry touts as being "essential".

Or, as Gee Eff in Dee Cee says, take a vitamin, if you are worried.

I know many people who are VERY healthy without wheat--and they are not celiacs.

My husband is one. Perfectly healthy and looks and moves like someone 20 years younger. Works out at a gym, lifts weights, etc. 3X a week, golfs, walks 3 miles without breathing heavily. No medications.

My friend Suze, DXed with MS since when she was 28, went on a grain- free, sugar- free diet on her own and has kept her MS at bay for 25 years. She even RAN THE BOSTON MARATHON several years ago. No wheelchair for her--and she is in better health than ANYONE I know. She is a vegetarian now.

My Mom, at 85, rarely ate bread/gluteny items her entire life. But, she went gluten-free and DF after my DX and she STILL goes to the gym 3X a week. (Since she was 55.) She does the stairmaster and cardio kick-boxing. I am not kidding. She moves and walks like a 60- year -old. She is healthier than I am.

She does not "need" wheat. She is healthy as can be. Brain is sharp as a tack. Her EKG is the same as it was at 65. Her vitamin/mineral levels and bone density scans are great! Her only med is synthroid, but her doc says she may not need it after going gluten-free.

No one "needs" wheat (or dairy, really-- for that matter) to be healthy.

It's propaganda.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 bartfull

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:49 PM

I heard a story on NPR about a book someone wrote. I can't remember the author's name, but the book was called something like, "Eat Food, Not Too Much, Mostly Plants". In the story he claimed that most Americans eat "food-like substances". That pretty much sums it up.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#18 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:01 PM

That quote is from Michael Pollan, the food writer for the NYTimes and the author of The Omnivore's Dilemma.

Unfortunately Pollan, as of October 2011, was not able to get away from his preconceptions and love of bread when he gave this answer to the query...

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/10/02/magazine/29mag-food-issue.html?ref=magazine#/pollan

Q. What do you think of gluten free diets?

A. They are very important if you have celiac disease or can't tolerate gluten. But it's hard to believe that the number of people suffering from these conditions has grown as fast as this product category. Gluten has become the bad nutrient of the moment, the evil twin of Omega 3 fatty acids. Could it really be that bread, a staple of Western civilization for 6,000 years, is suddenly making millions of us sick? I'm dubious.

<_< He's.... dubious.

More recently Pollan, who is the darling of the East Coast organics- for- the- wealthy- movement, showed up at a food conference in my state (California). What was funny was that the people eating the regular food at the conference got all these organic vegetarian goodies and some sort of broiled fish option. There was a gluten free option. It consisted of some sort of gluten free grain pattie served on a gluten free sandwich bun. :blink: mmmm. Carbohydrates.

#19 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:20 AM

What was funny was that the people eating the regular food at the conference got all these organic vegetarian goodies and some sort of broiled fish option. There was a gluten free option. It consisted of some sort of gluten free grain pattie served on a gluten free sandwich bun. :blink: mmmm. Carbohydrates.

what the heck??? that's nuts

I guess that's what many people think "gluten free eating" means. :rolleyes:

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#20 FoodisLife12

FoodisLife12

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:28 AM

That article doesn't deserve consideration. Anyone with the slightest familiarity of Celiac's can see how uninformed these people are. Low and behold, IGNORANCE still seems to be the most common disease in this country...

#21 codetalker

codetalker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:04 PM

What they should be embarrassed about is that they had to add vitamins to white bread, because the processing of wheat flour removed any nutritional value from the flour. So it is basically worthless junk people are eating without the vitamins added to it. They basically put a vitamin pill in wheat bread so it would be sellable to people and not cause them to be malnourished, which was the concern. Now they proclaim wheat bread as healthier than gluten-free because of those added vitamins. Rubbish. Anybody can buy a vitamin pill and take it. That they need to add vitamins to their product is a clear indicator the product is not a good food. At least not they way they process it.

I was wondering when someone would point this out.

#22 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

I was wondering when someone would point this out.

Agreed.

There is so much wrong in the article :rolleyes: , apparently, we needed so many proofreaders to sort it all out.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: