arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Infertility & Celiac Disease (After Diagnosis)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 KBGlutenFree

KBGlutenFree

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:37 PM

I am new to this forum and I have been searching the internet for some answers; I was hoping maybe somebody on here can help me. I know there is a link between undiagnosed Celiac Disease and infertility (and that most issues are resolved after assuming a gluten-free diet) ....but I am wondering if anyone here continued to have issues related to infertility after diagnosis? I was diagnosed with Celiac 10 years ago and have been on a strict gluten-free diet ever since. I only started TTC 2.5 years ago and have only been successful once - which led to a miscarriage at 8 weeks. That was 1.5 years ago. I watch my cycles carefully and have tried two rounds of Clomid. Still nothing. So, again - I was just wondering if anyone else has had problems TTC after a Celiac diagnosis? I appreciate any input. Thank you!
Diagnosed Celiac Disease - 2002
Diagnosed Hypothyroid - 2006

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mamaupupup

mamaupupup

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:52 PM

I wish I could say I had followed your path. I had no idea that Celiac and Infertility were related at the time I was TTC. I'm writing you to let you know a nice outcome from infertility...

We have fraternal girl twins concieved through IVF/ICSI and PGD under Dr. Schoolcraft's guidance at the Colorado Center for Reproductive Medicine. Dr. Schoolcraft was amazing.

Our twins were diagnosed with Celiac in March, at 5.5 years old. Only through my girls' experiences did I start to wonder if I have Celiac (and if that was the reason I had fertility issues). My kiddos may be helping me get healthier!

All that said, I know our pediatric GI, Dr. Michelle Pietzak (Children's Hospital LA) is aware and empathetic about the link between Celiac and Infertility. She is also a researcher and teaches at USC. I think she is considering doing research on the topic. Her number at CHLA is (323) 361-2181.

Sending you warm wishes on your path to motherhood!

#3 KBGlutenFree

KBGlutenFree

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:37 PM

Thank you for your post - I appreciate all the information that you provided. It sounds like it is extremely common that many women experience infertility issues prior to the Celiac diagnosis; however, I have yet to find any information regarding whether or not any Celiacs continue to have issues post diagnosis and post gluten-free diet transition. Apparently, most are 'cured' of the infertility by starting the gluten-free diet... but, there isn't much research about any with lingering issues. As luck would have it, I never tried to get pregnant before - so I have no idea if I have always had these issues. Anyway, I am so happy to hear that you have been blessed with twins and your infertility battles were successful!!!
Diagnosed Celiac Disease - 2002
Diagnosed Hypothyroid - 2006

#4 ShannonA

ShannonA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 01:21 PM

Thank you for your post - I appreciate all the information that you provided. It sounds like it is extremely common that many women experience infertility issues prior to the Celiac diagnosis; however, I have yet to find any information regarding whether or not any Celiacs continue to have issues post diagnosis and post gluten-free diet transition. Apparently, most are 'cured' of the infertility by starting the gluten-free diet... but, there isn't much research about any with lingering issues. As luck would have it, I never tried to get pregnant before - so I have no idea if I have always had these issues. Anyway, I am so happy to hear that you have been blessed with twins and your infertility battles were successful!!!

I started having fertility issues 12 years ago. Only recently did I discover that I am gluten intolerant/celiac (self diagnosed by elimination) and read that fertility can be a problem. Although we did have 4 round of IUI and with the last round I added acupuncture for 5 months and became pregnant. 3 years passed again without being able to get pregnant and I once more started having acupuncture treatments and after about 4 months I became pregnant. Good luck to you!

#5 joolsjewels

joolsjewels

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:53 AM

Hi, i am new here. I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2001 when i first got married. We immediately started infertility treatments. I was not diagnosed with gluten intolerance until 2009. So my gluten exsposure probably cancelled out the treatments. Ever since 2009, we have not done anything to prevent pregnancy. The PCOS continues for its own obstinate reasons. I had hoped that my body would repair itself after i went Gluten-Free, but apperently not. I am still dealling with this plus depression and fibromyalgia. Btw, what is TTC? I understand the grief of long term infertility. I wish you all the best.

#6 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:01 AM

Hi, i am new here. I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2001 when i first got married. We immediately started infertility treatments. I was not diagnosed with gluten intolerance until 2009. So my gluten exsposure probably cancelled out the treatments. Ever since 2009, we have not done anything to prevent pregnancy. The PCOS continues for its own obstinate reasons. I had hoped that my body would repair itself after i went Gluten-Free, but apperently not. I am still dealling with this plus depression and fibromyalgia. Btw, what is TTC? I understand the grief of long term infertility. I wish you all the best.

Trying To Conceive.
I am wondering if further improving diets would help? such as getting rid of processed food. reducing carbs even further, etc.
and don't forget the second person involved, perhaps some of the issue is his.

#7 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:17 AM

I had recurrent miscarriage and didn't know I had celiac.

I have 2 kids now.

The best tip I had was 'afterwards' for the woman to stay in bed lying back with a couple of pillows to tip hips towards tummy. The man has to go and fix coffee, tea, snacks etc.

Other things were decent diet and relaxation
/meditation.

Once pregnant I avoided cold drinks for a while and kept my tummy warm by wrapping with a scarf.

Who knows if any of this will work for you.

I hope you find a way, and some support
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#8 CeliacShack

CeliacShack

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:35 AM

I was diagnosed PCOS in 2001 as well, like a previous poster. At that point I had no clue that I also had celiac. I tried to conceive for four years before finally having my twins. I was having many, many health problems at the time, ballooning weight, high cholesterol, high blood pressure... and all of this while I was a vegetarian.
After a long consult with my Ob/gyn about my health, I went on Metformin to help my PCOS symptoms, and drastically changed my life. I began eating meat again, and went very low carb/low sugar. Those changes, along with daily excercise, allowed me to lose 50lbs over about 6 months. I became pregnant with my twins with help of Clomid. I remained on the Metformin througout my pregnancy.
I eventually went off the Metformin, and happened to get pregnant on my own twice, both of which resulted in miscarriages. I began to have health struggles again and gained weight, and gave up on having any more children. I went back on the Metformin, and was suprised with a pregnancy. I remained on the Met for the entire pregnancy, and had a healthy son.
So, for me, the Met has been a miracle drug. I am still on it, but am now struggling with celiac symptoms, as I was just diagnosed a few months ago.
Colette

Diagnosed with PCOS - 2001

Biopsy- diagnosed Celiac / gastritis - June 2012

Trying to heal

#9 CeliacShack

CeliacShack

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:37 AM

Oops, I forgot to say, when I went low carb/low sugar, I felt better than I ever had in my entire life. I unknowingly was low gluten as well, which probably helped with my health, weight loss and successful pregnancy. At the time, I didn't have a clue that I had celiac.
Colette

Trying to heal

#10 CeliacShack

CeliacShack

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:47 AM

Sorry, one more post, lol, I'm a bit of a fertility knowlegde freak, after trying for four years. I learned so much about TTC by reading the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. (I don't have any vested interest in the book, just sharing.) I did the basal body temperature charting, monitoring cervical changes, all that fun stuff for my first pregnancy, as well as taking Robitussum to thin mucus. Charting helps to pinpoint the perfect time for conception. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it, for anyone having issues with conceiving. I was not ovulating or menstruating on my own at all, due to the PCOS and undiagnosed celiac. Charting helped me figure it out, and then with the Clomid allowed me to ovulate, we were able to finally conceive.
Colette

Trying to heal

#11 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:59 AM

I liked Zita West on fertility. She is based in London, so not sure how widely her books are available. She is an expert in combining complimentary and conventional medicine, including nutrition and supplements. I think she advises some of the top fertility clinics here.
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: