Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Tiramisu

83 posts in this topic

Those are good suggestions, Bun.

Thanks! :)

Ads by Google:

I don't know about you, but I have found the most success with putting as many different flours and starches into a recipe as I can. If it calls for one cup starch, I do one third potato, one third tapioca, one third arrowroot. For flour, I'd do one third sorghum, one third rice, one third buckwheat, or something like that. This is a cupcake recipe, so maybe half fine white rice and half montina, then mix up the starches for the other half of the flour? I tend to avoid corn, but cornstarch sounds like it would be a good application here.

I've not heard mention of this before - can you tell me more????

Looks de-lish!

What will you do for the cake flour?

An all- purpose blend? Fine white rice and tap starch? think we need the X-gum?

I am going to try a blend with millet, white rice flour and almond flour and no x-gum. Will report back. Wait a minute - I will try half with no X and half with X to compare.

I am going to try a blend with millet, white rice flour and almond flour and no x-gum. Will report back. Wait a minute - I will try half with no X and half with X to compare.

Sounds kinda like you're going to wind up with wholegrain cupcakes?

Neroli, I haven't actually tried the montina flour yet, I've been real lazy in the past few years about baking, and it's kinda expensive.

It's from some kind of ancient indian rice grass that's not actually rice. From what I've read, it's AMAZING to bake with.

Montina flour.

Sounds interesting

Sounds kinda like you're going to wind up with wholegrain cupcakes?

Neroli, I haven't actually tried the montina flour yet, I've been real lazy in the past few years about baking, and it's kinda expensive.

It's from some kind of ancient indian rice grass that's not actually rice. From what I've read, it's AMAZING to bake with.

I love millet in baking - it is so very mild yet adds some nutritional value. Actually, I think I will use chestnut flour. Love the stuff. I now have over 20 flours/starches to choose from!

I've not heard mention of this before - can you tell me more????

whoops, K and I posted simultaneously!! :lol:

Glutenfreemama says:

Indian Ricegrass ---Also known as Montina flour, grown and processed in Montana. This flour is high in fiber and protein. This flour should be combined with other gluten-free flours to have the best effect with baking. It can be used anywhere from 10% - 20% of my total flour blends. It should be introduced gradually into your diet as it is very high in fiber. To add more fiber to your diet, take 2 Tablespoons of flour out of the recipe and replace with 2 Tablespoons Montina. Montina (Indian Ricegrass) flour can be purchased all across the United States at health food stores or at the Amazing Grains Website. www.amazinggrains.com

I saw a Montina German Choc Cake recipe in Living Without Mag and it looked pretty darn good.

http://www.livingwithout.com/recipes/montina_gluten_free_german_chocolate_cake-1794-1.html

I love millet in baking - it is so very mild yet adds some nutritional value. Actually, I think I will use chestnut flour. Love the stuff. I now have over 20 flours/starches to choose from!

Now, I want a cupcake.....you're killing me, girl. :lol: