IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:37 AM

Those are good suggestions, Bun.

Thanks! :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#77 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:13 AM

I don't know about you, but I have found the most success with putting as many different flours and starches into a recipe as I can. If it calls for one cup starch, I do one third potato, one third tapioca, one third arrowroot. For flour, I'd do one third sorghum, one third rice, one third buckwheat, or something like that. This is a cupcake recipe, so maybe half fine white rice and half montina, then mix up the starches for the other half of the flour? I tend to avoid corn, but cornstarch sounds like it would be a good application here.

I've not heard mention of this before - can you tell me more????
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#78 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:36 AM

Looks de-lish!

What will you do for the cake flour?

An all- purpose blend? Fine white rice and tap starch? think we need the X-gum?

I am going to try a blend with millet, white rice flour and almond flour and no x-gum. Will report back. Wait a minute - I will try half with no X and half with X to compare.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#79 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:47 AM

I am going to try a blend with millet, white rice flour and almond flour and no x-gum. Will report back. Wait a minute - I will try half with no X and half with X to compare.

Sounds kinda like you're going to wind up with wholegrain cupcakes?

Neroli, I haven't actually tried the montina flour yet, I've been real lazy in the past few years about baking, and it's kinda expensive.
It's from some kind of ancient indian rice grass that's not actually rice. From what I've read, it's AMAZING to bake with.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#80 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,240 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:52 AM

Montina flour.

Sounds interesting

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#81 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:52 AM

Sounds kinda like you're going to wind up with wholegrain cupcakes?

Neroli, I haven't actually tried the montina flour yet, I've been real lazy in the past few years about baking, and it's kinda expensive.
It's from some kind of ancient indian rice grass that's not actually rice. From what I've read, it's AMAZING to bake with.

I love millet in baking - it is so very mild yet adds some nutritional value. Actually, I think I will use chestnut flour. Love the stuff. I now have over 20 flours/starches to choose from!
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#82 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:58 AM

I've not heard mention of this before - can you tell me more????

whoops, K and I posted simultaneously!! :lol:

Glutenfreemama says:

Indian Ricegrass ---Also known as Montina flour, grown and processed in Montana. This flour is high in fiber and protein. This flour should be combined with other gluten-free flours to have the best effect with baking. It can be used anywhere from 10% - 20% of my total flour blends. It should be introduced gradually into your diet as it is very high in fiber. To add more fiber to your diet, take 2 Tablespoons of flour out of the recipe and replace with 2 Tablespoons Montina. Montina (Indian Ricegrass) flour can be purchased all across the United States at health food stores or at the Amazing Grains Website. www.amazinggrains.com

I saw a Montina German Choc Cake recipe in Living Without Mag and it looked pretty darn good.

http://www.livingwit...ake-1794-1.html

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#83 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:00 AM

I love millet in baking - it is so very mild yet adds some nutritional value. Actually, I think I will use chestnut flour. Love the stuff. I now have over 20 flours/starches to choose from!

Now, I want a cupcake.....you're killing me, girl. :lol:

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: