Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

What's For Dessert Tonight?

111 posts in this topic

Cottage cheese with apple butter and flax. There is nothing quite like a healthy dessert to make you feel old. :D

Ads by Google:

and peanut butter carob dipped Glutino pretzels. Ymmmmm

So, it worked, then?! yaaay!! :)

Cottage cheese with apple butter and flax. There is nothing quite like a healthy dessert to make you feel old. :D

:lol: aw we're not ready to call you Granny just yet...you're doing this for a good cause & I'm proud of you for choking that flax down.

Also, try it blended into a smoothie?

I'd love to put it in a smoothie, especially since they have become a way of life for me. I was having them because it was a fun way to have yogurt, but since I can't have yogurt I suppose I'm done with that. Oh well, the giganto-size tubs of cottage cheese are cheap at Costco. Lets just hope I don't use up all my apple butter before apples are ripe again.

I'd love to put it in a smoothie, especially since they have become a way of life for me. I was having them because it was a fun way to have yogurt, but since I can't have yogurt I suppose I'm done with that.

Can you have coconut milk yogurt?

Can you have coconut milk yogurt?

Nope. I can have milk and dairy, they aren't a problem. The cultures and aging are the problem :(

Nope. I can have milk and dairy, they aren't a problem. The cultures and aging are the problem :(

oh, that's right!! crappers! sorry hunny.

Don't be sorry. It'll be a summer full of milkshakes that I can totally justify with flax. I'm gonna get so fat. :lol:

I'm laughing so hard at your banter. Thanks for the humor :)

My last hurrah before dieting to lose my 5 extra pounds I gained this year was Betty Crocker's chocolate cake. I added the 3 oz. of cream cheese, as suggested on this board, and made a delicious chocolate frosting in a saucepan over med heat, and voila! My mom thought it was FUDGE Cake and made me take the leftovers home with me b/c she liked it so much, hehe. I think it surprised her that gluten-free could taste so good.

I am not making this tonight, but I promised to post it:

Pound Cake

1 cup Sweet White Rice Flour

1/2 cup Sorghum Flour

1/4 cup Corn Starch

2 tsp. Baking Powder

1 tsp. Xanthan Gum

1 cup Butter, room temperature

1 cup Granulated Sugar

4 Eggs

2 tsp. Vanilla Extract (or lemon or almond or orange extract, if you prefer!)

Directions:

Beat the butter until creamy and smooth. Add the sugar and beat into the butter until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each one. Add the vanilla (or other extract) and blend until completely incorporated.

In a separate bowl, combine the flours, cornstarch, xanthan gum and baking powder and blend together with a whisk. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and blend until fully mixed.

Spread into a greased 8 or 9-inch bread pan.

Bake for 50-60 minutes at 350°F.

Cool for about 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan and cool completely.

I dust it with powdered sugar sometimes (but not in the car) :)

and it is REALLY good if used in strawberry short cake with fresh whipped cream.

I'm pretty excited for tonight, my mom picked strawberries for us the other day, I unfortunately am stuck home with a knee Injury and couldn't pick with her. :( BUT she mentioned my favorite way to eat berries this am and I can't quit thinking of it! Very simple, berries, a little milk, and just a sprinkle of sugar...soooo yummy!!!! Can't wait!!

529146_444241952263836_299490760_n.jpg

529146_444241952263836_299490760_n.jpg

Oh goodness that looks delicious!

Isn't it beautiful? :)

Now, I owe Sylvia a buck.

I said if she posted that pic on here, I'd give her a buck.

Don't you all wanna know what it IS?

:lol:

Oh yes, do tell what it is. I need to know why I have fork marks on my monitor now.

We had more strawberry flax milkshakes last night. I got my husband to have one with me, it was very difficult not to gloat.

Isn't it beautiful? :)

Don't you all wanna know what it IS?

It is beautiful and looks delicious! Do you know what it is IrishHeart...do tell please.

Oh yes, do tell what it is. I need to know why I have fork marks on my monitor now.

We had more strawberry flax milkshakes last night. I got my husband to have one with me, it was very difficult not to gloat.

"Fork marks on my monitor." LOL, Adalaide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

It is beautiful and looks delicious! Do you know what it is IrishHeart...do tell please.

All I know is, she emailed the pic to me, I drooled all over my laptop...and I said "I'll give you a buck if you post it for the gang on the dessert thread".

I know it's lemony and I know it's good....but I'll let her share the the rest.

Yes, Irish Heart made me do it! laugh.gif And I don't wanna see any more fork marks on anyone's monitor! tongue.gif

The recipe is a gluten-free Lemon Pound Cake with a lemon glaze. Recipe is by Annalise Roberts from Gluten-Free Baking Classics, one of my favorite baking books. I did use Authentic Foods Gluten-Free Classical Blend flour. It's so fine and powdery, you'd think it was wheat.

I totally followed the recipe. If you make it, be sure you do not over mix it. When the ingredients were just mixed together, I mixed it for exactly 30 seconds as the recipe called for.

Here are some variations not mentioned on the above website:

Lemon Blueberry Pound Cake: Stir in 2/3 to 3/4 cup fresh dry blueberries before spreading batter in pan. (Next time I'm going to give them a dusting of flour first as they seemed to sink...I should have known that.)

Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake: Stir in 1/3 cup poppy seeds before spreading batter in pan.

Lemon Glaze:

1/4 cup granulated sugar

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1. Put sugar and lemon juice in small saucepan and whisk over medium-high heat until sugar is dissolved.

2. Use pastry brush to brush glaze on cooled pound cake

I actually let the glaze cool until it was syrupy before brushing in on the cake.

The recipe was a huge hit when served to gluten-eating friends today!!! And I am the only one eating gluten-free. biggrin.gif

Edit: I contacted Annalise regarding the "sinking blueberries" and dusting them with flour and she said, "Yes, you can do that, or add 1/3 to 1/2 of the plain batter to the pan, then stir the blueberries into the remaining batter (still in the bowl), then add that to the pan." I will try that next time and also it would work with a chocolate chip pound cake.

Edited by sa1937

How much do we all love Sylvia right now???

:wub:

and my tight pants just went R-I-P!!!!!!!!!!

SORA!! SORA!!! where the HE*L are those MUU MUUS???

That looks so good and easy. The doctor said today that when my vision comes back fully I can go tyramine-light instead of tyramine free, yay! That means I can have yogurt and make the cake as soon as I can see like a normal person again. I also apparently need to stop clicking this dessert thread because once I drop 10% of my weight I can go back to eating as much tyramine as makes me happy.

Yes, Irish Heart made me do it! laugh.gif And I don't wanna see any more fork marks on anyone's monitor! tongue.gif

The recipe is a gluten-free Lemon Pound Cake with a lemon glaze. Recipe is by Annalise Roberts from Gluten-Free Baking Classics, one of my favorite baking books. I did use Authentic Foods Gluten-Free Classical Blend flour. It's so fine and powdery, you'd think it was wheat.

I totally followed the recipe. If you make it, be sure you do not over mix it. When the ingredients were just mixed together, I mixed it for exactly 30 seconds as the recipe called for.

Here are some variations not mentioned on the above website:

Lemon Blueberry Pound Cake: Stir in 2/3 to 3/4 cup fresh dry blueberries before spreading batter in pan. (Next time I'm going to give them a dusting of flour first as they seemed to sink...I should have known that.)

Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake: Stir in 1/3 cup poppy seeds before spreading batter in pan.

Lemon Glaze:

1/4 cup granulated sugar

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1. Put sugar and lemon juice in small saucepan and whisk over medium-high heat until sugar is dissolved.

2. Use pastry brush to brush glaze on cooled pound cake

I actually let the glaze cool until it was syrupy before brushing in on the cake.

The recipe was a huge hit when served to gluten-eating friends today!!! And I am the only one eating gluten-free. biggrin.gif

Yay!!!!! Thank you so much for posting, my family will love it! I can't wait lol I just love this thread! Tonight I had a scoop of Kemp's moose tracks frozen yogurt, my favorite!

So much for giving up dessert. I made brown rice pudding, so yummy! I added flax, so it's totally healthy right?

So much for giving up dessert. I made brown rice pudding, so yummy! I added flax, so it's totally healthy right?

let's see....

brown rice is good for you,

flax is good for you.

It made you happy.

totally healthy ;)

How much do we all love Sylvia right now???

:wub:

and my tight pants just went R-I-P!!!!!!!!!!

SORA!! SORA!!! where the HE*L are those MUU MUUS???

Aw, you're too sweet IH!

Help, I think I need a MUU MUU, too! laugh.gif Sora, where are you when we need you!!! Hahaha