This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What's For Dessert Tonight?

sora

Adalaide Mentor

Cottage cheese with apple butter and flax. There is nothing quite like a healthy dessert to make you feel old. :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IrishHeart Veteran

and peanut butter carob dipped Glutino pretzels. Ymmmmm

So, it worked, then?! yaaay!! :)

IrishHeart Veteran

Cottage cheese with apple butter and flax. There is nothing quite like a healthy dessert to make you feel old. :D

:lol: aw we're not ready to call you Granny just yet...you're doing this for a good cause & I'm proud of you for choking that flax down.

Also, try it blended into a smoothie?

Adalaide Mentor

I'd love to put it in a smoothie, especially since they have become a way of life for me. I was having them because it was a fun way to have yogurt, but since I can't have yogurt I suppose I'm done with that. Oh well, the giganto-size tubs of cottage cheese are cheap at Costco. Lets just hope I don't use up all my apple butter before apples are ripe again.

IrishHeart Veteran

I'd love to put it in a smoothie, especially since they have become a way of life for me. I was having them because it was a fun way to have yogurt, but since I can't have yogurt I suppose I'm done with that.

Can you have coconut milk yogurt?

Adalaide Mentor

Can you have coconut milk yogurt?

Nope. I can have milk and dairy, they aren't a problem. The cultures and aging are the problem :(

IrishHeart Veteran

Nope. I can have milk and dairy, they aren't a problem. The cultures and aging are the problem :(

oh, that's right!! crappers! sorry hunny.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

Don't be sorry. It'll be a summer full of milkshakes that I can totally justify with flax. I'm gonna get so fat. :lol:

freeatlast Collaborator

I'm laughing so hard at your banter. Thanks for the humor :)

My last hurrah before dieting to lose my 5 extra pounds I gained this year was Betty Crocker's chocolate cake. I added the 3 oz. of cream cheese, as suggested on this board, and made a delicious chocolate frosting in a saucepan over med heat, and voila! My mom thought it was FUDGE Cake and made me take the leftovers home with me b/c she liked it so much, hehe. I think it surprised her that gluten-free could taste so good.

IrishHeart Veteran

I am not making this tonight, but I promised to post it:

Pound Cake

1 cup Sweet White Rice Flour

1/2 cup Sorghum Flour

1/4 cup Corn Starch

2 tsp. Baking Powder

1 tsp. Xanthan Gum

1 cup Butter, room temperature

1 cup Granulated Sugar

4 Eggs

2 tsp. Vanilla Extract (or lemon or almond or orange extract, if you prefer!)

Directions:

Beat the butter until creamy and smooth. Add the sugar and beat into the butter until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each one. Add the vanilla (or other extract) and blend until completely incorporated.

In a separate bowl, combine the flours, cornstarch, xanthan gum and baking powder and blend together with a whisk. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and blend until fully mixed.

Spread into a greased 8 or 9-inch bread pan.

Bake for 50-60 minutes at 350°F.

Cool for about 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan and cool completely.

I dust it with powdered sugar sometimes (but not in the car) :)

and it is REALLY good if used in strawberry short cake with fresh whipped cream.

~**caselynn**~ Enthusiast

I'm pretty excited for tonight, my mom picked strawberries for us the other day, I unfortunately am stuck home with a knee Injury and couldn't pick with her. :( BUT she mentioned my favorite way to eat berries this am and I can't quit thinking of it! Very simple, berries, a little milk, and just a sprinkle of sugar...soooo yummy!!!! Can't wait!!

sa1937 Community Regular

529146_444241952263836_299490760_n.webp

529146_444241952263836_299490760_n.webp

Oh goodness that looks delicious!

IrishHeart Veteran

Isn't it beautiful? :)

Now, I owe Sylvia a buck.

I said if she posted that pic on here, I'd give her a buck.

Don't you all wanna know what it IS?

:lol:

Adalaide Mentor

Oh yes, do tell what it is. I need to know why I have fork marks on my monitor now.

We had more strawberry flax milkshakes last night. I got my husband to have one with me, it was very difficult not to gloat.

alex11602 Collaborator

Isn't it beautiful? :)

Don't you all wanna know what it IS?

It is beautiful and looks delicious! Do you know what it is IrishHeart...do tell please.

freeatlast Collaborator

Oh yes, do tell what it is. I need to know why I have fork marks on my monitor now.

We had more strawberry flax milkshakes last night. I got my husband to have one with me, it was very difficult not to gloat.

"Fork marks on my monitor." LOL, Adalaide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

IrishHeart Veteran

It is beautiful and looks delicious! Do you know what it is IrishHeart...do tell please.

All I know is, she emailed the pic to me, I drooled all over my laptop...and I said "I'll give you a buck if you post it for the gang on the dessert thread".

I know it's lemony and I know it's good....but I'll let her share the the rest.

sa1937 Community Regular

Yes, Irish Heart made me do it! laugh.gif And I don't wanna see any more fork marks on anyone's monitor! tongue.gif

The recipe is a gluten-free Open Original Shared Link with a lemon glaze. Recipe is by Annalise Roberts from Gluten-Free Baking Classics, one of my favorite baking books. I did use Authentic Foods Gluten-Free Classical Blend flour. It's so fine and powdery, you'd think it was wheat.

I totally followed the recipe. If you make it, be sure you do not over mix it. When the ingredients were just mixed together, I mixed it for exactly 30 seconds as the recipe called for.

Here are some variations not mentioned on the above website:

Lemon Blueberry Pound Cake: Stir in 2/3 to 3/4 cup fresh dry blueberries before spreading batter in pan. (Next time I'm going to give them a dusting of flour first as they seemed to sink...I should have known that.)

Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake: Stir in 1/3 cup poppy seeds before spreading batter in pan.

Lemon Glaze:

1/4 cup granulated sugar

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1. Put sugar and lemon juice in small saucepan and whisk over medium-high heat until sugar is dissolved.

2. Use pastry brush to brush glaze on cooled pound cake

I actually let the glaze cool until it was syrupy before brushing in on the cake.

The recipe was a huge hit when served to gluten-eating friends today!!! And I am the only one eating gluten-free. biggrin.gif

Edit: I contacted Annalise regarding the "sinking blueberries" and dusting them with flour and she said, "Yes, you can do that, or add 1/3 to 1/2 of the plain batter to the pan, then stir the blueberries into the remaining batter (still in the bowl), then add that to the pan." I will try that next time and also it would work with a chocolate chip pound cake.

IrishHeart Veteran

How much do we all love Sylvia right now???

:wub:

and my tight pants just went R-I-P!!!!!!!!!!

SORA!! SORA!!! where the HE*L are those MUU MUUS???

Adalaide Mentor

That looks so good and easy. The doctor said today that when my vision comes back fully I can go tyramine-light instead of tyramine free, yay! That means I can have yogurt and make the cake as soon as I can see like a normal person again. I also apparently need to stop clicking this dessert thread because once I drop 10% of my weight I can go back to eating as much tyramine as makes me happy.

Yes, Irish Heart made me do it! laugh.gif And I don't wanna see any more fork marks on anyone's monitor! tongue.gif

The recipe is a gluten-free Open Original Shared Link with a lemon glaze. Recipe is by Annalise Roberts from Gluten-Free Baking Classics, one of my favorite baking books. I did use Authentic Foods Gluten-Free Classical Blend flour. It's so fine and powdery, you'd think it was wheat.

I totally followed the recipe. If you make it, be sure you do not over mix it. When the ingredients were just mixed together, I mixed it for exactly 30 seconds as the recipe called for.

Here are some variations not mentioned on the above website:

Lemon Blueberry Pound Cake: Stir in 2/3 to 3/4 cup fresh dry blueberries before spreading batter in pan. (Next time I'm going to give them a dusting of flour first as they seemed to sink...I should have known that.)

Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake: Stir in 1/3 cup poppy seeds before spreading batter in pan.

Lemon Glaze:

1/4 cup granulated sugar

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1. Put sugar and lemon juice in small saucepan and whisk over medium-high heat until sugar is dissolved.

2. Use pastry brush to brush glaze on cooled pound cake

I actually let the glaze cool until it was syrupy before brushing in on the cake.

The recipe was a huge hit when served to gluten-eating friends today!!! And I am the only one eating gluten-free. biggrin.gif

Yay!!!!! Thank you so much for posting, my family will love it! I can't wait lol I just love this thread! Tonight I had a scoop of Kemp's moose tracks frozen yogurt, my favorite!

Adalaide Mentor

So much for giving up dessert. I made brown rice pudding, so yummy! I added flax, so it's totally healthy right?

IrishHeart Veteran

So much for giving up dessert. I made brown rice pudding, so yummy! I added flax, so it's totally healthy right?

let's see....

brown rice is good for you,

flax is good for you.

It made you happy.

totally healthy ;)

sa1937 Community Regular

How much do we all love Sylvia right now???

:wub:

and my tight pants just went R-I-P!!!!!!!!!!

SORA!! SORA!!! where the HE*L are those MUU MUUS???

Aw, you're too sweet IH!

Help, I think I need a MUU MUU, too! laugh.gif Sora, where are you when we need you!!! Hahaha

Archived