3 replies to this topic

#1 drewsant

drewsant

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 02:26 PM

I just bought some lotion from Bath and Body works, and was going thru the list of ingredients, and wasn't sure about this one--Humulus Lupulus Hops. Is this gluten? I really hope not because I love the smell of this lotion!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 02:51 PM

I just bought some lotion from Bath and Body works, and was going thru the list of ingredients, and wasn't sure about this one--Humulus Lupulus Hops. Is this gluten? I really hope not because I love the smell of this lotion!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's hops - which is a different plant. My guess would be that it is safe, based on the fact that it does not appear to be closely related to wheat, barley, or rye. But I have not seen anything conclusive on it, or even anything controversial on it. This website gives some basic information on the species. And this article from Living Without about brewing beer suggests that it is gluten-free.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 drewsant

drewsant

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 10:04 PM

It's hops - which is a different plant.  My guess would be that it is safe, based on the fact that it does not appear to be closely related to wheat, barley, or rye.  But I have not seen anything conclusive on it, or even anything controversial on it.  This website gives some basic information on the species.  And this article from Living Without about brewing beer suggests that it is gluten-free.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks!

#4 grantschoep

grantschoep

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 12:32 AM

Yes, hops is gluten free. Its one of those wonderful ingredients in beer. Put asside the other "bad" ingredients in beer.

Hops is like a plant, its not really a grain. Probably more inline with like lettetuce or other leafy things.

http://www.uvm.edu/~...perry/hops.html

Some info on the above... the smell of hops is really nice, or some like it. Thats usually why they put it in lotions and stuff.
"If I start fighting a war... I guarantee you'll see something new" - Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: