This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Corn Sensitivity

Finally-45

Finally-45 Contributor

I searched 'corn sensitivity' on this site and I see it comes up ALL the time and people have to be reminded that corn sensitivity is definitely not the same as Celiac disease. I had to get into a few debates myself in order to let go that there must be some connection.

I made Bob Mill's gluten free cookies the other day and I was unable to move from the gut pain that almost immediately started. At first I thought, "Couldn't be..." Then I had some more many hours later, and I had the same reaction. Hours after all of that, I had a bad bout of the big D. Yet, I couldn't narrow anything down in my diet that contained gluten or was otherwise unsafe.

My throat swells up whenever I have carmel color. I get terrible urinary/bladder tract infections if drink anything with corn syrup. (Easy one to let go actually.) I throw up popcorn if I have it on an empty stomach, so I normally avoid it.

After those darned cookies, I'm thinking "Ok, go ahead and go corn free--they weren't THAT good!"

So now I'm on a mission to go corn and gluten-free.

My question: I keep hearing about the Caveman diet and that it significantly reduces all grains. Has anyone tried this and found success without other side effects? I can't help but wonder if I'd eventually become deficient in something and then cause some other problem. I think [not know] I'm digesting rice just fine, but I can't see having rice every single day. Quinoa is ok, occasionally.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

Corn gives me the exact same symptoms as gluten. I have read that "corn gluten" CAN cause the same intestinal damage, but whether it can or not, I will never touch corn again.

BUT - if your throat swells up when you have caramel color, that is not an intolerance symptom, but a true allergy symptom. You MUST avoid corn, please, because the next time you have it you may get a true allergic reaction and DIE. Don't mess with it. Learn as much as you can about hidden sources of corn. PM me if you want more info.

I haven't gone paleo. I still eat rice. But there are several folks here who can tell you about the paleo diet, and from what I've read, they have no side effects, and are getting all the nutrition they need.

GFreeMO Proficient

Corn gives me the same symptoms as gluten does too. I also get bladder issues and yeast issues (female) from corn.

I recently gave up rice and I feel so much better.

It's difficult at first but maybe trying grain free may help you too.

I hope you feel better soon!

srall Contributor

My reaction to corn is the same as gluten. In fact the only grain that I can tolerate is just plain white rice. I feel best on the caveman diet, but I don't do it all the time. I should. But it's so hard for me...so I go in spurts. However, the only cheats from the paleo diet that I do are rice and white potatoes.

My daughter has an intolerance to corn and a pretty severe allergy. We avoid it completely at my house. It is tough to lose another food, but it sounds as if you are not handling corn well?

It's so hard to keep giving things up, as most of us on this forum know so well. But I now understand that our bodies talk to us, and it's important that we listen. Good luck!

Skylark Collaborator

You don't need grains to be healthy! I'd recommend reading Loren Cordain's Paleo Diet book. :) I eat like srall, occasional white rice, potatoes, or sweet potatoes. I feel much better eating very few grains and low-starch.

alwaysafter8 Newbie

Does anyone know, if we have intolerances to certain foods (like corn), would it show up on an allergy test or is it a different type of test we need to get for sensitivities? I had a corn allergy test, that showed up negative (no 'allergy'). But now that I'm reading about cross-reactive foods & intolerances in general I'm not sure.

My doctor didn't have any advice for me (she didn't even know how to order an allergy test!) & just told me to visit here, so here I am.

GFinDC Veteran

Does anyone know, if we have intolerances to certain foods (like corn), would it show up on an allergy test or is it a different type of test we need to get for sensitivities? I had a corn allergy test, that showed up negative (no 'allergy'). But now that I'm reading about cross-reactive foods & intolerances in general I'm not sure.

My doctor didn't have any advice for me (she didn't even know how to order an allergy test!) & just told me to visit here, so here I am.

Sounds like a smart doc to refer you here! :) There are not many food intolerance tests available. Food allergies are different and the do have tests for them. Skin prick testing is probably the most reliable for food allergies. Food intolerances they can test for are lactose intolerance and fructose intolerance. Maybe there are more but I haven't heard of them, so a pretty limited choice. The better test is an elimination diet, and it costs nothing but your time and patience.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Finally-45 Contributor

This is definitely depressing and I seemed to have been getting so well, then out of the blue these other symptoms come up.

The doctor had a corn allergy test done (blood test, not the skin prick), with little expectation that it will prove anything. She agrees with a lot of the literature that corn allergy and intolerance tests are not developed to detect corn gluten senstivity and gave me the firm sermon that I'd have to let go of corn too since my symptoms are so severe, particularly since I'm having signs of anaphylaxis with carmel color. She agreed that the reason my symptoms seemed to quadruple all of a sudden is likely because my intake of other grains allowed on the gluten-free diet increased significantly.

I can't remember where I read this, but I do recall that when I was first diagnosed and tried to read every book I could find, that one of the books warned newly diagnosed Celiacs not to go crazy eating the gluten-free products such as the cereals, cookies, breads, etc. because you'd want to deal with one problem first before stirring up another....some Celiacs don't know they are intolerant to multiple grains right away... so take it easy. Well I wish I had listened to that advice now!

As suggested, I'm checking into the Paleo diet and watching the Dr. Osborne videos on YouTube. This is a HARD diet to follow! gluten-free is a piece of cake, no pun intended, compared to grain free. Corn is in so many products and additives, it's crazy. I might as well get a job at Whole Foods, cause that's where I spend my spare time lately.

Certainly a lifestyle change. Eating out isn't bad, at least you can scope the menu in advance and choose other places. But being at a family/friend event and having people look at you weird because you refuse to eat practically everything but fresh, unadulterated fruits,nuts, veges, and meats,is another story. May be easier to claim I'm a healthfood freak. I think some people assume a person who lists multiple food problems is being crazy; too bad.

Finally-45 Contributor

BUT - if your throat swells up when you have caramel color, that is not an intolerance symptom, but a true allergy symptom. You MUST avoid corn, please, because the next time you have it you may get a true allergic reaction and DIE. Don't mess with it.

The doctor agrees with you that corn will kill me if I keep trying to eat it. Thanks, you encouraged me to get in with the doctor immediately the day you posted.

Sometimes the things that are most obvious to us in life are the very things we choose not to see!

deb445 Rookie

May be easier to claim I'm a healthfood freak. I think some people assume a person who lists multiple food problems is being crazy; too bad.

This made me laugh! So true for me too!

A colleague saw me eating a bag of chips the other day, and was shocked! She said, "I'm surprised you eat those!"

• 6 months later...
etm567 Newbie

I'm not sure exactly what to say I have. I found out I was celiac, gave up wheat, was better for a few years. I have always loved popcorn, and have always eaten lots of it.

I got better from going wheat free. After a couple of years, maybe three or four, I dared fate and ate some bread. (I just couldn't resist it.) I didn't have an immediate reaction, so I kept eating it. I gradually built up a reaction again. This began first with lots of gas, and then later on the cramping and diarrhea. And of course I had to go off of wheat again.

Then, maybe a year later, I had a sudden full-blown gluten reaction. That for me means terrible cramping, some incredibly painful pooping with yellow poop, that eventually turns into total diarrhea and what seems like a complete emptying of my guts. It takes a while, like an hour or two, but it is then over. Usually. That would be if I have just eaten something at one meal or something like that.

I went to a new GI, as I didn't really have one. I told him I was completely perplexed, as I had given up wheat, gotten much better, then eaten wheat, gotten sick, then given it up again, and gotten better. And then, suddenly, in the last week I had had what I considered to be a full-blown gluten reaction, while I had not touched anything with wheat gluten in it. I did mention that I had been eating lots of popcorn, which was one of my all-time favorite snack foods, and that I had always snacked on it, with lots of butter. Yumm!

Without missing a beat, basically, he said my problem was probably corn, that there was a protein in corn that physically resembled the protein in gluten, and that thus there could be a "cross sensitivity" in some people.

Elsewhere on this site I have read that there is no such thing as a corn "cross sensitivity." But I cannot eat any corn products, whatsoever. And when I do, the reaction I get is not just a food allergy type reaction, where I might get hives. No, it is a gluten-type reaction, where my guts go crazy and I have tons of gas and agonizing poops that turn to total diarrhea.

I don't always get the hives, but sometimes I do. This could be from eating a food product that has maltodextrin in it, or any other such corn-derived substance.

From what the doc said, I have the impression that a) this is indeed a cross-sensitivity; and B) it is not at all uncommon.

Is it not a cross-sensitivity? If not, what would be the difference? Why do I have a gluten-like reaction to it? And while I say it is the same, it is not quite as bad. I think it might be, say, 80 percent of the horror of a reaction to wheat gluten. Which, by the way, I do not have when I stumble, as I am very good at avoiding wheat, but not nearly so good at avoiding corn. So a little bit of a corn-derived product will make me sick, whereas a similar wheat product will not immediately make me that sick, as I do not have those antibodies running around anymore. It took me a while to figure this out. but I finally did, when I ate some real wheat quite by mistake, with no reaction. I now know from experience that I would eventually react, but it does take a while if one has not had any wheat gluten in a few years. But since corn products are EVERYWHERE! it is much harder to avoid, and thus I have immediate reactions to it all the time. I just cannot seem to get it out of my diet altogether. I mean, it is in everything.

etm

dreacakes Rookie

I'm sensitive to all grains. When I eat corn I have the same reaction to eating wheat gluten.

There are medical practitioners and researchers out there who actually say that people with gluten intolerance need to avoid ALL grain. They claim it's essential for healing.

I know that for me, I had to cut out all grain before I began to get my health back. I'm on a paleo-esque diet. ("esque" because I do eat some goat dairy and a bit of sugar containing foods sometimes) I was put on the diet by my doctor, who'd had incredible success with putting his other patients on the diet as well.

It's very nutritious, makes you feel amazing, and has the science to back up it's healthfulness.

This book is a great starter book for the diet if you want to look into it more: Open Original Shared Link

foam Apprentice

The problem is you go off wheat and you replace it with other grain proteins in excess which you then get allergic to within a few years, corn is typically the next to go, after some more years you only have Rice left because it has the least protein, but even with rice sooner or later you can get allergic to it. In leaky gut we are dealing with an Immune system problem that attacks food protiens. As for allergies to colours and additives, that's not the same thing, the corn syrup and infections is just too much sugar. Right now after being Gluten free 100% for over 3 years I can totally eat Wheat, it's the ONLY grain I can eat with no effects. But of course if I keep eating it that will not last. But I don't mind eating it right now to gain weight since it's no big deal for me to not eat it and I rather eat that for the short time that I can tolerate it and use that time to lower my allergens to other grains. 3 years ago Wheat was the worst stuff ever and a instant pain in the gut for me, Now corn can somtimes be that bad, amazing how time changes things

• 2 weeks later...
anngf4life Rookie

I guess I will be eliminating corn now. I cooked a stew and made the roux with the corn oil and every this g else was gluten-free and I am in pain now, was feeling good after going gluten-free for 2 weeks now. Now that I am reading these results of a corn gluten I think I will be trying this now. Thanks for the info....hope everyone feels better soon.

foam Apprentice

You would be unlucky to be so sensitive to corn that the oil would affect you, what else was in the stew? any grains of any kind? lentils?. Very doubtful oil was the problem imho.

• 10 months later...
etm567 Newbie

You would be unlucky to be so sensitive to corn that the oil would affect you, what else was in the stew? any grains of any kind? lentils?. Very doubtful oil was the problem imho.

For me, that is not the case. Anything at all derived from corn seems to be a real problem for me. 

I have been low level sick (not really low level) for a couple of years now, and it seems to be because of the minute quantities of corn-derived products in foods and in medications, both over the counter and prescription. 

Sadly, I think you can be having what seems to be a low-level reaction to something, but if you keep having it over the long run it can really adversely impact your health. 

When I say low level, I mean the reaction that is like a gluten reaction is a smallish one. But at the same time I have been suffering with many vitamin deficiency symptoms which are quite horrible -- twitching, quivering, trembling, teeth chattering -- and this all feels  like terrible anxiety. I jump a couple of inches when I hear sudden sounds, but not bad sounds like little beeps when you play a computer game, I jump right off of the bed. And I get lots of cramps, leg cramps, foot cramps, all over cramps. I have even had symptoms of potassium deficiency -- sudden, overall weakness, feeling like a great big overcooked noodle, thinking I was going to just drop to the floor. Sometimes I can't sleep at all, and I think that might be caused my lack of magnesium. 

All these deficiency symptoms can be inter-related. Apparently, without sufficient magnesium, you can't hold on to enough potassium. And you need more B-6 with the magneisum. I take tons of supplements, and they help, but only a little tiny bit. And of course it is very difficult to FIND supplements with no corn-derived ingredients. 

I recently gave up my blood pressure medication, which apparently has corn things in it, and finally got better. I had already given up the other meds that I knew had corn in them (almost all do, by the way). I now use a patch for blood pressure. The only non-steroidal anti-inflammatory I can find is Aleve and I'm not sure about it. Now I read all malic acid (which I need for CFS) is made from corn. Don't know if that's true, but I'm trying to find out.

You're really between the rock and a hard place if you have vitamin deficiencies and need supplements and at the same time those supplements are full of ingredients that caused the deficiencies in the first place!

As I said, I don't go anywhere near corn oil. I avoid citric acid, maltodextrin, dextrose, glucose, cellulose -- the whole long list, actually. Xanthan gum is also a problem for me, and I think it is because it is usually made from corn. At home I use xanthan gum from Authentic Foods that isn't made from corn, and it seems not to bother me. I am sad I am now going to have to give up Joan's gluten free bread, as it is just about the only one I like. It has xanthan gum in it. I have written them and begged them to give up corn, but of course they believe only a few people have a problem with it. 

I apologize for being so long-winded, but this corn thing is running and ruining my life, my health, my ability to participate in any meaningful way in any activity.... I only hope we can somehow get corn labeled, and maybe eventually then important pharmaceutical ingredients might be made from other starches or other plants. And this is while I am trying like the devil to avoid it! Citric acid is in so many things! And maltodextrin. Sometimes that is made from tapioca, but it is usually labeled when it is. Not so for corn, though. 

I recently discovered kosher-for-passover ingredients. That can mean completely grain-free, apparently. At the right time of year there are noodles and matzo that are wheat and corn-free. There is even a kosher-for-passover baking powder out there somewhere that is corn-free. The only other one I can find is Feather- something. 

For me, and I am guessing more than a few other people, corn is a very big deal. 

Ellen

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I know how overwhelming this looks.  I looked up a corn allergen list the other day.  I printed off a list four pages long of potential corn terms.  This isn't a picnic, I thought.  I have been off corn a long time, but I didn't know how to recognize the four pages of terms.  Thankfully, most of my supplements were corn free.  I had to call every company and ask what their magnesium stearate... is derived from. 

There is still a lot of food to eat without grains.  S.C.D diet is something to look in to.  The letters stand for Special Carbohydrates Diet.  There is a sight online with recipes.  IF you can have nuts, it is really delicious food and it keeps me pleasantly full until the next meal. 

Glad I turned into that weird health food freak thanks to CELIAC Disease.  Thirty years of fatigue can drive one to really desperate levels.  At any rate, I learned, am still learning, so I have confidence that you can too.

D

bartfull Rising Star

Corn oil makes me EXTREMELY sick! The ONLY corn product I can tolerate (and in SMALL doses) is corn starch. The protein in the starch is mostly processed out of it, but if I get glutened (or corned like I did with those vitamins a few weeks ago), I lose corn starch for a while again.

w8in4dave Community Regular

I found out I was at least sensitive to corn when I was going up north. I had some gluten-free Corn chips. Yumm!! I had severe cramping and the next morning you know "D" then a few days later I went home from Up north ate the same Corn Chips ,"D" Bloating pain and ughhh was about to call 911 on my self! Then one day I went shopping with a friend. Nothing to eat or drink that morning , she said do you want something to drink? I said yea I'll take a coke... I had the big "D" when we hit town! Had to find a place right away!! OMG!! So yea I know the Corn Pain!! If I eat certain Chips or something, Pop HFCS effects me big time! It is so hard to stay away from Corn! Corn is everywhere!! Easier being gluten-free than Corn Free! But then try being gluten-free and Corn Free!! pffttt ughh just shoot me now!! I cannot believe some are Grain free, Gluten Free , soy Free, There are a few more... I don't know if I can do all that!! I may have to tho ... One day! I think I ma headed in that direction. Because Corn Free SUCKS! 

Minstinguette Rookie

Desperateladysaved, would you mind telling me what brand of supplements was safe for you (corn free)? I take some Kirkman Lab's but I am still looking for totally corn free B12. Vit C is not easy to find either.

I get bad gas and horrid bloating if I eat corn chips, If I eat any HFCS It goes right thru me withing ten minutes! Pain Pain Pain!! In my gut! You couldn't pay me to cook with Corn Oil. I think I can tolerate a lil bit of corn. But I sure try to stay away from it if at all possible!! 

I know how overwhelming this looks.  I looked up a corn allergen list the other day.  I printed off a list four pages long of potential corn terms.  This isn't a picnic, I thought.  I have been off corn a long time, but I didn't know how to recognize the four pages of terms.  Thankfully, most of my supplements were corn free.  I had to call every company and ask what their magnesium stearate... is derived from. 

There is still a lot of food to eat without grains.  S.C.D diet is something to look in to.  The letters stand for Special Carbohydrates Diet.  There is a sight online with recipes.  IF you can have nuts, it is really delicious food and it keeps me pleasantly full until the next meal. 

Glad I turned into that weird health food freak thanks to CELIAC Disease.  Thirty years of fatigue can drive one to really desperate levels.  At any rate, I learned, am still learning, so I have confidence that you can too.

D

I am kinda feeling the same way!! "That weird health food Lady" LOL But hey at least I feel better! Well mostly better anyway!

Salax Contributor

The corn pain! I love it w8in4dave! It's so true thought. Hurts like the devil. It's so hard to be corn intolerant. :angry:

1desperateladysaved Proficient

The last B-12 I got was PERQUE Activated B-12 Guard 2000, mcg Sublingual.  I got it online.   My B-Complex is Vital Nutrients and I get that from Professional Supplements company online.  I take the Vital nutrients multi-vitamin also.

D

Minstinguette Rookie

Thank you D. So mannitol in your B12 didn't bother you? It's usually made from corn, so I've been avoid it.

Archived