Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Corn Sensitivity

28 posts in this topic

I was told it this product was grain free.  Can mannitol be derived from something else?  I didn't know to check all possible names when I took it.  I did get over my shortage of B 12, so I stopped taking it.

Ads by Google:

Here is what I found on mannitol:

"Mannitol, a naturally occurring alcohol, is widely used in the food, pharmaceutical, medicine, and chemical industries. It is currently produced as a 25/75 mixture of mannitol and sorbitol (another sugar alcohol) by high pressure hydrogenation of 50/50 fructose/glucose mixture (corn derived sugars) in an aqueous solution at high temperature with a catalyst." http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/publications/publications.htm?seq_no_115=189024

I am not sure if there is such a thing as corn free mannitol. Maybe another corn free expert on this board can enlighten us?

I read the label and it declares there is no corn and other allergens in the product. I have never caught an incorrect label, but it could happen, I think.  It does list several allergens more than I did, including wheat, and yeast are not in theret. I could not find a phone number on the label.  I don't think it ever hurts to check where the ingredient is derived from before taking it. 

Usually many people post their favorites, so I hope you can find a simple one.  Actually you asked me in particular, so you may want to look for a post about vitamin B lozenges that don't contain corn.  If that doesn't work, you could always post a new thread about it.

I know this searching isn't easy.  I can look for entire days for supplements occasionally, I still don't get it right.  Always read the label when it arrives-before opening.  This is a great place to get ideas.  Some here eat corn, though, so do what you did here and look!

D