27 replies to this topic

#16 etm567

etm567

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:33 AM

You would be unlucky to be so sensitive to corn that the oil would affect you, what else was in the stew? any grains of any kind? lentils?. Very doubtful oil was the problem imho.

For me, that is not the case. Anything at all derived from corn seems to be a real problem for me. 

I have been low level sick (not really low level) for a couple of years now, and it seems to be because of the minute quantities of corn-derived products in foods and in medications, both over the counter and prescription. 

Sadly, I think you can be having what seems to be a low-level reaction to something, but if you keep having it over the long run it can really adversely impact your health. 

When I say low level, I mean the reaction that is like a gluten reaction is a smallish one. But at the same time I have been suffering with many vitamin deficiency symptoms which are quite horrible -- twitching, quivering, trembling, teeth chattering -- and this all feels  like terrible anxiety. I jump a couple of inches when I hear sudden sounds, but not bad sounds like little beeps when you play a computer game, I jump right off of the bed. And I get lots of cramps, leg cramps, foot cramps, all over cramps. I have even had symptoms of potassium deficiency -- sudden, overall weakness, feeling like a great big overcooked noodle, thinking I was going to just drop to the floor. Sometimes I can't sleep at all, and I think that might be caused my lack of magnesium. 

All these deficiency symptoms can be inter-related. Apparently, without sufficient magnesium, you can't hold on to enough potassium. And you need more B-6 with the magneisum. I take tons of supplements, and they help, but only a little tiny bit. And of course it is very difficult to FIND supplements with no corn-derived ingredients. 

I recently gave up my blood pressure medication, which apparently has corn things in it, and finally got better. I had already given up the other meds that I knew had corn in them (almost all do, by the way). I now use a patch for blood pressure. The only non-steroidal anti-inflammatory I can find is Aleve and I'm not sure about it. Now I read all malic acid (which I need for CFS) is made from corn. Don't know if that's true, but I'm trying to find out.

You're really between the rock and a hard place if you have vitamin deficiencies and need supplements and at the same time those supplements are full of ingredients that caused the deficiencies in the first place!

As I said, I don't go anywhere near corn oil. I avoid citric acid, maltodextrin, dextrose, glucose, cellulose -- the whole long list, actually. Xanthan gum is also a problem for me, and I think it is because it is usually made from corn. At home I use xanthan gum from Authentic Foods that isn't made from corn, and it seems not to bother me. I am sad I am now going to have to give up Joan's gluten free bread, as it is just about the only one I like. It has xanthan gum in it. I have written them and begged them to give up corn, but of course they believe only a few people have a problem with it. 

I apologize for being so long-winded, but this corn thing is running and ruining my life, my health, my ability to participate in any meaningful way in any activity.... I only hope we can somehow get corn labeled, and maybe eventually then important pharmaceutical ingredients might be made from other starches or other plants. And this is while I am trying like the devil to avoid it! Citric acid is in so many things! And maltodextrin. Sometimes that is made from tapioca, but it is usually labeled when it is. Not so for corn, though. 

I recently discovered kosher-for-passover ingredients. That can mean completely grain-free, apparently. At the right time of year there are noodles and matzo that are wheat and corn-free. There is even a kosher-for-passover baking powder out there somewhere that is corn-free. The only other one I can find is Feather- something. 

For me, and I am guessing more than a few other people, corn is a very big deal. 

Ellen

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:56 PM

I know how overwhelming this looks.  I looked up a corn allergen list the other day.  I printed off a list four pages long of potential corn terms.  This isn't a picnic, I thought.  I have been off corn a long time, but I didn't know how to recognize the four pages of terms.  Thankfully, most of my supplements were corn free.  I had to call every company and ask what their magnesium stearate... is derived from. 

There is still a lot of food to eat without grains.  S.C.D diet is something to look in to.  The letters stand for Special Carbohydrates Diet.  There is a sight online with recipes.  IF you can have nuts, it is really delicious food and it keeps me pleasantly full until the next meal. 

Glad I turned into that weird health food freak thanks to CELIAC Disease.  Thirty years of fatigue can drive one to really desperate levels.  At any rate, I learned, am still learning, so I have confidence that you can too.

D

#18 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:55 PM

Corn oil makes me EXTREMELY sick! The ONLY corn product I can tolerate (and in SMALL doses) is corn starch. The protein in the starch is mostly processed out of it, but if I get glutened (or corned like I did with those vitamins a few weeks ago), I lose corn starch for a while again.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#19 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:31 PM

I found out I was at least sensitive to corn when I was going up north. I had some gluten-free Corn chips. Yumm!! I had severe cramping and the next morning you know "D" then a few days later I went home from Up north ate the same Corn Chips ,"D" Bloating pain and ughhh was about to call 911 on my self! Then one day I went shopping with a friend. Nothing to eat or drink that morning , she said do you want something to drink? I said yea I'll take a coke... I had the big "D" when we hit town! Had to find a place right away!! OMG!! So yea I know the Corn Pain!! If I eat certain Chips or something, Pop HFCS effects me big time! It is so hard to stay away from Corn! Corn is everywhere!! Easier being gluten-free than Corn Free! But then try being gluten-free and Corn Free!! pffttt ughh just shoot me now!! I cannot believe some are Grain free, Gluten Free , soy Free, There are a few more... I don't know if I can do all that!! I may have to tho ... One day! I think I ma headed in that direction. Because Corn Free SUCKS! 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#20 Minstinguette

Minstinguette

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:23 AM

Desperateladysaved, would you mind telling me what brand of supplements was safe for you (corn free)? I take some Kirkman Lab's but I am still looking for totally corn free B12. Vit C is not easy to find either.

Intolerant to gluten, corn and dairy
Gluten free since 2010

Hashimoto's

#21 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:17 AM

I get bad gas and horrid bloating if I eat corn chips, If I eat any HFCS It goes right thru me withing ten minutes! Pain Pain Pain!! In my gut! You couldn't pay me to cook with Corn Oil. I think I can tolerate a lil bit of corn. But I sure try to stay away from it if at all possible!! 

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#22 w8in4dave

w8in4dave

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:18 AM

I know how overwhelming this looks.  I looked up a corn allergen list the other day.  I printed off a list four pages long of potential corn terms.  This isn't a picnic, I thought.  I have been off corn a long time, but I didn't know how to recognize the four pages of terms.  Thankfully, most of my supplements were corn free.  I had to call every company and ask what their magnesium stearate... is derived from. 

There is still a lot of food to eat without grains.  S.C.D diet is something to look in to.  The letters stand for Special Carbohydrates Diet.  There is a sight online with recipes.  IF you can have nuts, it is really delicious food and it keeps me pleasantly full until the next meal. 

Glad I turned into that weird health food freak thanks to CELIAC Disease.  Thirty years of fatigue can drive one to really desperate levels.  At any rate, I learned, am still learning, so I have confidence that you can too.

D

I am kinda feeling the same way!! "That weird health food Lady" LOL But hey at least I feel better! Well mostly better anyway!

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

#23 Salax

Salax

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:12 PM

The corn pain! I love it w8in4dave! It's so true thought. Hurts like the devil. It's so hard to be corn intolerant. :angry:

Salax
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Celiac Disease - Gluten Free since Feb 2009,
Cow Milk &  Corn free - June 2012,
Gall Bladder Failure - Removed July 2009,
Colitis, Hashimotos Disease, & Diverticulitis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
( )_( )
(='.'=)
(")_(") Eat your vegetables!

#24 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:45 PM

The last B-12 I got was PERQUE Activated B-12 Guard 2000, mcg Sublingual.  I got it online.   My B-Complex is Vital Nutrients and I get that from Professional Supplements company online.  I take the Vital nutrients multi-vitamin also.

D

#25 Minstinguette

Minstinguette

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:20 AM

Thank you D. So mannitol in your B12 didn't bother you? It's usually made from corn, so I've been avoid it.

Gluten free since 2010

Hashimoto's

#26 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:48 PM

I was told it this product was grain free.  Can mannitol be derived from something else?  I didn't know to check all possible names when I took it.  I did get over my shortage of B 12, so I stopped taking it.

#27 Minstinguette

Minstinguette

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 04:35 PM

Here is what I found on mannitol:

"Mannitol, a naturally occurring alcohol, is widely used in the food, pharmaceutical, medicine, and chemical industries. It is currently produced as a 25/75 mixture of mannitol and sorbitol (another sugar alcohol) by high pressure hydrogenation of 50/50 fructose/glucose mixture (corn derived sugars) in an aqueous solution at high temperature with a catalyst." http://www.ars.usda....q_no_115=189024

I am not sure if there is such a thing as corn free mannitol. Maybe another corn free expert on this board can enlighten us?

Gluten free since 2010

Hashimoto's

#28 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 05:31 PM

I read the label and it declares there is no corn and other allergens in the product. I have never caught an incorrect label, but it could happen, I think.  It does list several allergens more than I did, including wheat, and yeast are not in theret. I could not find a phone number on the label.  I don't think it ever hurts to check where the ingredient is derived from before taking it. 

Usually many people post their favorites, so I hope you can find a simple one.  Actually you asked me in particular, so you may want to look for a post about vitamin B lozenges that don't contain corn.  If that doesn't work, you could always post a new thread about it.

I know this searching isn't easy.  I can look for entire days for supplements occasionally, I still don't get it right.  Always read the label when it arrives-before opening.  This is a great place to get ideas.  Some here eat corn, though, so do what you did here and look!

D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: