11 replies to this topic

#1 amcam17

amcam17

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:02 PM

Ok so it's almost been a week now that I've been on this new diet. I tried gluten free pasta tonight, I have to admit it wasn't awful but it was so super bland and it wasn't very flavorful even with the sauce on it (bland as well). What kinds of pasta do you guys eat and what sauce?

Also, the hard taco shells are they gluten free??? I really want to try a taco receipe that I found, but I don't want to get glutened!

Let me know, thoughts are appreciated.
God bless!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 notme!

notme!

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:27 PM

ortega hard taco shells say 'gluten free' right on the box, (handy for when i send the husband/kids to the store for taco shells lolz) but i have used different brands with no problem - make sure you read the box :)

tinkyada is 'the kind' pasta - we tried many other brands (mushy, grainy, etc) and that is the brand that is closest to 'regular' pasta.

welcome and good luck!

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Razzle Dazzle Brazell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:08 PM

I like corn and rice pasta. My mom bought it at walmart finally supporting me and its the best gluten-free pasta I ever had. Follow the directions for amount of time to boil and the trick is to cook in some sugar (i use stevia). Its so good. Pasta is the best, in my opinion when it is baked for a little bit with the sauce on it after thorougly draining excess water
Gluten and Oat Free 6/'12
Dairy, Corn and Yeast free 7/'12
Nightshade Free, Candida diet & low salicylates 8/'12
Nightshades and carbs and sugars limitedly reintroduced, most salicylates now tolerated 9/'12
No longer Reacting to yeasty breads 10/'12
Test confirmed yeast overgrowth, back on Candida diet 11/'12

You only get one life so make it count.

#4 Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Razzle Dazzle Brazell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:20 PM

Ok so it's almost been a week now that I've been on this new diet. I tried gluten free pasta tonight, I have to admit it wasn't awful but it was so super bland and it wasn't very flavorful even with the sauce on it (bland as well). What kinds of pasta do you guys eat and what sauce?

Also, the hard taco shells are they gluten free??? I really want to try a taco receipe that I found, but I don't want to get glutened!

God bless!

Oh and i was very pleased to learn that Hunts has many gluten free sauces.Classico brand is very good. I personally like to make my own with water, tomato paste (which costs like 87˘), parmesean cheese, and a blend of italian herbs. It takes less than five minutes and makes a whole jar....just in case you dont find any to your liking.
Gluten and Oat Free 6/'12
Dairy, Corn and Yeast free 7/'12
Nightshade Free, Candida diet & low salicylates 8/'12
Nightshades and carbs and sugars limitedly reintroduced, most salicylates now tolerated 9/'12
No longer Reacting to yeasty breads 10/'12
Test confirmed yeast overgrowth, back on Candida diet 11/'12

You only get one life so make it count.

#5 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:23 PM

OrtegaTaco shells & Bi_Aglut pasta are te best....Bi_Aglut worth every penny.. Family has no idea they are eating gluten-free pasta...

#6 1974girl

1974girl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:08 PM

I believe the Taco Bell brand kits are NOT gluten free. But I buy Ortega and they are. I like corn pasta better than the rice pasta. It seems to not get as mushy.

#7 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:14 PM

Homemade pasta and sauce! You just knew I would say that. I make my own and am making more tomorrow.

Have tried both rice and corn pastas - blech. There is one brand I tasted that I do like and that is Udon King. You can get buckwheat, millet with brown rice, sweet potato...and it does not get mushy or clumpy, either.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#8 amcam17

amcam17

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:10 PM

ortega hard taco shells say 'gluten free' right on the box, (handy for when i send the husband/kids to the store for taco shells lolz) but i have used different brands with no problem - make sure you read the box :)

tinkyada is 'the kind' pasta - we tried many other brands (mushy, grainy, etc) and that is the brand that is closest to 'regular' pasta.

welcome and good luck!

Saweet!!! Thank you so much! I will have to try the tacos this weekend for sure and make note of that pasta!

#9 amcam17

amcam17

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:11 PM

Homemade pasta and sauce! You just knew I would say that. I make my own and am making more tomorrow.

Have tried both rice and corn pastas - blech. There is one brand I tasted that I do like and that is Udon King. You can get buckwheat, millet with brown rice, sweet potato...and it does not get mushy or clumpy, either.

Would you be willing to share that home made pasta receipe with me??????

#10 Kirstie

Kirstie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:59 AM

God bless!

I lived off pasta before realising I couldn't eat gluten! Now I eat Gluten Free pasta, and it is very bland. I found a great recipe and love it!

I boil the pasta and fry up some bacon or chorizo. I then put the boiled pasta in a baking tray, cover in it Carbonara sauce, add the bacon or chorizo and cover in mozzarella cheese and then bake for about 10-15 minutes and eat with salad. Its a lovely, easy simple pasta dish, and you can't even tell its gluten free pasta!

#11 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:03 AM

Tinkyada is the best gluten-free pasta we have found. Our son does not like sauce on them, just his dairy/soy free "butter." He even likes the colored one that has a small amount of veggie mixed into the pasta (shhhh! Don't tell him! LOL)

- Vincent -

#12 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:56 AM

God bless!

We like Schar and Bio-Nature, but bio-nature has soy so I don't use it much. If you don't care about soy, it's like wheat pasta.

Also, a lot of the time for spaghetti, we use spaghetti squash instead of starchy noodles, it's really good and even my picky "traditional" husband accepts and loves it! Takes up the flavor of the sauce very nicely and our grain-free daughters can eat it.
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: