3 replies to this topic

#1 Debbierb

Debbierb

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 04:04 PM

I just got back from the Kosher Market in Tustin CA and they have a lot of gluten-free items for Passover.

Apparently, once a year at Passover they carry bake goods that are made without flour.

I had a piece of the chocolate roll and I felt like I was cheating on my diet. It was wonderful! I canít believe I found something so good thatís gluten-free.
They had cookies, lady fingers, jelly rolls, chocolate rolls, marble cake and sponge cake. I thought I was in heaven!

The chocolate chip cookies were good, but they did have a little lemon taste to them. The lady fingers were really good and I canít wait to try the sponge cake with my strawberries, saving that one for desert after dinner. They had cookies covered in dark chocolate that were good except I prefer light chocolate.
I didnít try the jelly roll myself but my friend I was there with did and she said it was incredibly good. She had thought she would never be able to eat a jelly roll again, let alone one that tasted so good.

Anyway, if you happen to have a Kosher Market in your area you might try going there and see if they have any gluten-free baked goods for Passover. It was well worth the trip! Iím going to go back before Passover and get some more and freeze them so I can have them later while everyone else is enjoying their cakes I can enjoy mine!

Debbie

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 04:08 PM

Where in Tustin was it? (I'm in OC myself...)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 GFdoc

GFdoc

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 05:26 PM

PLEASE BEWARE! Kosher for passover may still contain wheat - it just has to be in the form of matzo (also spelled matzah or matzoh) which is made from wheat. If the cakes you see contain matzo meal or matzo cake meal or anything that contains matzo YOU ARE NOT SAFE. As long as there is no matzo in any form, then you can be sure it is gluten-free. also, kosher for passover foods labeled "non gebroks" do not contain matzo or wheat.
Sara
Sara gluten-free since 9/03

#4 Debbierb

Debbierb

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 10:35 PM

The food we got is gluten-free. I found it through the OC celiac group. Even the clerk there was knowledgable about it and was able to tell people which ones were gluten-free and which ones were not.

It's by Elizabeth Howards Curtain Call Theatre on El Camino Real at the El Camino Plaza. It's call the OC Kosher Market.

Enjoy
Debbie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: