#1 Danijela

Danijela

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 04:28 PM

Hey Everyone!
I just had a celiac blood screening done on Monday I haven't received the results yet, however I was wondering if anyone else has experienced any issues with balance. I find at times (more often at night) I have a real problem with balance and find myself sort of swaying or feeling like i'm going to fall.
Has anyone else experienced this???

Thanks
Danijela
DANIJELA
"HE WHO ANGERS YOU CONQUERS YOU"

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bluelotus

bluelotus

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 04:38 PM

I used to get dizziness and ringing in my ear ..... seemed to be associated with my headaches, which, I now know, were caused by a gluten reaction. I'd like to see what others have to say as well. I hope it clears up for you!

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 05:11 PM

I believe that there has been a reported connection between balance issues and the central nervous system manifestations of celiac disease in some people. Others on the board have discussed this before, and I'm sure they'll have some useful information for you soon! :-)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#4 Nantzie

Nantzie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 09:16 AM

If it does turn out that I have celiac disease, then balance would have been my first, most obvious symptom. I had an incident of heat exhaustion and then I got mono in the same 3-4 month period, then after that, I could only stand a certain way if I didn't have someone to hang on to. I thought it was secondary to the heat exhaustion. My balance got a little better over time, but it's still pretty bad.

Nancy
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
~Chinese Proverb

#5 nikki-uk

nikki-uk

Out running.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 09:34 AM

Yes,my husband definitely had a problem with his balance.
After standing he would have to stand and 'sway' for a minute while he waited for the dizzyness and nausea to pass.Sometimes though it would come over him out the blue.My husband compared it to 'almost fainting'.
Now that he seems to be recovering on gluten-free diet he hasn't had any spells for ages.
Good luck with your results!
It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

Posted Image

#6 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,767 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 05:42 AM

Hey Everyone!
I just had a celiac blood screening done on Monday I haven't received the results yet, however I was wondering if anyone else has experienced any issues with balance. I find at times (more often at night) I have a real problem with balance and find myself sort of swaying or feeling like i'm going to fall.
Has anyone else experienced this???

Thanks
Danijela

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, It is called gluten ataxia, this was my main symptom other than constipation and learning problems as a kid. It got so bad with me that I was thought to have MS. It is also the first sign that I have gotten into something I shouldn't have. The ataxia hits within minutes of injestion, depression and DH blisters the next day then the GI symptoms the next. Being gluten-free stopped the ataxia within a very short time. I was able to give up my canadian canes within 2 months. They are now a sculpture of sorts in the corner of my bedroom. And the best part is no one thinkds I drink anymore, people (including one neuro) thought I was hiding an alcohol problem. They never believed me when I told them I didn't drink more than 2 non-alcoholic beers on a Saturday night. Of course now I know I was geting drunk effects from the gluten in the beer. I can drink half a bottle of wine and not have the same hangover and drunkenness I used to get from 2 non-alcoholic beer.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: