17 replies to this topic

#1 cavernio

cavernio

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:56 PM

So in a couple of posts I've read and made, words are becoming links. Is this a new thing endorsed by the site?

It's really, really awful, but you think that the person actually made their own hyperlink to something pertinent and useful, but it's actually just spam that has nothing to do with anything, they aren't even gluten-free or celiac related. I'm not ok with this. I'd rather have pop-ups I can't block than crap like that cluttering up our posts. Please say it's a mistake?
diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:07 PM

So in a couple of posts I've read and made, words are becoming links. Is this a new thing endorsed by the site?

It's really, really awful, but you think that the person actually made their own hyperlink to something pertinent and useful, but it's actually just spam that has nothing to do with anything, they aren't even gluten-free or celiac related. I'm not ok with this. I'd rather have pop-ups I can't block than crap like that cluttering up our posts. Please say it's a mistake?

I am not seeing this behavior myself. Maybe you installed some software unintentionally on your end that did it? A tool bar in your web browser maybe?

- Vincent -

#3 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:11 PM

Applebys you can make a link instead of the whole website coming out like www.karenscookies .com. instead you can insert that into the link and give it a name.

If you are seeing spam ones, please use the report button on the bottom left of the post box. Then it will let you give the mods a reason for the report. We try to keep spam out but we do allow people to post a link to something relavent to the topic. For example, we were talking about what lunch boxes work and people posted links to pictures of the kinds we had. As long as I'm not posting a link to my product that I sell, it should be OK.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#4 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:14 PM

Applebysyou can make a link instead of the whole website coming out like www.karenscookies .com. instead you can insert that into the link and give it a name.

If you are seeing spam ones, please use the report button on the bottom left of the post box. Then it will let you give the mods a reason for the report. We try to keep spam out but we do allow people to post a link to something relavent to the topic. For example, we were talking about what lunch boxes work and people posted links to pictures of the kinds we had. As long as I'm not posting a link to my product that I sell, it should be OK.

Karen, he said that they are showing up in HIS posts, that is different. That makes me think something on his computer is doing it rather then a spammer.

- Vincent -

#5 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:17 PM

I just went back through your last 10 or so posts and didn't see any links. Maybe it's specific to your computer?
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#6 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:17 PM

Karen, he said that they are showing up in HIS posts, that is different. That makes me think something on his computer is doing it rather then a spammer.

He's made? I just saw he has read. IF he would tell us one, maybe we could see if we can see the link, too?

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#7 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:20 PM

He's made? I just saw he has read. IF he would tell us one, maybe we could see if we can see the link, too?

Karen..

I could be way off base, but I suspect he has some adware/etc on his computer instead of it being an issue with this forum.

- Vincent -

#8 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:23 PM

Karen..

I could be way off base, but I suspect he has some adware/etc on his computer instead of it being an issue with this forum.

Yea...you're right. I just missed the "I wrote" part. If you could have seen me, I looked like this :o and said. "OH"

But what I put about reporting is a good learning opportunity for others reading this thread. B)

santa-dance.gif

#9 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,072 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:28 PM

I also went and looked at a number of her recent posts, and saw no links.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#10 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:41 PM

Something in your browser? Maybe you need a script blocker.
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

#11 cavernio

cavernio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:47 AM

Sorry for posting here first, this was just the first website where it cropped up, but I do realize now that it's something on my computer only as all the websites I'm going to have it.
diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

#12 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:04 AM

Sorry for posting here first, this was just the first website where it cropped up, but I do realize now that it's something on my computer only as all the websites I'm going to have it.

No need to apologize. You might want to get a good anti-virus scanner and scan your system. One like Avast, which has a free version, would be a good start: http://www.avast.com...ivirus-download

- Vincent -

#13 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:49 AM

You might also want to install Malwarebytes and run a full scan with it. It picked up some malware on my computer a long while ago after my granddaughter was doing a very innocent search for doll hats and she told me something was wrong with my computer. It took care of the problem even though my virus scanning program (AVG) didn't pick it up. I was so impressed with Malwarebytes that I actually bought the paid version which runs silently in the background all the time.

Free version here:
http://www.malwareby...lwarebytes_free

Just suggesting this as a possibility in addition to a virus scanning program. Do you also have a firewall installed (or use the built-in Windows firewall)?
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#14 admin

admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,480 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:08 AM

Yes, this is something on your end not on ours...we do not allow spam links here.

Take care,
Scott
Scott Adams
Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator
Founder Gluten-Free Mall
Founder Celiac.com

#15 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:01 PM

You can also install and use Mozilla Firefozx and add noscript to it. Noscript blocks all web site scripts unless you allow them to run. So you can prevent unscrupulous sites from adding junk to you computer.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: