This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Why Are Random Words Becoming Links?

cavernio

cavernio Enthusiast

So in a couple of posts I've read and made, words are becoming links. Is this a new thing endorsed by the site?

It's really, really awful, but you think that the person actually made their own hyperlink to something pertinent and useful, but it's actually just spam that has nothing to do with anything, they aren't even gluten-free or celiac related. I'm not ok with this. I'd rather have pop-ups I can't block than crap like that cluttering up our posts. Please say it's a mistake?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient

So in a couple of posts I've read and made, words are becoming links. Is this a new thing endorsed by the site?

It's really, really awful, but you think that the person actually made their own hyperlink to something pertinent and useful, but it's actually just spam that has nothing to do with anything, they aren't even gluten-free or celiac related. I'm not ok with this. I'd rather have pop-ups I can't block than crap like that cluttering up our posts. Please say it's a mistake?

I am not seeing this behavior myself. Maybe you installed some software unintentionally on your end that did it? A tool bar in your web browser maybe?

kareng Grand Master

Applebys you can make a link instead of the whole website coming out like www.karenscookies .com. instead you can insert that into the link and give it a name.

If you are seeing spam ones, please use the report button on the bottom left of the post box. Then it will let you give the mods a reason for the report. We try to keep spam out but we do allow people to post a link to something relavent to the topic. For example, we were talking about what lunch boxes work and people posted links to pictures of the kinds we had. As long as I'm not posting a link to my product that I sell, it should be OK.

VydorScope Proficient

Applebysyou can make a link instead of the whole website coming out like www.karenscookies .com. instead you can insert that into the link and give it a name.

If you are seeing spam ones, please use the report button on the bottom left of the post box. Then it will let you give the mods a reason for the report. We try to keep spam out but we do allow people to post a link to something relavent to the topic. For example, we were talking about what lunch boxes work and people posted links to pictures of the kinds we had. As long as I'm not posting a link to my product that I sell, it should be OK.

Karen, he said that they are showing up in HIS posts, that is different. That makes me think something on his computer is doing it rather then a spammer.

Jestgar Rising Star

I just went back through your last 10 or so posts and didn't see any links. Maybe it's specific to your computer?

kareng Grand Master

Karen, he said that they are showing up in HIS posts, that is different. That makes me think something on his computer is doing it rather then a spammer.

He's made? I just saw he has read. IF he would tell us one, maybe we could see if we can see the link, too?

VydorScope Proficient

He's made? I just saw he has read. IF he would tell us one, maybe we could see if we can see the link, too?

Karen..

I could be way off base, but I suspect he has some adware/etc on his computer instead of it being an issue with this forum.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Karen..

I could be way off base, but I suspect he has some adware/etc on his computer instead of it being an issue with this forum.

Yea...you're right. I just missed the "I wrote" part. If you could have seen me, I looked like this :o and said. "OH"

But what I put about reporting is a good learning opportunity for others reading this thread. B)

psawyer Proficient

I also went and looked at a number of her recent posts, and saw no links.

beachbirdie Contributor

Something in your browser? Maybe you need a script blocker.

cavernio Enthusiast

Sorry for posting here first, this was just the first website where it cropped up, but I do realize now that it's something on my computer only as all the websites I'm going to have it.

VydorScope Proficient

Sorry for posting here first, this was just the first website where it cropped up, but I do realize now that it's something on my computer only as all the websites I'm going to have it.

No need to apologize. You might want to get a good anti-virus scanner and scan your system. One like Avast, which has a free version, would be a good start: Open Original Shared Link

sa1937 Community Regular

You might also want to install Malwarebytes and run a full scan with it. It picked up some malware on my computer a long while ago after my granddaughter was doing a very innocent search for doll hats and she told me something was wrong with my computer. It took care of the problem even though my virus scanning program (AVG) didn't pick it up. I was so impressed with Malwarebytes that I actually bought the paid version which runs silently in the background all the time.

Free version here:

Open Original Shared Link

Just suggesting this as a possibility in addition to a virus scanning program. Do you also have a firewall installed (or use the built-in Windows firewall)?

Scott Adams Grand Master

Yes, this is something on your end not on ours...we do not allow spam links here.

Take care,

Scott

GFinDC Veteran

You can also install and use Mozilla Firefozx and add noscript to it. Noscript blocks all web site scripts unless you allow them to run. So you can prevent unscrupulous sites from adding junk to you computer.

beachbirdie Contributor

Actually it's a great place to ask a question! Otherwise you might not know what's really going on.

So...you've gotten several good suggestions; Malwarebytes is an excellent tool, I highly recommend. I also second the suggestion for NoScript if you are using Firefox, or something similar if you have other browsers.

If you are not sure about looking more deeply into your computer, I also recommend a couple of sites that have great volunteer helpers (but well-trained ones) who can look at some stuff for you and tell you if there is something more serious going on. And it's FREE. I got one of the worst "bad guys" out there in malware-land that turned my computer into a spambot. It was AWFUL. They helped me clean up my system.

I have used both Open Original Shared Link and Open Original Shared Link, I think PC Pitstop was a little faster response time. Open Original Shared Link has a help forum as well, and here are others, but these guys are good.

You have to sign up for a free account, (just like here) but you will NOT be spammed or harassed.

Hopefully this is not "overkill", LOL.

ciamarie Rookie

I thought I'd add one of my personal favorites for Windows systems (I use Linux, but I have a WinXP virtual machine that I use on occasion), is called Open Original Shared Link. There's a free version, as well as a paid version. And the creator of WinPatrol has specials now & then which I've seen on his Twitter feed, for upgrading to the paid version. I've only used the free version so far, and what it does is have the scout on patrol (a little dog named Scotty, there's a dog icon on the task bar), and alert you and ask permission for any changes to the system, such as new software or an auto-scheduler. If you have your speaker turned on, the permission window will also have a little 'rruff' bark alert.

And I'm not associated with the software in any way, except as a user, and I follow the guy (BillP) on twitter.

Razzle Dazzle Brazell Enthusiast

I use a tablet on a secure server. I encountered the same exact thing last night on a post where an individual had posted several photibucket links. When i clicked on it, every one of her links took me to this random site but it was an older post and several other ppl had commented back to her in a serious convo so idt its ppl trying to advertise either. I thought it was strange and annoying myself :huh:

Archived