This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Anyone Ever Get Mcdonalds Burgers

beebs

beebs Enthusiast

Have you reacted to it? I am starting to get desperate on long drives, I read the website and it says a few of them are gluten-free - but I'm just wondering about cross contamination etc.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Have you reacted to it? I am starting to get desperate on long drives, I read the website and it says a few of them are gluten-free - but I'm just wondering about cross contamination etc.

Cross contamination is not the correct term, but it's frequently used, so I understand what you are asking.

Cross CONTACT is a high risk at fast food restaurants, where the staff is paid minimum wage and not well informed. There in is your risk. The burgers, out of the freezer are most likely gluten free. What happens after that is subject to cross contact.

I have ordered one on a bed of lettuce and the lettuce wilted and it was a big mess. I don't remember getting ill, but I'm not too sensitive. But not very impressed with the offer McD's offered me.

French fries, I have never had a problem. You can find other options on line. The Fries are tested and considered safe for people with Celiac to consume. Some people choose to, others, not.

If I was on the road, I would look for Wendy's. You have more options and you can find their gluten free menu online.

The bottom line is...that it won't be the same thing that you remember.

But, that's up to you. B)

Adalaide Mentor

I wouldn't eat at McDonald's, which has nothing to do with the fry debate. To the best of my knowledge the seasoning they use on the Angus burgers has wheat. Since all burgers get cooked on the same grill in the same place, that means that it's quite likely that the regular burgers will end up with a small amount of gluten on them. I tend to be rather sensitive and am not willing to risk spending an evening locked in the bathroom over a burger.

As Lisa suggests, Wendy's is great. I eat there frequently, far more often than I have any business eating fast food. (Ad a matter of fact I ate there tonight.) I've had burgers without buns, baked potatoes, salads (always verify they have grilled and not breaded chicken and no croutons), frostys (not the parfait, the apple one has granola) and french fries. Always, no matter where you eat verify that french fries are done in a dedicated fryer to prevent CC from all the breaded stuff most restaurants serve. We had a really mild winter and I can't remember now if I had chili before or after my diagnosis and can't remember if it's gluten free or not. I keep a binder in my Jeep with lists of gluten free foods at some local places so if I find myself out and hungry or suddenly invited somewhere I can attempt to eat safely. Of all of the gluten free options I reviewed at all of the fast food places we have locally Wendy's has the largest selection.

lovegrov Collaborator

The Angus seasoning lists no wheat whatsoever:

Angus Burger Seasoning: Salt, sugar, onion powder, natural (animal, plant and botanical source) and artificial flavors, spice, maltodextrin, autolyzed yeast extract, dried beef broth, dextrose, garlic powder, worcestershire sauce powder [distilled vinegar, molasses, corn syrup, salt, caramel color, garlic powder, sugar, spices, tamarind, natural flavor (fruit source)], spice extractives, beef fat, caramel color, annatto and turmeric (color).

HOWEVER, the McDonalds burger without a bun that I've had was by far the worst of any place I've been. The best, IMO, is the Low Carb Thickburger at Hardees (Carls). And at any place like that you're taking a chance of cross contamination or cross contact or whatever you want to call it.

richard

VydorScope Proficient

The Angus seasoning lists no wheat whatsoever:

Angus Burger Seasoning: Salt, sugar, onion powder, natural (animal, plant and botanical source) and artificial flavors, spice, maltodextrin, autolyzed yeast extract, dried beef broth, dextrose, garlic powder, worcestershire sauce powder [distilled vinegar, molasses, corn syrup, salt, caramel color, garlic powder, sugar, spices, tamarind, natural flavor (fruit source)], spice extractives, beef fat, caramel color, annatto and turmeric (color).

HOWEVER, the McDonalds burger without a bun that I've had was by far the worst of any place I've been. The best, IMO, is the Low Carb Thickburger at Hardees (Carls). And at any place like that you're taking a chance of cross contamination or cross contact or whatever you want to call it.

richard

I typically eat burgers without bun since I am diabetic... but I do not have any issue with Gluten. My son does, and for now at least I just do not risk it with him. McD's and others of that caliber tend to higher teenagers and I have not seen any of those stores where I can say I was impressed with their food handling skills. I can not even begin to count the number of times they have gotten my order wrong in ways that are just annoying to me (ie ops we forgot and left the bun on, or an onion ring in my fries) but would be a serious problem for some one with food issues.

That is just my opinion, not based on anything but my personal experience.

Darn210 Enthusiast

Richard, when the Angus burger first came out, the seasoning DID have wheat or barley or something in it. I don't know when they took it out.

Prior to the Angus burger, my daughter use to get the occassional McD's burger without a bun. She did fine with it, but she's not overly sensitive. I do remember calling to ask the local McD's when they actually put the Angus burger seasoning on . . . after it's removed from the grill or when it was still on. The manager told me it was while it was still on the grill and that's when we stopped with the burgers.

I noticed a few months ago (the first time I had checked in a long time) that there was no longer gluten listed in the Angus seasoning but we haven't had a McD's burger since then. In general, when we are on the road we shoot for a Wendy's because the whole family prefers it.

IrishHeart Veteran

And at any place like that you're taking a chance of cross contamination or cross contact or whatever you want to call it.

I think so, too. Cross-contamination can happen anywhere.

It's just the way it is, I'm afraid.

:(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

That's my bad on the seasoning, I guess I looked at an old ingredient list. Where I live fast food places don't hire teenagers, they hire people who don't speak English. I get that everyone needs a job but if I can't communicate my needs to someone who understands me I can't be safe. Wendy's is the only local national fast food place that hires adults who speak fluent English. We have Sonics but all the workers there look 12. (The older I get the younger kids with jobs seem to be.) We also have In-N-Out but they're a little farther away and I just haven't bothered going there yet. They also aren't a national chain so I couldn't travel and eat there.

CeliacMom2012 Newbie

I have found that the Waterburger where we live is an awesome place for me to take my son who has Celiac, and this may be due to the fact that the manager has Celiac also. They will do everything so specific its crazy.

faithforlife Apprentice

Really? I've never tried Whataburger. Good to know! We do Wendy's.

Kelleybean Enthusiast

Harder to find, but I've heard that 5 Guys does a good job.

~**caselynn**~ Enthusiast

I recently took a bus trip to NYC and on a stop midway, we had McD's. Now I would normally skip it or do my own thing, but another girl had said she eats there without trouble. (at her local one) soo, I got the burger, labeled gluten-free on the website, SICKER THAN A DOG DOESN'T EVEN BEGIN TO COVER IT.....and I had to ride an hour to the hotel, and 4 hrs home the next day...NEVER AGAIN will I eat at a place like that. It's like Russian roulette with your body, count me out.

lovegrov Collaborator

The 5 Guys that used to be in our area (closed) did about as good a job as a place like that could. The manager heard my request and took over making the burger, making sure to change gloves and to put down fresh foil in a cleaned off spot.

I still like the LC Thickburger best, but probably more chance of contamination. However, in the couple dozen times that I've eaten it, I've never gotten sick -- and boy do I get sick.

richard

lynnelise Apprentice

I do get bunless double cheeseburgers at McDonald's on occassion. So far no issues but locally the employees tend to be older and quite competent.

~**caselynn**~ Enthusiast

I do get bunless double cheeseburgers at McDonald's on occassion. So far no issues but locally the employees tend to be older and quite competent.

You are much braver than I am lol I had that one bad experience and never again for me!

Archived