12 replies to this topic

#1 Skittles

Skittles

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:15 PM

I am on the Canadian McDonalds website looking at the nutrition info, which is updated as of today. These are the ingredients contained in their french fries: Potatoes, canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, safflower oil, natural flavour (vegetable source),dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain colour), citric acid (preservative), dimethylpolysiloxane (antifoaming
agent) and cooked in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with THBQ, citric
acid and dimethypolysiloxane).

I don't know all of these ingredients. Does this look gluten free?
Diagnosed with celiac by blood test in the beginning of April 2012 and confirmed with endoscopy April 20th 2012.
Gluten free since May 2012 (for 5 months.. relapsed for about a month and have been gluten free again since Nov 2012)
Corn & corn syrup free since May 2012
Dairy limited since Aug 2012
Nightshades limited since Aug 2012

Fructose limited since Nov 2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:25 PM

I am on the Canadian McDonalds website looking at the nutrition info, which is updated as of today. These are the ingredients contained in their french fries: Potatoes, canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, safflower oil, natural flavour (vegetable source),dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain colour), citric acid (preservative), dimethylpolysiloxane (antifoaming
agent) and cooked in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with THBQ, citric
acid and dimethypolysiloxane).

I don't know all of these ingredients. Does this look gluten free?

I know here in America McDondals list the fries as having wheat in them (on their allergy page), and I have plenty of posts from people that have eaten them and had a gluten reaction. I do not know if they use different recipe in Canada though.

src: http://www.mcdonalds...on_choices.html

- Vincent -

#3 bennl1

bennl1

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:31 PM

This is what it says on the ingredients for the USA ( http://nutrition.mcd...edientslist.pdf )
French Fries:
Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor [wheat and milk derivatives]*, citric acid [preservative]), dextrose, sodium acid
pyrophosphate (maintain color), salt. Prepared in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to
preserve freshness). Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent.

So "natural beef flavor" for USA vs "natural flavor" for Canada. I guess they are the same.
Maybe you should email McDonalds about it.
Ben (58)

Diagnosed Celiac 12-Apr-2012
Dairy intolerant, B12 malabsorption, Bile acid malabsorption.
Osteopania
Lifetime of misdiagnoses.

2008-2011 Lived in Thailand, almost symptom free.
Now only eat Thai food.
Easy to cook - gluten/dairy free - delicious

#4 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:52 PM

What you've posted looks even safer than the US version! US McDonald's fries have been independently tested and come up gluten-free. The trace of wheat in the beef flavoring is used in an intermediate step.

What probably bothers people at McDonald's is if the fryer oil is filtered out of order and wheat from McNuggets or other batter fried foods gets into the potato fryers. Or even worse if other foods are cooked in the potato fryers (this is against policy at most McDonald's but occasionally you run across a tiny one in a mall or store that runs fewer fryers). If it's a McDonald's you visit regularly you can talk to the manager and make sure the potato fryers are filtered first and they never put battered foods in them.

#5 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:58 PM

McDonald's US fries have been independently tested and considered safe for those with Celiac to consume, as any wheat residue is processed out.

This is the "hotest" topic on C.com. Thousands upon thousands of posts have been dedicated to french fries...go figure? :blink:

I'm sure a Canadian will stop by soon. But, if I recall and as you posted, there are no gluten ingredients in those fries. But you should know that anytime you eat out, your risk the possibility of cross contact or cross contamination....especially in a fast food restaurant.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#6 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:16 PM

McDonald's US fries have been independently tested and considered safe for those with Celiac to consume, as any wheat residue is processed out.

This is the "hotest" topic on C.com. Thousands upon thousands of posts have been dedicated to french fries...go figure? :blink:

I'm sure a Canadian will stop by soon.

Yep! :rolleyes:

So in summary..

1) McDondals states there is wheat in their fries - VOLUNTARILY.
2) Some people who eat them have gluten reaction from them
3) Some people who eat them do not
4) A test was done on the fries, and with in the stated limits of the test they detected no gluten

That is the full story as I know it. It is up to you whether or not you want to risk them. I will not risk them with my son that is for sure.

- Vincent -

#7 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:13 PM

Yep! :rolleyes:

So in summary..

1) McDondals states there is wheat in their fries - VOLUNTARILY.
2) Some people who eat them have gluten reaction from them
3) Some people who eat them do not
4) A test was done on the fries, and with in the stated limits of the test they detected no gluten

That is the full story as I know it. It is up to you whether or not you want to risk them. I will not risk them with my son that is for sure.

I'm a #3. Good Summary.
Lisa

#8 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:44 PM

Without commenting on the original question, I will say this:

Based on the posting of ingredients in Canada, and applying Canadian rules, the Canadian fries are not identical to those in the US.

McD Canada says, "natural flavour (vegetable source)." The US discloses milk ingredients. Milk is not a vegetable source.

In both countries, wheat is an identified allergen which must be disclosed in an ingredients list. Restaurants are not required to have ingredient lists, but if the choose to do so, they must adhere to the rules.

A bit of McHistory, for those who are interested. The unique flavor of the McDonalds fries originally came from beef tallow. As a "natural flavor," it could be listed as just that. Many assumed that the fries were vegetarian. Some vegetarians sued McD because they did not explicitly say they were NOT vegetarian. So, on with the journey to replicate the flavor of beef tallow while being vegetarian. The concoction they came up with in the US uses wheat and milk to create an imitation (but "natural") beef tallow flavor.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#9 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:48 PM

A bit of McHistory, .

<snicker> Good one Peter. :D
Lisa

#10 Silencio

Silencio

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:34 PM

McDonalds fries are indeed gluten free in Canada. They also have dedicated fryers in a different area so they don't make a mistake of putting the fries in the chicken nuggets oil. I have ate there quite a bit since I found out a few months ago. Its not so weird to order a meal with no bun either. They say it happens all the time. I know its a risk eating there if your sensitive but I have had no problems at all.
CANADIAN!

#11 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:57 AM

A bit of McHistory, for those who are interested. The unique flavor of the McDonalds fries originally came from beef tallow. As a "natural flavor," it could be listed as just that. Many assumed that the fries were vegetarian. Some vegetarians sued McD because they did not explicitly say they were NOT vegetarian. So, on with the journey to replicate the flavor of beef tallow while being vegetarian. The concoction they came up with in the US uses wheat and milk to create an imitation (but "natural") beef tallow flavor.

Interesting. In the US, the switch to vegetable oil and beef flavor was a result of a huge consumer backlash when McDonald's revealed that the fries were being fried in tallow, a saturated fat. They switched to vegetable oil as a result. Something similar happened to movie popcorn popped in coconut oil.

#12 Skittles

Skittles

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:11 PM

McDonalds fries are indeed gluten free in Canada. They also have dedicated fryers in a different area so they don't make a mistake of putting the fries in the chicken nuggets oil. I have ate there quite a bit since I found out a few months ago. Its not so weird to order a meal with no bun either. They say it happens all the time. I know its a risk eating there if your sensitive but I have had no problems at all.

so you order a burger without the bun? so does the beef not have any additives such as gluten in it?
Diagnosed with celiac by blood test in the beginning of April 2012 and confirmed with endoscopy April 20th 2012.
Gluten free since May 2012 (for 5 months.. relapsed for about a month and have been gluten free again since Nov 2012)
Corn & corn syrup free since May 2012
Dairy limited since Aug 2012
Nightshades limited since Aug 2012

Fructose limited since Nov 2012

#13 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:58 PM

so you order a burger without the bun? so does the beef not have any additives such as gluten in it?

The McDonalds patty is 100% beef--nothing added.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: