9 replies to this topic

#1 bigbird16

bigbird16

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:39 AM

I've been hanging out on a diet web site lately as I try to lose weight. (Going good so far.) There was a new thread this morning asking for advice on the Bread for Life diet. I'd never heard of it but if it was what it sounded like, yuck. I looked it up. It made me want to keel over just thinking about eating that way! They recommend 12 slices of bread for women per day and 16 for men. OMG. Where's the emoticon that has rainbow puke? I laughed so hard at what they were recommending. Eat all this bread but do not eat fruit, because fruit will mess with your blood sugar. Part of their reasoning for so much bread is that the complex carbs in the bread increase serratonin levels, keep your blood sugar regulated, and keep you full and motivated. (Well if bread is so good at increasing seratonin, I shouldn't have needed Imitrex for my migraines. Just pop a loaf of whole wheat bread. Gluten is one of my migraine triggers.) This is one of the stupidest diets I've heard of! I'd think all that bread, whole grain or not, would clog up the pipes (unless you're an undiagnosed Celiac who gets D with gluten). All those carbs would send my blood sugar crashing, and I'd have the serious munchies. Oh my goodness. Be interesting to see what feedback she gets.
Migraines, ataxia, peripheral neuropathy, anxiety, paranoia, joint pain, vivid nightmares, exhaustion & lethargy, brain fog, bloat, GI issues--all gone or significantly reduced since dietary changes were made

Gluten-free (Nov. 2008), dairy-free (June 2009), soy-free (Aug. 2009), all-grains-and-grasses-but-rice-free (Nov. 2011); double HLA-DQ7

"'Always remember, Bilbo, when your heart wants lifting, think of pleasant things.' 'Eggs, bacon, a good full pipe, my garden at twilight....'" (The Hobbit, animated movie, 1977)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,121 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:48 AM

If I ate like that, I probably would lose weight. I'ld be soooo sick!

Seriously, even for a person with no gluten problems, it doesn't sound safe.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:35 AM

Holy sh*t. literally. 12 pieces of bread a day?

Posted Image

Mother Mary, within a few days, I would be sitting in a wheelchair in a mental health facility, my wig all askew, insane with nerve and bone pain and dumber than a haddock, wondering when Howard Hughes was coming to pick me up for our date and if he will mind if my giant purple bunny comes with us.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:15 AM

Holy sh*t. literally. 12 pieces of bread a day?

Posted Image

Mother Mary, within a few days, I would be sitting in a wheelchair in a mental health facility, my wig all askew, insane with nerve and bone pain and dumber than a haddock, wondering when Howard Hughes was coming to pick me up for our date and if he will mind if my giant purple bunny comes with us.

A laugh a day... & I just got mine! Thanks IH!Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

To the OP, well, you know, some people will buy into anything. But good golly Miss Molly 12 slices of bread a day???Posted ImagePosted Image WTF???

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#5 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,121 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:22 AM

I just thought of the total calories. At an average of 100 calories a slice ( averaged the two whole wheats my family had). That's 1200 calories in bread. You really couldn't eat anything else in this diet!

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:30 AM

I just thought of the total calories. At an average of 100 calories a slice ( averaged the two whole wheats my family had). That's 1200 calories in bread. You really couldn't eat anything else in this diet!

K, I agree--the calories, the carbs, the fiber...OUCH!!. My gut hurts just thinking about it. :blink:

although, truth be told, the "IH that was " COULD devour an entire homemade warm French baguette slathered in Kerry Gold Irish Butter back in the day....(fat) buTT, she also wore a size 20 pants at one point.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#7 bigbird16

bigbird16

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:23 PM

LOL I probably wouldn't make it through the first "meal." I'd be on the floor crying for my mommy. Something that unbalanced can't be healthy, and it's nutritionally lacking. Reminds me of the cabbage soup diet, where one day you get the pleasure of drinking 8 glasses of milk during the day with your cabbage soup or 8 bananas or some other crap.

IrishHeart, I too was one who could down a baguette or loaf of Cuban bread or package of Pillsbury crescent rolls dripping with butter back in the day. (And today has been the kind of day where I would have done just that.) Oooo, Kerry Gold was my favorite butter!
Migraines, ataxia, peripheral neuropathy, anxiety, paranoia, joint pain, vivid nightmares, exhaustion & lethargy, brain fog, bloat, GI issues--all gone or significantly reduced since dietary changes were made

Gluten-free (Nov. 2008), dairy-free (June 2009), soy-free (Aug. 2009), all-grains-and-grasses-but-rice-free (Nov. 2011); double HLA-DQ7

"'Always remember, Bilbo, when your heart wants lifting, think of pleasant things.' 'Eggs, bacon, a good full pipe, my garden at twilight....'" (The Hobbit, animated movie, 1977)

#8 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:27 PM

Oh my word!! I can only imagine the trouble I'd be in on that diet! 12 slices of bread is too much for anyone, never mind the fact I'm a Celiac. I know what 1 speck of cross contamination can do, I don't even dare imagine what 12 slices would feel like!? 😲 My poor Mommy's phone would be ringing all day from me crying that my guts hurt and hoping for it to be quick haha some people will try anything though, I have a friend who has her hands in the next best diet fads going. I won't mention the bread gig to her, I can't stand to watch that..... 😜
~**caselynn**~

#9 Lori2

Lori2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:11 AM

A loaf of multi-grain bread--soft inside--crispy, crunchy crust--gently warmed--dripping with butter-----I just died and went to heaven. Aahhhh (or should it be waaaaah).

#10 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:51 PM

Ick, I've been gluten free long enough to know not to go there but not long enough to forget how sick I could be. Ugh, even my Mom's homemade right out of the oven bread doesn't tempt me, now that's some good stuff!
~**caselynn**~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: