22 replies to this topic

#1 leudy

leudy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 08:03 PM

Help!!!!! I need ideas for quick gluten free breakfast foods. I have just found out I have Celiac and I am always on the go with work and kids and I need ideas of quick foods.
Any input is greatly appreciated!!!!
Lisa E

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 08:25 PM

* Smoothies (~10 minutes to make, then I stick it in a Nalgene bottle and drink it througout the morning)
* Rice cakes w/ peanut butter (~10 minutes to make and eat)
* Pancakes (make a big batch on a weekend, then put a bunch in the fridge. on a busy morning, take one out, spread some jam on it, fold in half, eat while heading out the door)
* Hot cereal (make a big batch on a weekend and heat up from the fridge to take less time)
* Hard boiled eggs (ditto)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 Jnkmnky

Jnkmnky

Bloom where you are planted.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 08:25 PM

We like the breads, bagels and donuts from kinnkinnick.
http://www.kinnikinnick.com/
I usually have toast w/peanut butter.
I hear the english muffins are good, too.
The only product I haven't liked was the cinnamon raisin bagels. Just not tasty.
If the price is scary, consider that one slice of toast with peanut butter is quite filling. I can't eat a whole donut, so I save half for the next morning. They're very dense. I usually make a whole bagel when one of my kids is willing to have half because they're too filling when you've got peanut butter on them. Also, with a bit of eggs it's filling. So the price isn't so bad when you consider that. Plus, if you order up to $200 worth of food from Kinnikinnick the shipping is a set $10. That's really good. I think the breads are great. They also have pizza crusts.

You can make a corn burrito with eggs/bacon/cheese. That will be filling.
I read here once that if you heat a corn tortilla with a little pat of butter on each side in a frying pan, that it will have a more four texture. It's true. That's the only way I eat them now.
I believe in God.

#4 leudy

leudy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 08:27 PM

* Smoothies (~10 minutes to make, then I stick it in a Nalgene bottle and drink it througout the morning)
* Rice cakes w/ peanut butter (~10 minutes to make and eat)
* Pancakes (make a big batch on a weekend, then put a bunch in the fridge.  on a busy morning, take one out, spread some jam on it, fold in half, eat while heading out the door)
* Hot cereal (make a big batch on a weekend and heat up from the fridge to take less time)
* Hard boiled eggs (ditto)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What do you put in your smoothies? and what kind of flour do you use for pancakes?
Thanks a million for you ideas

#5 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 09:13 PM

I like eating fruit for breakfast.

#6 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 09:58 PM

What do you put in your smoothies?  and what kind of flour do you use for pancakes?
Thanks a million for you ideas

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a couple of recipes in the recipes section under "As Promised, A Few Recipes" for smoothies, but I'll put some of the basics here:

Standard Strawberry (2 cups frozen strawberries, 1 orange (or 1 cup orange juice), 1 cup soy milk, 1 banana, 1 svng rice protein powder)

Tangy Tropical (2 bananas, 2 cups frozen pineapple, 3 oranges, 2 cups soy milk, 1/2 cup coconut milk 1-2 tbsp ginger juice)

Pumpkin Smoothie (1 cup soy milk, 1/2 cup Silk Nog, 1/2 cup canned pumpkin, 1 banana, 1/4 tsp each cinnamon, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, ice cubes)

Smooth Blueberry (2 cups soy milk, 3 bananas, 3 cups frozen blueberries)

As for pancakes, I use a couple different recipes - the amaranth pancake recipe from the Bob's Red Mill website, or the Arrowhead Mills mix. I don't have a standard set, but I generally use whole grains (not white rice flour or potato or tapioca, and incorporating flax meal or soy flour or nut flour because I have hypoglycemic tendencies).
Bellevue, WA

#7 nogluten!

nogluten!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 12:43 PM

Those smoothie recipes sound great. Thanks for posting them.
Every day is a blessing.

#8 bluefin

bluefin

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 08:41 AM

Most of us know that breakfast is an important meal. But how many times do you not have time to prepare a breakfast for your family in the rush of the morning? Mealtime offers these wake-up tips to get your day starting off right with the most important meal of the day!

* Prepare breakfast snacks ahead of time. For example, our Spiced Double Corn and Blueberry Muffins are quick and easy to prepare. Make these on Sunday afternoon and have them ready for breakfast during the work week.

* Serve breakfast with a smile. On a day when you have more time (such as the weekends), try this quick and easy recipe. Friendly Monster Portrait will be a favorite with the kids in your family.

* Power Packed Pineapple Parfaits is easy to make ahead of time and kids love it! Pack some power into your breakfast and serve this up!

* Muffins are the perfect solution for the morning breakfast rush. Try our fruity Muffins on the Go for a special treat in the morning.

* Breakfast Bean Burritos are a great way to spice up your breakfast.

* Top it off right! Open a can of fruit and mix it with your favorite yogurt flavor for some added vitamins. Our quick recipes and tips help you save time and be healthy!

#9 Matilda

Matilda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 08:47 AM

#10 Jnkmnky

Jnkmnky

Bloom where you are planted.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 08:53 AM

Put them on low with a lid on. The steam will cook the middles.
I believe in God.

#11 Eliza13

Eliza13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 12:38 PM

Put them on low with a lid on.  The steam will cook the middles.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I usually have the same breakfast.....gluten-free toast with organic PB, tea with honey, and a piece of fruit.

:)
Diagnosed by my doctor on the basis of symptoms only (May 2005). My symptoms include:

-amenorhea (all my life)
-high prolactin levels
-major bloating ("Are you pregnant?")
-swollen ankles
-possible DH: had the rash on my elbows and scalp (gone now)
-joint pain
-childhood arthritis
-all dairy allergy
-dry skin
-fat in stool sample (no connection was made at the time...I was being tested for something else...When the doctor told me of the fat I replied by saying: "I eat alot of olive oil". DUH!!!!)
-mother is allergic to wheat
-ravenous appetite: I eat for 5 people
-light coloured stool
-pass stool 7 times a day sometimes
-hemorrhoids
-get the hiccups alot (not sure if this is related)
-some reflux

I'm sure there are more that I don't recall at the moment. SIGH.

#12 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 12:54 PM

olive oil (1-2 tablespoons)
veggies:
1 red + green pepper, 2 green onions, 1/2 yellow onion, cut up small
5 mushrooms cut up small
eggs - as many as you want lighty beaton with a fork
spices to taste

I just throw the veggies and mushrooms into a wok (a large frying pan would do) for like 5 minutes and then throw in the eggs and cook until the eggs are done. Quick, easy, and yummy! I kind of made this one up myself. This can be quick if the veggies and mushrooms are cut up the night before.

Tiffany - Those recipes look great! I'll have to try some. what brand of rice protein powder do you use?
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#13 nogluten!

nogluten!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 12:54 PM

I make homemade bread a lot. The GlutenFreePantry has easy banana bread and lemon poppy seed mixes. I just use egg replacer in place of the eggs and rice milk with a bit of lemon juice for the buttermilk. It's really easy and turns out great.(My husband even eats it.) Kinnikinik English Muffins or Tapioca Bread toasted are good, and Amazon cereals are good (although very sweet.) I also like plain rice krispies from Gluten Free Pantry.

Something else that's easy if you eat meat (my husband eats it, not me)is microwave bacon by Hormel.
Every day is a blessing.

#14 luvs2eat

luvs2eat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 09:05 AM

I'm a frozen blueberries and yogurt kind of gal. I throw the blubes in a small container and take 'em to work. After a few hours, the blubes are defrosted just enough and have kept the tiny yogurt just cold enough.
luvs2eat
Living in the beautiful Ozark mountains in Arkansas
positive blood tests and later, positive biopsy
diagnosed 8/5/02, gluten-free (after lots of mistakes!) since that day
Dairy free since July 2010 and NOT happy about it!!

#15 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 09:24 AM

Tiffany, or anyone,
Do you have any tips on making pancakes? I made some yesterday but even after about 20 attempts couldn't get them cooked in the middle.
Thanks,
Matilda

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Huh... I generally don't have that problem. Most likely, your batter was too thick. Try thinning it a bit. (It's hard to describe how thin pancake batter should be, but it should pour - kinda like well mixed yogurt.)
Bellevue, WA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: