This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help With Breakfast Ideas

leudy

leudy Rookie

Help!!!!! I need ideas for quick gluten free breakfast foods. I have just found out I have Celiac and I am always on the go with work and kids and I need ideas of quick foods.

Any input is greatly appreciated!!!!

Lisa E

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

* Smoothies (~10 minutes to make, then I stick it in a Nalgene bottle and drink it througout the morning)

* Rice cakes w/ peanut butter (~10 minutes to make and eat)

* Pancakes (make a big batch on a weekend, then put a bunch in the fridge. on a busy morning, take one out, spread some jam on it, fold in half, eat while heading out the door)

* Hot cereal (make a big batch on a weekend and heat up from the fridge to take less time)

* Hard boiled eggs (ditto)

Jnkmnky Collaborator

We like the breads, bagels and donuts from kinnkinnick.

Open Original Shared Link

I usually have toast w/peanut butter.

I hear the english muffins are good, too.

The only product I haven't liked was the cinnamon raisin bagels. Just not tasty.

If the price is scary, consider that one slice of toast with peanut butter is quite filling. I can't eat a whole donut, so I save half for the next morning. They're very dense. I usually make a whole bagel when one of my kids is willing to have half because they're too filling when you've got peanut butter on them. Also, with a bit of eggs it's filling. So the price isn't so bad when you consider that. Plus, if you order up to $200 worth of food from Kinnikinnick the shipping is a set $10. That's really good. I think the breads are great. They also have pizza crusts.

You can make a corn burrito with eggs/bacon/cheese. That will be filling.

I read here once that if you heat a corn tortilla with a little pat of butter on each side in a frying pan, that it will have a more four texture. It's true. That's the only way I eat them now.

leudy Rookie
* Smoothies (~10 minutes to make, then I stick it in a Nalgene bottle and drink it througout the morning)

* Rice cakes w/ peanut butter (~10 minutes to make and eat)

* Pancakes (make a big batch on a weekend, then put a bunch in the fridge.  on a busy morning, take one out, spread some jam on it, fold in half, eat while heading out the door)

* Hot cereal (make a big batch on a weekend and heat up from the fridge to take less time)

* Hard boiled eggs (ditto)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What do you put in your smoothies? and what kind of flour do you use for pancakes?

Thanks a million for you ideas

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

I like eating fruit for breakfast.

What do you put in your smoothies?  and what kind of flour do you use for pancakes?

Thanks a million for you ideas

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a couple of recipes in the recipes section under "As Promised, A Few Recipes" for smoothies, but I'll put some of the basics here:

Standard Strawberry (2 cups frozen strawberries, 1 orange (or 1 cup orange juice), 1 cup soy milk, 1 banana, 1 svng rice protein powder)

Tangy Tropical (2 bananas, 2 cups frozen pineapple, 3 oranges, 2 cups soy milk, 1/2 cup coconut milk 1-2 tbsp ginger juice)

Pumpkin Smoothie (1 cup soy milk, 1/2 cup Silk Nog, 1/2 cup canned pumpkin, 1 banana, 1/4 tsp each cinnamon, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, ice cubes)

Smooth Blueberry (2 cups soy milk, 3 bananas, 3 cups frozen blueberries)

As for pancakes, I use a couple different recipes - the amaranth pancake recipe from the Bob's Red Mill website, or the Arrowhead Mills mix. I don't have a standard set, but I generally use whole grains (not white rice flour or potato or tapioca, and incorporating flax meal or soy flour or nut flour because I have hypoglycemic tendencies).

nogluten- Newbie

Those smoothie recipes sound great. Thanks for posting them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bluefin Newbie

Most of us know that breakfast is an important meal. But how many times do you not have time to prepare a breakfast for your family in the rush of the morning? Mealtime offers these wake-up tips to get your day starting off right with the most important meal of the day!

* Prepare breakfast snacks ahead of time. For example, our Spiced Double Corn and Blueberry Muffins are quick and easy to prepare. Make these on Sunday afternoon and have them ready for breakfast during the work week.

* Serve breakfast with a smile. On a day when you have more time (such as the weekends), try this quick and easy recipe. Friendly Monster Portrait will be a favorite with the kids in your family.

* Power Packed Pineapple Parfaits is easy to make ahead of time and kids love it! Pack some power into your breakfast and serve this up!

* Muffins are the perfect solution for the morning breakfast rush. Try our fruity Muffins on the Go for a special treat in the morning.

* Breakfast Bean Burritos are a great way to spice up your breakfast.

* Top it off right! Open a can of fruit and mix it with your favorite yogurt flavor for some added vitamins. Our quick recipes and tips help you save time and be healthy!

Matilda Enthusiast

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Put them on low with a lid on. The steam will cook the middles.

Eliza13 Contributor
Put them on low with a lid on.  The steam will cook the middles.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I usually have the same breakfast.....gluten-free toast with organic PB, tea with honey, and a piece of fruit.

:)

Carriefaith Enthusiast

olive oil (1-2 tablespoons)

veggies:

1 red + green pepper, 2 green onions, 1/2 yellow onion, cut up small

5 mushrooms cut up small

eggs - as many as you want lighty beaton with a fork

spices to taste

I just throw the veggies and mushrooms into a wok (a large frying pan would do) for like 5 minutes and then throw in the eggs and cook until the eggs are done. Quick, easy, and yummy! I kind of made this one up myself. This can be quick if the veggies and mushrooms are cut up the night before.

Tiffany - Those recipes look great! I'll have to try some. what brand of rice protein powder do you use?

nogluten- Newbie

I make homemade bread a lot. The GlutenFreePantry has easy banana bread and lemon poppy seed mixes. I just use egg replacer in place of the eggs and rice milk with a bit of lemon juice for the buttermilk. It's really easy and turns out great.(My husband even eats it.) Kinnikinik English Muffins or Tapioca Bread toasted are good, and Amazon cereals are good (although very sweet.) I also like plain rice krispies from Gluten Free Pantry.

Something else that's easy if you eat meat (my husband eats it, not me)is microwave bacon by Hormel.

luvs2eat Collaborator

I'm a frozen blueberries and yogurt kind of gal. I throw the blubes in a small container and take 'em to work. After a few hours, the blubes are defrosted just enough and have kept the tiny yogurt just cold enough.

Tiffany, or anyone,

Do you have any tips on making pancakes? I made some yesterday but even after about 20 attempts couldn't get them cooked in the middle.

Thanks,

Matilda

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Huh... I generally don't have that problem. Most likely, your batter was too thick. Try thinning it a bit. (It's hard to describe how thin pancake batter should be, but it should pour - kinda like well mixed yogurt.)

ILOVEOMC Enthusiast
:D Frozed blueberries are really good! Banana dipped in natural peanut butter is quick and easy for on the go. Also try a trail mix of peanuts and raisins and whatever finger food you want to add.
bluelotus Contributor

I, like a lot of celiacs, have a ravenous appetite. So, most of the time, I need something "thicker", so to speak, in the morning than fruit. I will make pancakes that aren't very sweet (like a flat bread) ahead of time to last for the week. I then will cook a Wellshire farm sausage (they also have chicken) morning breakfast patty in the microwave (about 1 min 30 seconds), tear a pancake in half and put the sausage in between. I usually add some of Annie's Natural ketchup. Mmmmm. Very satisfying and filling (though I am sure my cholesterol wouldn't do well with this meal every day).

Claire Collaborator
Help!!!!! I need ideas for quick gluten free breakfast  foods.  I have just found out I have Celiac and I am always on the go with work and kids and I need ideas of quick foods.

Any input  is greatly appreciated!!!!

Lisa E

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Buckwheat gluten free waffles with peanut butter, jam, jelly or both.

I kept a large jar of mixed nuts, seeds, dried fruits on the shelf. As you made this up for yourself you can exclude anything that bothers you. The possibilites are endless. It is always ready for a snack or to add to dry gluten free cereals to make a delicious crunchy breakfast treat. If dairy is not a problem, it is great with some yogurt mixed into the cereal mix.. This mix is so good that friends and family have asked about it so I give it in containers to them at Christmas. I adapt it for diabetics and for personal preferences. It isn't low calorie but that is good for wispy celiacs. Also it is very filling so you don't eat a whole lot at a time. Once you make up a batch all you have to do is spoon it up! :lol:

newo ikkin Rookie

fruit + yogurt.

i think gluten free pancakes are really gross.

hez Enthusiast

For those mornings when I really have to grab something and go I like the glutino (sp) bars (think nutragrain bars). They come in three flavors apple, blueberry and chocolate. I have never tried the chocolate, another post said it was gross. But I like the other flavors. Very quick.

Guest imsohungry

Hi there! Here are my tips for breakfast.

VERY FAST and Cheap:

Cereal: Fruity Pebbles or Cocoa Pebbles

Fruit w/OJ

Scrambled egg w/pre-cooked bacon

Very fast and not-so-cheap:

Kinnikinick bagels w/cream cheese or Peanut Butter

Kinnik toast/cinnimon toast

Ener-G granola cereal

Other ideas:

French toast (w/kinnik bread)

Of course, there are others, but this is what I eat on a regular basis.

Hope this helps! -Julie :)

Cory Newbie
Huh... I generally don't have that problem.  Most likely, your batter was too thick.  Try thinning it a bit.  (It's hard to describe how thin pancake batter should be, but it should pour - kinda like well mixed yogurt.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hey everybody, Wegmans has finally started labeling all of there products and it has decreased the time that it took me to shop for my girlfriend. It has been great the wegmans brand products have been labled with a "G" with an orange circle around it are gluten free. Even though they have a small area for special products there are more. Check out the breakfasts or go to www.wegmans.com and look at there gluten free listing. It has been a life saver.

Tiffany, or anyone,

Do you have any tips on making pancakes? I made some yesterday but even after about 20 attempts couldn't get them cooked in the middle.

Thanks,

Matilda

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was following up on this post, seeing what other suggestions I could grab from it :-), when I realized, matilda, that I forgot one other possibility - heat! Is your skillet the right temperature? It should be heated to the point that a drop of water on it will just barely jump and skitter around the pan - no cooler, no hotter (we use the water test regularly, just a drop or two, and wait for it to evaporate off). It should be *just* kept at that temperature, and not go over. And then waiting for the bottom of the pancakes to cook sufficiently is important too - the edges of the top side of the pancake should be setting enough to make flipping not messy at all.

Archived