14 replies to this topic

#1 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:01 AM

I have a freezer full of boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Other than grilling them, I have NO clue what to do with these? I don't tolerate any of the flours so breading is not an option. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:38 AM

Thankfully there are so many recipes that are naturally gluten free. As chicken breast dries so easily, make sure to pound so they are the same size so they cook evenly (unless you are cubing). Brining first, depending on recipe, can really make them more tender.

Thai Chicken Curry (cubed chicken)
Chicken Piccata - instead of using the flour, just thicken at the end with a touch of arrowroot or cornstarch
Chicken Parmigiana
Chicken Cacciatore
Stuffed with spinach and feta (or pesto or goat cheese or whatever you want)
Chicken Salad (for sandwiches, etc.)
Chicken Kung Pao
Roasted with tomatoes or grapes
Jambalaya
Chicken Marabella
Chicken fingers (using gluten-free crumbs and Parmesan)
Braised in vinegar
Many Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Korean dishes such as wraps (with rice paper, veg, sauce...)
Cashew Chicken
Chicken wrapped in bacon and roasted (with fresh herbs, etc.)
Chicken en papillote (in parchment with a touch of butter, white wine, herbs - pounded thinly to cook evenly)
Chicken Tikka Masala
Chicken Marsala
Chicken Quesidillas
Chicken Enchiladas
Greek Chicken (with oregano, lemon, feta, mint)
Glazed with infused honey (I like to infuse honey with chipotle, lavender, etc.)
Stuff peppers such as poblano with diced chicken, rice, tomato sauce, whatever you want and top with cheese and bake.

There are thousands of marinade recipes I have. Same with glazes, dry and wet rubs, etc.

You mentioned not grilling but perhaps you could make them into kebabs or Thai skewers or a satay...

I could easily list so many more but this could become a very long and boring post! :P Let me know if you need any recipes for the above. I teach cooking classes and am a recipe tester, not to mention absolutely smitten with cooking.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#3 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:43 AM

You missed one!

Honey mustard. :P

Just mix equal parts honey and mustard (it doesn't work if you just squirt them on the chicken, I've tried) and add garlic powder and pepper as you like. I like to cut the chicken breast lengthwise into thirds to make the pieces smaller, less time in the oven=juicier chicken.

Also, salsa chicken! Salsa+chicken. Bake. Done.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#4 bbuster

bbuster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:51 AM

You can make a skillet dinner with cubed chicken, red beans and rice, diced tomatoes, seasoning (chili seasoning or just seasoned salt, or salt & pepper). Add ins: onion, peppers, jalapenos, cheese. Serve with tortilla chips. I just cube and cook the chicken, then add everything else using Minute-rice and plenty of liquid from canned tomatoes, and let it simmer until the rice is done.
Bev

Mom of Garrett - Mizzou freshman; diagnosed Jan 2005

#5 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:52 AM

Thankfully there are so many recipes that are naturally gluten free. As chicken breast dries so easily, make sure to pound so they are the same size so they cook evenly (unless you are cubing). Brining first, depending on recipe, can really make them more tender.

Thai Chicken Curry (cubed chicken)
Chicken Piccata - instead of using the flour, just thicken at the end with a touch of arrowroot or cornstarch
Chicken Parmigiana
Chicken Cacciatore
Stuffed with spinach and feta (or pesto or goat cheese or whatever you want)
Chicken Salad (for sandwiches, etc.)
Chicken Kung Pao
Roasted with tomatoes or grapes
Jambalaya
Chicken Marabella
Chicken fingers (using gluten-free crumbs and Parmesan)
Braised in vinegar
Many Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Korean dishes such as wraps (with rice paper, veg, sauce...)
Cashew Chicken
Chicken wrapped in bacon and roasted (with fresh herbs, etc.)
Chicken en papillote (in parchment with a touch of butter, white wine, herbs - pounded thinly to cook evenly)
Chicken Tikka Masala
Chicken Marsala
Chicken Quesidillas
Chicken Enchiladas
Greek Chicken (with oregano, lemon, feta, mint)
Glazed with infused honey (I like to infuse honey with chipotle, lavender, etc.)
Stuff peppers such as poblano with diced chicken, rice, tomato sauce, whatever you want and top with cheese and bake.

There are thousands of marinade recipes I have. Same with glazes, dry and wet rubs, etc.

You mentioned not grilling but perhaps you could make them into kebabs or Thai skewers or a satay...

I could easily list so many more but this could become a very long and boring post! :P Let me know if you need any recipes for the above. I teach cooking classes and am a recipe tester, not to mention absolutely smitten with cooking.

Hi Love2Travel, could I have the recipes for the bacon wrapped one and the stuffed pepper one? They sound great. I appreciate it. Be well.

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

turkey-hiding.gif

#6 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:07 AM

Thanks for the ideas. I forgot to mention that I can't have anything processed like mustard or salsa or canned tomatoes. I'm allergic to corn and it all has corn. I am thinking of doing something with lemon and dill or parsley. I usually do that with skinned chicken. I am worried about it drying out.

#7 1974girl

1974girl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:57 PM

I love this crockpot one!
4 chicken breasts
20 oz can pineapple chunks
1/4 cup gluten free soy sauce
dash of red pepper flakes (optional)
put in crock pot for 3-4 hours on high or 4-6 on low. Serve over rice or spinach.

I have also dumped them in a crock pot with a can of Progresso Creamy Mushroom soup and served over rice when I was at a loss for dinner.

#8 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:51 PM

Thaw it, slice it thin and put into a ziploc bag. Douse with interesting ingredients, squoosh it around until all chicken is coated, and let marinate in fridge for an hour or more. I like olive oil, cider or wine vinegar, worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt, but all kinds of things work. You should have some kind of oil and some kind of acid - lemon juice or vinegar. Saute the slices until cooked through (you don't even need to add more oil to the pan), then cut up and add to green salads or just eat.
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#9 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:48 PM

Thanks for the ideas. I forgot to mention that I can't have anything processed like mustard or salsa or canned tomatoes. I'm allergic to corn and it all has corn. I am thinking of doing something with lemon and dill or parsley. I usually do that with skinned chicken. I am worried about it drying out.

To prevent them from drying out, pound them out until they are thin (and consistent thickness) and/or throw them into a brine. Brines make them very juicy and add flavour, too. So easy to do. Then cook until just done. Roasting in parchment with a little liquid (i.e. white wine, lemon juice, capers) keeps them moist as well.
How to brine:
http://www.ochef.com/152a.htm
A brine recipe:
http://www.foodnetwo...cipe/index.html

If you brine in the above (there are hundreds of good brine recipes out there), just leave chicken breasts in for about 2 hours, not much longer.

After you brine, you can throw on a rub or bake in oven and throw on some sauce or a glaze.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#10 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:53 PM

Hi Love2Travel, could I have the recipes for the bacon wrapped one and the stuffed pepper one? They sound great. I appreciate it. Be well.

This is an extra easy version of the pepper recipe. You can serve with rice as suggested or just throw some in with the rest of the filling.
http://www.food.com/...o-chiles-131427
This is a very simple recipe for bacon-wrapped chicken stuffed with cheese:
http://blogchef.net/...chicken-recipe/

#11 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:03 PM

This is an extra easy version of the pepper recipe. You can serve with rice as suggested or just throw some in with the rest of the filling.
http://www.food.com/...o-chiles-131427
This is a very simple recipe for bacon-wrapped chicken stuffed with cheese:
http://blogchef.net/...chicken-recipe/

Thank you so much. :D

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

turkey-hiding.gif

#12 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:08 PM

Thank you so much. :D

You are welcome. And don't let these recipes restrict you - use the same principles to create your own fillings. For example, I like to add chorizo to stuffed peppers.

#13 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:22 PM

You are welcome. And don't let these recipes restrict you - use the same principles to create your own fillings. For example, I like to add chorizo to stuffed peppers.

I will Google chorizo and attempt to be brave. Thanks for the encouragement. Be well

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

turkey-hiding.gif

#14 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:32 PM

I will Google chorizo and attempt to be brave. Thanks for the encouragement. Be well

It is a spicy dry cured sausage. Spanish far better than Mexican. I am making my own next week.

Have you used pancetta? It is basically Italian bacon you purchase in slabs that you can dice or whatever you want. Diced pancetta is awesome in stuffed baked potatoes or those peppers, not to mention tons of other delicious things.

You be well, too. :)

#15 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:36 AM

Do you have a Whole Foods near you? I like to get the 'fat free' organic jarred pasta sauce, Whole Foods brand, because it has tomatoes and spices. That's it. Should be corn free, has no oil, citric acid or vinegar. It is a 'shared facility' product, but not shared equipment.

Also, you can get dry mustard spice to flavor things with. Could try that with the honey, add fresh garlic?
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: