Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Unsafe List

22 posts in this topic

I think it's about time I get an updated list of unsafe ingredients and was wondering if anyone here might have one they would be willing to share?

I am trying to teach my roommates how to cook for me, so I thought I might hang up a list.

Thanks in advance!

Ads by Google:

http://www.celiac.com/articles/182/1/Unsafe-Gluten-Free-Food-List-Unsafe-Ingredients/Page1.html

Nick, at the top of every section, there is a FAQ section that you may find helpful! the safe foods list is there, too.

Also, check this out:

It's in this thread too and a bunch of other ideas that may help. That way, I do not have to bore everyone again with my lengthy post. :lol:

Cheers,

IH

It's pretty simple:

read ingredients. If it has any of these, you can't have it:

Wheat

Flour( unless it says rice, etc)

Rye

Barley

Malt

Barley malt

Versions of wheat like couscous, spelt, durum, einkorn http://www.celiac.com/articles/182/1/Unsafe-Gluten-Free-Food-List-Unsafe-Ingredients/Page1.html

The most important part is to read the ingredients. Wheat must be listed in the US and Canada.

Great, thanks Irishheart,kareng! I have it down pretty well but I wanted something I could hang up on the fridge for my less informed roommates(who are trying their darndest despite their ignorance).

It might be better to just label all the food in your place for them. Keep it simple like "Good" and "Bad." Then they just look at the label you put on the package and know. It means you have to intercept everything that comes in the kitchen, but it might be the best way in this case. If nothing else as a stop gap till they are better educated.

You could get colored duct tape. Stick in on everything that is safe. At my house, if it has a red tape on the butter tub, no one else used it without permission. Same with PB, etc.

You could get colored duct tape. Stick in on everything that is safe. At my house, if it has a red tape on the butter tub, no one else used it without permission. Same with PB, etc.

Yes! I used red and green sticky dots in my early days.

Nick wanted a safe list because he says his friends are trying to cook for him.

This is tricky business, Nick. Do you have your own cookware, utensils, colander, cutting board? They need to use THOSE if they prepare the ingredients.

We can tell you safe ingredients, but then, the prep part could "undo" all that with CC.

Karen turned me onto the flexible ones, like this:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=13615004

and you can have your own set aside for your food prep. I gave one to my friends to use when they have me over to their houses.

They come 4 to a pack--great for travel.

Check things like these below for WHEAT. As Karen said, they will be labeled.

Candies

French fries

Gravies

Imitation meat or seafood

processed luncheon meats

Salad dressings

Sauces, including soy sauce

Seasoned rice mixes

Seasoned snack foods, such as potato and tortilla chips

Self-basting poultry

Soups and soup bases

Vegetables in sauce

One more thought, Nick--the toaster?

Are you sharing one? You need your own or you can get toaster bags.

Karen turned me on to these too for use while traveling.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/toaster-bags-set-of-4

Wow great ideas all over the place...

I was aware of the need for gluten free kitchenware and for the most part I have those but I could definitely use more. I love the idea of those toaster bags.

You all rock, I ask for a hand and get the whole arm!

You all rock, I ask for a hand and get the whole arm!

:lol:

Well, some of us are a tad "mother-hennish" and tend to go overboard with the advice. (ok, that's usually me doing that. Guilty.)

So, did we forget anything? Just holler. (just use your inside voice, please.)

and I have to say, for a newbie, wow you are remarkably flexible and taking this all in stride with good humor (I've seen some of your posts.) So, good for you, kiddo.

While I would never advise people not to check ingredients in anything, IrishHeart, I would also argue that at least two items on your list -- luncheon meats and self-basting poultry -- don't really deserve a special warning. At least in my part of the U.S., I can't think of more than one or two sandwich meats that might still have gluten and they are ones that are rarely seen (I think one has beer in it and the other is some gross mixture of various body parts and what looks like fat chunks). And while my memory isn't as good as it used to be, I simply can't remember EVER finding a self-basting poultry (turkey) that has gluten.

richard

While I would never advise people not to check ingredients in anything, IrishHeart, I would also argue that at least two items on your list -- luncheon meats and self-basting poultry -- don't really deserve a special warning. At least in my part of the U.S., I can't think of more than one or two sandwich meats that might still have gluten and they are ones that are rarely seen (I think one has beer in it and the other is some gross mixture of various body parts and what looks like fat chunks). And while my memory isn't as good as it used to be, I simply can't remember EVER finding a self-basting poultry (turkey) that has gluten.

richard

Good points, Richard.

I have never seen a turkey with gluten in it myself. And if it had wheat it would be labeled.

I know that mortadella and some other deli meats may be a problem.

FWIW, I found that short list I posted right here:

Source: Thompson T. Celiac Disease Nutrition Guide, 2nd ed. Chicago: American Dietetic Association; 2006.

from National Digestive Diseases

Information Clearinghouse (NDDIC)

http://foodallergies.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=foodallergies&cdn=health&tm=23&f=20&tt=13&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/celiac/%23examples

Maybe they should update it??

I know that since 2006 a few deli meats that used to have gluten have been changed. I think deli meat is just one of those things, like hot dogs and sausages, that folks simply assume might have some sort of wheat filler even though that's rarely or never the case.

richard

I know that since 2006 a few deli meats that used to have gluten have been changed. I think deli meat is just one of those things, like hot dogs and sausages, that folks simply assume might have some sort of wheat filler even though that's rarely or never the case.

richard

I agree. I have never seen any meats with it up here in NY anyway.

BabsV, a member on here, is living in Poland right now and she says ALL those types of processed meats there have it.

I assumed they all did too. My sis in law is Celiac.and told.me they did, hot dogs did and.chickens/turkeys. She also told me a lot of cream does, which.I havent found.to be true, as.well as Blue Cheese.

She also told me modified food starch, whether it says.corn.or.not.

I actuly think she is just super sensitive, so far Im not.

I assumed they all did too. My sis in law is Celiac.and told.me they did, hot dogs did and.chickens/turkeys. She also told me a lot of cream does, which.I havent found.to be true, as.well as Blue Cheese.

She also told me modified food starch, whether it says.corn.or.not.

I actuly think she is just super sensitive, so far Im not.

No, cream does not have wheat in it.

All those products you listed do not have gluten in them, but if they did include wheat starch, they would have to be labeled.

By law in the US, if modified food starch is from wheat, it must state so on the label. It may be identified as modified wheat starch, modified starch (wheat) or it may

If blue cheese is on there, it should not be, at least in the US. From what people ave told me, in the UK most hot dog type things have gluten. Canada has some. The US doesnt seem to have any. I think it's a country or cultural preference. Always read the ingredient. You never know when some company will decide its a great idea to add wheat. :P

So in general, in the US at least..modified.food starch is ok...so long as it doesnt say wheat

So in general, in the US at least..modified.food starch is ok...so long as it doesnt say wheat

Yup :)

Yup :)

cool <_<

Since becoming gluten-free a few weeks ago, I have been getting used to reading labels..And I get so mad when I see so many added things, unpronouncable additives, and etc. I think to myself..NO WONDER people are more unhealthy than ever!!

When people say things to me like "Why is it all of a SUDDEN it seems everyone is allergic to Gluten, Gluten is just the new bad guy, the new "thing""

I say to them..have you SEEN what is in our food these days?? things that were not around 20-50 years ago. What do you think will happen to people when they constantly eat synthetic, mass prodouced food? it seems like common sense..we are not MEANT TO EAT LIKE THIS!!

I want to scream. The more I learn, the more fearful I get for my children's health.

So sad.