8 replies to this topic

#1 LenaS

LenaS

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:42 AM

I contacted Unilever because I had found some ingredients that may contain hidden sources of Gluten on their product labels, I asked them to clarify two products specifically for me, green tea facial scrub and the citrus body wash, here is the response I was sent:

Thank you for contacting us regarding St. Ives Product.
As you may know, gluten is found in wheat, rye, and (to lesser degree) in barley and oats. Unfortunately we do not have a Gluten Free list for our products. Ingredients containing gluten would always be listed separately on all ingredient labels.

Unilever Canada considers gluten to be a “common allergen”. Because our products are formulated for use by the majority of consumers (and not specifically for those on restricted diets) it is possible for our product formulations to change at any time. Therefore, we suggest reading all ingredient labels carefully.

Sincerely,

Your friends at St. Ives

I replied to this clarifying that I had in fact read the ingredients very carefully, which was the reason for my inquiry in the first place, and asked about the hidden sources. I did not receive a response. I thought I would share this information in case anyone else had the same concerns.

Cheers

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sa1937

sa1937

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:34 AM

Welcome, Lena! Unilever will not hide ingredients in products so they are definitely one of the "good guys".

Specifically what ingredients are you suspicious about?
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#3 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,994 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:13 AM

I replied to this clarifying that I had in fact read the ingredients very carefully, which was the reason for my inquiry in the first place, and asked about the hidden sources.

They already answered, saying that there are NO hidden sources:

"Ingredients containing gluten would always be listed separately on all ingredient labels."

If gluten is present, the name of the grain will appear. Look for the words wheat, rye, barley or oats.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 LenaS

LenaS

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:30 AM

Thank you Sylvia

I am a newly diagnosed ciliac and am finding it very difficult, people haven't been very friendly or supportive so I thank you for being so helpful. The item I inquired about contains hydroxypropyltrimonium I have two sources that list this as a common hidden source of gluten found in beauty products.

#5 sa1937

sa1937

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:01 AM

You're welcome, Lena. I don't know where you heard this is not safe. I googled hydroxypropyltrimonium and came up with the following.

Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride is a water-soluble derivative of natural guar gum, and delivers conditioning properties to shampoos and after-shampoo hair care products.

Guar gum doesn't contain gluten. You can trust Unilever on their labeling.

Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#6 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,994 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:02 AM

Try these links for useful information:

Unsafe ingredients.

Safe ingredients.

Here's a list of companies that have a clear gluten policy. If you don't see "wheat, rye, barley, barley malt, oats" on the labels, its not there, or hidden in "flavors, starches, etc."

I am not a supporter of product lists--they are out of date the minute that you print them. Formulas are constantly changing. That is why I like to buy from companies who will label clearly (see the third link above). Always read the label.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.

#7 LenaS

LenaS

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:12 AM

You're welcome, Lena. I don't know where you heard this is not safe. I googled hydroxypropyltrimonium and came up with the following.

Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride is a water-soluble derivative of natural guar gum, and delivers conditioning properties to shampoos and after-shampoo hair care products.

Guar gum doesn't contain gluten. You can trust Unilever on their labeling.

It was listed in the Gluten-Free diet: a gluten free-survival guide by Elisabeth Hasselbeck and in Delight gluten free magazine. Thank you for clarifying this for me, I really appreciate it.

#8 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,994 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:29 AM

Elisabeth Hasselbeck is not a reliable source. I have not read her book, but many people have posted about erroneous information in it.
Peter

#9 LenaS

LenaS

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:02 PM

Elisabeth Hasselbeck is not a reliable source. I have not read her book, but many people have posted about erroneous information in it.

Thank you for all of your help :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: