4 replies to this topic

#1 leudy

leudy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 06:45 AM

I am curious if anyone has had their doctor recognize Celiac with their naked eye from an endoscopy. My doctor does not have much experience with Celiac so he did not, however I have the pictures and comparing them to the pictures online it is very very evident. Mosiac pattern, dry-cracked apperance, no sign of villi. I must have been dealing with this a long time because of the amount of damage. Thanks for feedback!
Lisa E

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 skoki_mom

skoki_mom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 07:09 AM

Hi Lisa,
My doctor told me the minute I was conscious that my bowel looked like classic Celiac Disease. In fact, he said the pictures were so good he was going to use them for teaching! And he gave me a copy of my pics, hmmm, not sure I needed that, lol!! Anyhow, when he called me with the pathology, I had complete villous atrophy, so I was very severe obviously! He described what he saw as scalloping of the duodenum. Anyhow, apparently he is one of the best GIs in the city, so yes, it is possible to see the changes with the naked eye!
LORI

Dx celiac disease Aug 25/05, ate KFC that night and gluten-free ever since

#3 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 07:54 AM

I am curious if anyone has had their doctor recognize Celiac with their naked eye from an endoscopy.  My doctor does not have much experience with Celiac so he did not, however I have the pictures and comparing them to the pictures online it is very very evident.  Mosiac pattern,  dry-cracked apperance, no sign of villi.  I must have been dealing with this a long time because of the amount of damage.  Thanks for feedback!
Lisa E

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In many areas, regardless of what is found at the time of the test, it is standard practice to wait for the official results (from the biopsy itself, in this case), so many doctors may recognize it and not say anything. (And, I'm sure, MANY don't recognize it.)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#4 nikki-uk

nikki-uk

Out running.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 09:27 AM

When my hubbie had his first scope he was told all 'looked' normal,but biopsies showed villous atrophy.
However when hubbie had second scope the gastro consultant insisted on doing it himself,and said he could tell immediately his bowel looked like untreated celiac disease.
So,-I think it depends if the person doing the scope knows what to look for :)
It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

Posted Image

#5 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 11:55 AM

....and prbly how much damage

- Vincent -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users