6 replies to this topic

#1 DJ88

DJ88

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:31 AM

Diagnosed by positive biopsy for intestinal damage, blood tests (taken after) were negative, been on a gluten-free diet for about 8 weeks - not even eating out at all - now I have major pain in upper stomach area and constant nausea, vary with intensity (still no vomiting). I had no celiac symptoms before except for major anemia (3), but after doing 4 iron infusions (iron up to 114), I have the constant pain and nausea. Doctor (who's on vacation for 2 weeks) sent word through the nurse to take Miralax and Pepcid. I'm having a very hard time eating. I know eating is kind of important - should I take pepto or something to coat so I can eat? Any ideas?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:10 PM

Could you please describe the diet you've been following? What exactly do you eat during the day? Perhaps that would shed some light on this mystery, and I know that many of us here would like to help you. Also, what supplements are you taking?

#3 DJ88

DJ88

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:30 PM

Could you please describe the diet you've been following? What exactly do you eat during the day? Perhaps that would shed some light on this mystery, and I know that many of us here would like to help you. Also, what supplements are you taking?

Before the pain...
breakfast: typically (1) grits with fruit, (2) gluten free waffles, cottage cheese, fruit, or (3) rice chex with almond milk
lunch: (1) salad - spinach/greens, (2) Amy's gluten free frozen vegetarian meal, or (3) gluten free rice wrap, mushroom/rice patty, spinach & veggies
dinner: (1) salad - spinach/green, (2) Amy's gluten free frozen vegetarian meal, or (3) rice/vege pasta salad
snacks: Greek yogurt, home-made gluten free ice cream, Larabar bars, fruit
drinks: water, almond milk, chai tea w/ almond milk, iced tea
Supplements: vitamin D, multi-vitamin

Doctor didn't even give me a plan to follow. Most of the info I have is from celiac.com, books or other website information. I saw a nutritionist who knew much less than me.

#4 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:32 PM

Okay, my personal suspicion is that you might be sensitive to soy. For me, that means lots of digestive pain...to the point that I always think I have appendicitis and need to be driven to the hospital emergency room (first time that I ate it, that's exactly what I did, too).

Were the gluten-free waffles Van brand? If so, they use soy flour (which is crazy if they're trying to target the celiac population). Amy's tends to use a lot of soy in their products. too.

I noticed that you are depending rather strongly on gluten-free processed foods. This is very common for newly diagnosed celiacs; however, it's not the best approach for healing. Processed foods contain a lot of stuff that can make you feel ill (such as xanthan gum, guar gum, soy, etc.). Therefore, we generally advise newly diagnosed folks to eat only natural foods; e.g., fruits, vegetables, rice, potatoes, nuts and nut butters, meat, and dairy (if tolerated). There are easy casseroles that can be prepared in a slow cooker that can feed you for several days. Simply augment with a salad with oil and vinegar, a potato, or gluten-free pasta. It's very important to consume healthy fats, too, because they'll help you digest fat-soluble vitamins. Nuts, nut butters, and avocados will help you in that regard.

Hope you start feeling better soon!

#5 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:40 PM

I agree. Too much processed food & soy. Soy kills me. Take it all the way down to very simple stuff & those salads --- use your own oil & vinegar. Salad dressings, even gluten-free ones are generally heavily dependent on soy. Better to simply use wine vinegar & olive oil. Check the ingredients on the almond milk too. It might have soy in there &/or carageenan which is a kelp product & could possibly be causing some distress at this point.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#6 Mom-of-Two

Mom-of-Two

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:58 AM

There are several possibilities which are common, such as issues with dairy or soy. I would also wonder if your gallbladder is giving you trouble, since upper pain and nausea are very common, indigestion and gas as well. It is not always severe attacks from a stone, you may have general inflammation of the gallbladder which can leave you feeling that way a long time.

Or, you simply have not healed enough.

Keep a food diary and see when the symptoms are the worst.

Also, I can't do gluten free grains, processed gluten free foods. I stick to whole foods, it helps many people.

#7 DJ88

DJ88

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:10 AM

Thank you so much for all your suggestions. I will try whole foods - I'm ready to start with one item at a time, will get back to the journal and monitor reactions. All suggestions are much appreciated!
DJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: