126 replies to this topic

#76 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

Oh my goodness! I had the 'flesh eating' lesions on my lower belly. I really think it was several lesions side by side that just grew into each other. They have healed and now are the dark purple color.

I know you have been so strict on being gluten-free, I want to cry for you! Do you think your doctor will order light therapy for you?

Wish you could take Dapsone or maybe the topical? I think I'll have my niece take photos of my healed skin after being on Dapsone since 10/20/12. So sorry for you. . . . :(

Thanks dear. I doubt a GI has any clue about light therapy. And yes, sometimes you get the flesh eaters where you get 2 or 3 next to each other & then they all grow together to make one huge lesion.
Maybe the topical Dapsone..... I don't know. Just have to talk to him & see.
My other worry is that if I go the Tetracycline route that I am deathly allergic to Penicillin & what if I develop an intolerance to tetracycline? If I get really sick & need it then I won't have any options left to me.
There are time that .38 is looking better & better.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#77 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

Hope we're talking about a bigger bra here :D
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#78 sisterlynr

sisterlynr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

Oh Squirmingitch ... put those thoughts way out of your mind! The topical Dapsone is ACZONE® and you may want to research to see if your doctor will prescribe it for you.

When I asked for Dapsone, I mentioned the topical to my PCP and she didn't seem to recognize the name. Since she agreed to order Dapsone, I didn't press her further about the topical med.

Your GI may not be familiar with light therapy but I know the Derms do. Hang in there! Prayers and ((hugs)) to you.

Misdiagnosed DH symptoms for 30 years in the form of blisters on shoulders, scalp, sole of foot and lower back.
Type II Diabetes 1995  /   Fatty liver biopsy 2001  ~ Diagnosed with NH Lymphoma in 2007 metastasized to bones & Stage IV by 2008 Chemotherapy in 2008 ~ Breakout of rash from scalp to sole of feet. February 28, 2012 until present
Iron deficiency anemia - July of 2012  /  
Osteoarthritis. September 2012  2012 Rash was diagnosed as Eczema, Grover's Disease, Folliculitis per biopsies of the lesions. September 2012   Started Dapsone and Gluten-Free diet on October 20, 2012 ~ Diag DH 2012.  Not taking Dapsone due to sulfa reaction.  Biopsy in July 2013 indicates Lupus but my doctors do not agree on cause of rash for various reasons.  

~Lyn~

#79 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

Continuing the progression of the lesions. These photos were taken today. They were much angrier looking a few days ago --- lobster red, but I could not bear to take photos of them at that point. They have been terribly painful & remain so. I have found the best thing at this point is Vaseline. And ice packs. But one can not spend all day laying on ones back with ice packs on. Life goes on & food needs to be prepared, groceries need to be gotten etc.....

I would add that these photos disprove those texts which say the lesions last a couple/few days. WRONG. Sometimes they do --- maybe in the beginning or very mild flares but an individual lesion can last for a full month or more. Also those texts that state that dh has to be blisters. WRONG. Some of what you see began as blisters, some did not --- those were the "bite" kind --- but undoubtedly ALL dh.

This first one is what the flesh eater has turned into.
Posted Image

This is what my front looks like now.
Posted Image

This is the underside of my breast.
Posted Image

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#80 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

Oh man!! I look at these pictures and can't begin to imagine what that feels like :unsure: I will never complain about my psoriasis again, I promise.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#81 sisterlynr

sisterlynr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:12 PM

Squirmy . . . I can tell they are healing. Pray it continues to heal and quickly! I understand about the allergy to penicillin and needing a fall back drug, for an emergency. My Gpa, Dad, siblings and now my nephew is allergic to penicillin. My Gpa was given it, in error while admitted to hospital for pneumonia and died in 1963. :(

Hang in there!

Misdiagnosed DH symptoms for 30 years in the form of blisters on shoulders, scalp, sole of foot and lower back.
Type II Diabetes 1995  /   Fatty liver biopsy 2001  ~ Diagnosed with NH Lymphoma in 2007 metastasized to bones & Stage IV by 2008 Chemotherapy in 2008 ~ Breakout of rash from scalp to sole of feet. February 28, 2012 until present
Osteoarthritis. September 2012  2012 Rash was diagnosed as Eczema, Grover's Disease, Folliculitis per biopsies of the lesions. September 2012   Started Dapsone and Gluten-Free diet on October 20, 2012 ~ Diag DH 2012.  Not taking Dapsone due to sulfa reaction.  Biopsy in July 2013 indicates Lupus but my doctors do not agree on cause of rash for various reasons.  

~Lyn~

#82 kimpe

kimpe

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

Wow, finally I find someone who has it as bad as I do/did. I am/was covered from head to toe. So bad I kept myself covered unless I was at home and even then my daughter couldn't stand to see it and avoided me a lot of the time. It is now going away. I had a dermatologist who was very helpful with the itching part by putting me on Gabbapentin which lowered the nerves reaction to wanting to itch. It worked for me at least.

#83 cavernio

cavernio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

I have a patch of my finger that looks pretty much exactly like yours dani, except even smaller. It came acouple weeks ago, got super itchy, then went away and is coming back again. I am not diagnosed with dh, but I haven't had it checked out either. It's not bothering me much.
My sister, whose bloodwork is negative for celiac disease, has had eczema as long as I can remember, and I think my finger looks very much like her rashes. Of course this isn't definitive, I still think my sister's a celiac.
I also get noticeable blisters (hardly noticeable on my fingers but they're definitely there) on my forearms. That's been around for a couple of years, and they itch pretty bad, but I've never had them clump.

Now I do have dandruff that itches pretty badly and it has gotten worse after getting a bit better. I've had that for decades though, never really went to someone to talk about it or look into it. And I did get a rash on the back of my neck after eating nuts that I'm guessing had cc. (I also had an immediate burning reaction in my mouth and then nerve pain in my teeth/gums for prolly a week after.) But the rash on my neck honestly wasn't that itchy even though it was by far the largest patch of affected skin I've had. It did make its way to the back of my ears and they itched, and moved up a bit into my scalp which also itched for a couple weeks, but when that happened the skin just looked dry, no blisters anymore.

"Skin was very prickly and burned, did not like having anything touch it"
This is familiar to me. I randomly get patches of skin that will get very sensitive when anything touches it, and the skin's response to being touched just didn't feel normal aside from the burny, uncomfortableness. Of course I've never had my entire body feel like that, and no rash has ever happened afterwards. But since my finger has decided to break out again, when I touch the skin it feels like there's a coating on it, something that makes the sensation of touch on it muffled. But I never had the sensitivity that I've gotten before. I figured since I have peripheral neuropathy that my patches of skin were a nerve issue of celiac disease or just something else entirely, not a skin issue. Perhaps there is some overlap here that doctors are missing, skin has neuronal receptors.

I would not be very happy with a diagnosis of the eczema of unknown cause. Like getting diagnosed with IBS. It's only useful if they figure out what causes it or gets rid of it.

I feel so bad for all of you who have such bad rashes!
diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

#84 Carybear

Carybear

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:37 AM

I thought that a thread containing a collection of the different shapes and forms of DH could be helpful to people looking for something to compare their own rashes with. So go ahead and post your rashes here to help others find a point of reference. Please add associated symptoms and a short history.

I am however doubtful of this idea being a good one because some people might add photos that are not related and confuse people who are new to all this. I hope it will be ok and if it's not then it's ok to delete this thread and I apologize in advance ;-)

Since I haven't seen a rash that is milder than mine I think that it's actually a proper coincidence that mine is the first one :-)

These images were taken when the rash was in it's mildest form. It has sadly developed since these photos were taking, and gets pink swollen bumpy areas under the blisters. It is also starting to spread to the next finger and on the webbing between my fingers.
The rash used wake me up at night with a blistery, throbbing, itching, and burning finger when I used to consume gluten. Now it mostly burns whenever it shows up with very mild itching. The water in the blisters is clear.

http://rainytown.se/...0524_065253.jpg
http://rainytown.se/...0524_065311.jpg
http://rainytown.se/...0524_065505.jpg

Important: Please note that I'm self-diagnosed, meaning this rash is based on my own speculations based on my symptoms all put together.

That is NOT DH.

#85 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,996 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:55 AM

That is NOT DH.

And that is NOT HELPFUL. Would you be so kind as to explain your reasoning.

Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

#86 kmag

kmag

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:47 AM

That is NOT DH.

It looks quite mild, but it certainly could be DH.  I get blisters and red spots on my fingers all the time.  The blisters are sometimes very small, just pore sized.  Stingy, burny, itchy and blisters sounds a whole lot like DH to me.

#87 cavernio

cavernio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

My finger looks almost identical to the OP Carybear. The rash on my finger has since improved and gotten worse a few times, and the blisters have gotten bigger, and the blisters look like this when a tad larger.

http://dermatlas.med...formis_4_030330

The dry, peeling skin is what comes afterwards, and yes, that's what's most prominent in the photos daninero posted, and I agree, that doesn't look like DH to me either.

diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

#88 Lady Eowyn

Lady Eowyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

Hi

I have what I call 'classic DH' with lesions like Sqitch (sorry about that abbreviation :D) on scalp and just occasional on shoulder blades and buttocks. (Used to have it very badly on all three of those places) and have scarring to this day on back and buttocks. Astonishingly symmetrical! Lesions on scalp vary in severity but never gone and worse for iodine and thyroid meds. 

Anyway - dani nero's finger pics got me wondering because I get that and have had it on underside of forearms. Extremely itchy and I have always assumed it was Contact Eczema that arrived out of the blue at intervals. Now I'm wondering if it's a variation of DH!!

#89 aircare

aircare

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

I'm a newbie, I love this site! I can relate to everyone, most post are from last year. Are y'all still post here?
I use Clobetasol Propionate cream it really helps.

#90 sisterlynr

sisterlynr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:37 AM

That is NOT DH.

Oh my . . . Carybear, you do not have DH?  I would like to know how you diagnosed by the picture too.  Just curious.   :rolleyes:

I have been diagnosed with DH with 2 doctors in agreement and the rash on my hands looked exactly like 'Dani' presentation.  The blisters on my hands were extremely small, fluid came out after scratching and they eventually had the peeling dry skin.  The sting, itch and burning was intense!  I don't have a photo of my hands but wish I did so I could post.  BTW, I don't think any of us can diagnose anyone. . . just able to offer ideas and such.

To anyone interested. . . my skin was almost healed after being on Dapsone and I was so happy.  I decided to try to stop the Dapsone to see if I could just depend on the gluten-free diet.  After 2 weeks . . . I found out just how much the medication helps.  I am now  back on it but suffering with a renewed breakout on my stomach, lower back and buttocks.  Actually the breakout is in the same places that had been healing.   :(

~Lyn~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: