#91 Lady Eowyn

Lady Eowyn

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:32 AM

Hi

The only time mine vanished (to my surprise) was when I had a course of strong antibiotics and steroids to treat a bad chest infection. It came straight back afterwards (this was over 20 years ago). 

It was somewhat helped by a long course of oxytetracycline antibiotics (sp?) prescribed for it by doc who said it was infected skin (?????????). Came straight back after and a second course had negligible effect. (Again, this is years ago)!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#92 jiggles

jiggles

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:31 AM

Hi here is a picture of my rash too, it's insanely itchy and gets very sore after scratching , it takes months for it to go away but it leaves purplish marks which turn light brown

http://s832.photobuc...html?sort=3&o=1

#93 answerseeker

answerseeker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:59 AM

that's what mine looks like. I had one on my bottom and that's what was biopsied last week. results aren't back yet but I've been gluten free since July so it could be negative. My derm said visually it does look like DH. I also had a cluster on my thigh and now I'm left with the marks, taking forever to heal.

Lori age 40

GERD diagnosed Feb 2012

acute adult onset asthma diagnosed April 2012

celiac diagnosis July 2013

osteopenia Sept 2013

Dysautonomia: POTS (autonomic nervous system dysfunction)

DQ2 Gene

#94 ItchyAbby

ItchyAbby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:48 PM

Ok, I'll add mine:

This first one is February 2013, right after my first biopsy:

P1130004_zpsc2d1f767.jpg

This is late March 2013:

Photoon3-28-13at1102AM_zpsa1ba4d32.jpg

And this is what it turned into by Summer 2013:

Photoon8-20-13at122PM_zps88304470.jpg

It's alarmingly symmetrical, with the right side being somewhat more impacted:

Photoon8-20-13at121PM_zps7511c9f2.jpg

Self Diagnosed with DH in June 2013

MD and ND confirmed shortly thereafter

Gluten free June 1, 2013

Low Iodine July 15, 2013 - (waiting for the rash to clear...)

Other symptoms: IBS-D gone, skin on face much clearer, anxiety gone, periods regulating and less painful, and oh! this one is new: I have not had a UTI since going gluten-free (used to get them several times a year)

Currently training to become a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner. I want to heal as many guts as I can!

Love Heals.

#95 answerseeker

answerseeker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:32 PM

oh gosh abby that looks painful. mine is only a few spots here and there.

Lori age 40

GERD diagnosed Feb 2012

osteopenia Sept 2013

DQ2 Gene

#96 ItchyAbby

ItchyAbby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:14 PM

oh gosh abby that looks painful. mine is only a few spots here and there.

It's pure misery. :(

For three years, my rash was just a few spots (like in the first picture). Then it just exploded this year and is taking it's sweet time calming down.

Gluten free June 1, 2013

Other symptoms: IBS-D gone, skin on face much clearer, anxiety gone, periods regulating and less painful, and oh! this one is new: I have not had a UTI since going gluten-free (used to get them several times a year)

Currently training to become a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner. I want to heal as many guts as I can!

Love Heals.

#97 jiggles

jiggles

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:54 PM

It's pure misery. :(
For three years, my rash was just a few spots (like in the first picture). Then it just exploded this year and is taking it's sweet time calming down.

Oooo ItchyAbby it really does look very red and angry, no wonder you say its pure misery it must drive you absolutely nuts,
at the moment mine are on the back of my legs and over my derrière too so I can't really photo those, but they are at that sore stage now,

The Gastro Doctor wanted to have a look at my rash,
but when I told him It was covering the back of my legs by my buttocks he chuckled and swiftly changed his mind

I guess some Doctors are still embarrassed about stuff like that , I would have shown it to a medical audience if they would have done the biopsy for me :P
but It just seems so difficult to get biopsied in the UK

#98 jiggles

jiggles

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:11 PM

that's what mine looks like. I had one on my bottom and that's what was biopsied last week. results aren't back yet but I've been gluten free since July so it could be negative. My derm said visually it does look like DH. I also had a cluster on my thigh and now I'm left with the marks, taking forever to heal.

What a great dermatologist you have, no one has even suggested a biopsy for me at all ,

I think I may have to pay a private dermatologist to get a biopsy, but I wouldn't know where to start ,
Good luck with your biopsy, hope you get some answers,
Please let us know how you get on

#99 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:09 AM

Abbster,

Just know that we are all here to help you get thru this !!!  I hope you are able to see some improvement as quickly as possible.  I see more baths and foot rubs in your future :D

All my best,

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

gingerbread-man-smiley-emoticon.gif

#100 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:57 AM

Hey Abbs,

I was researching DH this morning and I came across a guy named Jean-Paul Marat.  He lived in the late 1790's.  Anyway, It was the opinion, after his death, that he was suffering with a horrid case of DH.  He was a Doctor himself. Of course little was known about Celiac/DH so diet change was never a concern.  I was reading that he spent most of his life in bathtub with soothing herbs and a wrap around his head.  I tried for the life of me to find the herb mixture he used but no luck there but he used a cloth soaked in vinegar around his head to control itching there.  So I was thinking that maybe you might want to trial using a cloth and laying it on one of your areas of DH for itch control.  I don't know how practical that would be for you but I wanted to mention it anyway.

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

#101 ItchyAbby

ItchyAbby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:16 AM

Hey Abbs,

I was researching DH this morning and I came across a guy named Jean-Paul Marat.  He lived in the late 1790's.  Anyway, It was the opinion, after his death, that he was suffering with a horrid case of DH.  He was a Doctor himself. Of course little was known about Celiac/DH so diet change was never a concern.  I was reading that he spent most of his life in bathtub with soothing herbs and a wrap around his head.  I tried for the life of me to find the herb mixture he used but no luck there but he used a cloth soaked in vinegar around his head to control itching there.  So I was thinking that maybe you might want to trial using a cloth and laying it on one of your areas of DH for itch control.  I don't know how practical that would be for you but I wanted to mention it anyway.

Colleen

Yes! This is a well know painting titled "Death of Marat"

300px-Death_of_Marat_by_David.jpg

I was an art major in college and when I came across this reference in my research I might have squealed a little. Very cool.

I do take lots of baths when the rash is flared up. A screaming hot bath with Epsom salts followed by ice packs is my go-to bedtime ritual. When I have to be moving about, I have a stretchy strap to hold the ice packs in place. A little ACV dabbed on the rash is nice and cooling too.

I should mention that that last photo is the absolute worst of it. It is better than that now, but still worse than the March picture. I feel like I am kind of working my way  out of it backwards - like, it's going out the way it came in. Ha! It just keeps flaring then receding over and over, never completely going away before it starts up again. It's a crazy thing this rash.

Thank you for your kind and supportive words Colleen. It means a lot to me.

Gluten free June 1, 2013

Love Heals.

#102 ItchyAbby

ItchyAbby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:19 AM

Oooo ItchyAbby it really does look very red and angry, no wonder you say its pure misery it must drive you absolutely nuts,
at the moment mine are on the back of my legs and over my derrière too so I can't really photo those, but they are at that sore stage now,

The Gastro Doctor wanted to have a look at my rash,
but when I told him It was covering the back of my legs by my buttocks he chuckled and swiftly changed his mind

I guess some Doctors are still embarrassed about stuff like that , I would have shown it to a medical audience if they would have done the biopsy for me :P
but It just seems so difficult to get biopsied in the UK

I have a patch right on my sacrum and I bargain with it often: "Please, please don't creep down my butt crack, ok?"

It's crazy that your doc is uncomfortable with seeing the human body! Isn't that like, his job? I completely lost all modesty this year - i show the rash to everyone! (Ok maybe not the almost-buttcrack area...)

Gluten free June 1, 2013

Love Heals.

#103 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:22 AM

Abbs...I took a lot of Art History myself.  I saw the painting pic this morning.  I rather like it.  I learn something new everyday !!!  I'm glad it's getting better :D

Take Care,

Colleen

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

#104 answerseeker

answerseeker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:28 AM

What a great dermatologist you have, no one has even suggested a biopsy for me at all ,

I think I may have to pay a private dermatologist to get a biopsy, but I wouldn't know where to start ,
Good luck with your biopsy, hope you get some answers,
Please let us know how you get on

Well as expected biopsy was negative. I've been gluten free since July. But seeing that I already have celiac and the derm and my GI both said it is DH I'm going with that. They both said visually it is DH just can't officially diagnose it as that because of the biopsy. I asked what else it could be and he just said it appears to be the celiac rash

Lori age 40

GERD diagnosed Feb 2012

osteopenia Sept 2013

DQ2 Gene

#105 answerseeker

answerseeker

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:34 AM

I have a patch right on my sacrum and I bargain with it often: "Please, please don't creep down my butt crack, ok?"

It's crazy that your doc is uncomfortable with seeing the human body! Isn't that like, his job? I completely lost all modesty this year - i show the rash to everyone! (Ok maybe not the almost-buttcrack area...)

Mine is on the crack. Aaaaannnnndddd that's what got biopsied. Yes I was a bit embarrassed. And not the most comfortable place for a biopsy I might add.

Lori age 40

GERD diagnosed Feb 2012

osteopenia Sept 2013

DQ2 Gene

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: