2 replies to this topic

#1 Mateto

Mateto

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:25 PM

So I'm going to be staying with my GREAT grandmother soon for a weekend, to keep her company. As you might imagine, she's up in the numbers but she's not "old". However, I don't really know how I will explain this coeliacs to her! I don't think "I can't eat barley, wheat, rye or triticale" will work. My family grew up believing that wheat and barley are the best things you could ever put into your mouth, next to a strong cuppa tea and an apple.
Gluten-free since St George's Day this year :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:13 PM

So I'm going to be staying with my GREAT grandmother soon for a weekend, to keep her company. As you might imagine, she's up in the numbers but she's not "old". However, I don't really know how I will explain this coeliacs to her! I don't think "I can't eat barley, wheat, rye or triticale" will work. My family grew up believing that wheat and barley are the best things you could ever put into your mouth, next to a strong cuppa tea and an apple.

I don't know your GREAT grand mother, but my Grand Mother (in the short time I knew her) was open and inquisitive. She used to make me orange juice with a raw egg in the blender, every night I stayed with her. It wasn't bad, but the raw egg????? But, she knew best. :huh:

Just be open and honest with her. I bet she's still up to a challenge. And offer to cook a few sides or a meal, depending on your stay. :)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:48 PM

I bet she'll understand better than you expect. Just break it down the best you can and maybe even point out the ingredient in food you can't it and give a replacement you would eat instead. Cook with her if she's doing the cooking do she sees what you're avoiding! I've been gluten-free a year and have been in your shoes more often than not and I find that being honest and open about it works best. Def take part in the cookIng, that makes it fun for both of you!
~**caselynn**~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: