Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Is Anyone Taking Juice Plus ?

9 posts in this topic

A friend of mine is a seller of this product which she started taking a year ago . She has severe digestive and colon problems and 1 of her kids is asthmatic. She feels great and her son is not using his inhaler regularly and she believes it's due to this product. Its dehydrated fruits and veggies in capsule and/or gummy form and claims to be gluten free.

I was wondering if any Celiacs are using it (she has 2 references but neither one of us knows these families) and if they have seen any improvements with their child or themselves.

My girl is high BMI , her ht is 97% and wt 99+% . She was never the underweight norm of Celiac always been the opposite with food issue's. Mentally she psyches herself out and throws up any new veggie I ask her to try. This is an opportunity to get more good foods into her system. ( Not a vitamin or diet ) just an extra food source.

I am not recommending this product I just want to know if anyone is using it and what their results are.

Thanks

Ads by Google:

Haven't tried them but they just look like a vitamin. They couldn't possibly have more than a drop or too of veggie in each capsule, logically. So I wouldn't see them as a way to get veggies into a kid.

If you read them, they just say they take the nutrition of 17? Fruits and veggies. So sounds like they put the vitamins you would get if you ate the food. There really is no way to shrink a bunch of veggies and stick them in a pill. I hope your friend isn't saying that to sell them.

Hi -

We haven't tried them regularly but we got some samples. For what it's worth, my son does like them. But I'm skeptical that they provide much nutrition. My son is also very veggie averse so we've had to get a little creative. We got a juicer and throw carrots in (as long as we added an apple he'd drink it). Smoothies have also helped. I will also throw a jar of baby food squash into the egg mixture for French toast, or pureed veggies into muffins.

Hope this helps!

Like everyone else I'm skeptical. I think they are basically overpriced supplements. Last time I checked some of them contained oat bran and there is always a risk of CC when oats are involved. I never got the warm fuzzies that they cared about their products being gluten-free and I also don't like that they don't list the ingredients or actual nutritional content of their products on their website anywhere.

I think you'd have better luck trying a few recipes for kids designed to hide vegetables.

We have never tried Juice Plus, but what we do use is a whole food multi from Animal Parade (allergen free). They have whole foods (kale, spinach, mango, brown rice, papaya, the list goes on), probiotics, and digestive enzymes. They are a soft chewable and are sweetened with xylitol which is great for the teeth, Vitamin D3. I get them on Vitacost, they are Animal Parade GOLD- which they upgraded from the previous kind which did not use D3 (this variety uses 500 units of D3 which is what you want)

Not trying to be an advertisement :) just sharing that they work awesome for us, and give some nutritional reassurance, including TONS of whole foods and vegetables that you may be looking for.

I feel strongly about whole food sourced supplements vs synthetic, they are absorbed so much better and the bioactive in the body.

We have never tried Juice Plus, but what we do use is a whole food multi from Animal Parade (allergen free). They have whole foods (kale, spinach, mango, brown rice, papaya, the list goes on), probiotics, and digestive enzymes. They are a soft chewable and are sweetened with xylitol which is great for the teeth, Vitamin D3. I get them on Vitacost, they are Animal Parade GOLD- which they upgraded from the previous kind which did not use D3 (this variety uses 500 units of D3 which is what you want)

Not trying to be an advertisement :) just sharing that they work awesome for us, and give some nutritional reassurance, including TONS of whole foods and vegetables that you may be looking for.

I feel strongly about whole food sourced supplements vs synthetic, they are absorbed so much better and the bioactive in the body.

We also use Animal Parade for my DS, and I truly believe that had I not been giving him that vitamin supplement, his bloodwork wouldn't have even been "normal" as in, just barely within range, when they did it. I started giving it to him when I read that iron-deficiency and magnesium deficiency could interfere with sleep, and he started sleeping better after we started giving it. I agree that it's a good product, if you're looking for a basic supplement to help a child who is malabsorbing especially.

My family took Juice Plus for five years. We just stopped recently when we realized that my youngest son is very sensitive to oats and JP has oats in it. I called the company and they are seriously considering removing the oats from the product because of the gluten issue. They are very up on it, and told me that only the greens have oats, (the oats by the way, they called "gluten safe", not "gluten free") all the others are made on separate lines and have no risk of cc from the greens. So, if you want, you could just take the reds and purples and forgo the greens. I honestly think it's a great product and will be very happy to buy it again once they remove the oats.

I found this on DrMitraRay.com Q&A:

7. Is Juice Plus+ Gluten Free?
NSA states that Juice Plus+ products are manufactured for NSA by contract manufacturers. These products are regularly tested using the Tepnel ELISA methodology (AOAC method 991.19) for the presence of gluten. After the formula change that replaced rice bran for barley bran, the test results show JuicePlus+ contains less than 20 parts per million gluten. People who are gluten intolerant thrive on Juice Plus+.

My understanding is that this is not saying that JP+ contains 20ppm gluten, but that is the lowest resolution of the available tests. It could well be 0PPM up to 20PPM.  Also, to be more specific, it contains oat bran, not the whole oat, and still a small ammout at that.

I would say test it at 1/2 dose if there is a worry, then scale up.

o

I found this on DrMitraRay.com Q&A:

7. Is Juice Plus+ Gluten Free?

NSA states that Juice Plus+ products are manufactured for NSA by contract manufacturers. These products are regularly tested using the Tepnel ELISA methodology (AOAC method 991.19) for the presence of gluten. After the formula change that replaced rice bran for barley bran, the test results show JuicePlus+ contains less than 20 parts per million gluten. People who are gluten intolerant thrive on Juice Plus+.

My understanding is that this is not saying that JP+ contains 20ppm gluten, but that is the lowest resolution of the available tests. It could well be 0PPM up to 20PPM. Also, to be more specific, it contains oat bran, not the whole oat, and still a small ammout at that.

I would say test it at 1/2 dose if there is a worry, then scale up.

There are plenty of gluten free/ oat free vitamins. No need to risk one with non- gluten free oats. I'm sure in the last year that the OP Has found something safe