Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Extreme Fatigue & Brain Fog

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I am a 31 yr old woman. I was diagnosed with Celiac disease about 3 years ago. It was a long process to finally get diagnosed. I went from 160 lbs to 112 lbs in a year and was severely malnourished by the time i was finally diagnosed. But anywho, After being diagnosed, i went completely gluten-free and have stayed gluten free ever since.I am now 130 lbs, 5' 6".

Here is my problem though. I have complete brain fog. I am extremely weak and tired all the time. My muscles seem to ache the next day after lifting something minor, or doing some kinda of exercise. I just dont feel like i can function. I dont know if i am deficient in certain vitamins. I dont take any vitamins or supplements right now. I am worry and very scared that i am dying or something crazy. I am a bit of a hypochondriac but this weakness and fatigue i feel is serious and has gotten worse within the last week.

And help would be greatly appreciated!

thank you

Sophie

Ads by Google:

Hello everyone,

I am a 31 yr old woman. I was diagnosed with Celiac disease about 3 years ago. It was a long process to finally get diagnosed. I went from 160 lbs to 112 lbs in a year and was severely malnourished by the time i was finally diagnosed. But anywho, After being diagnosed, i went completely gluten-free and have stayed gluten free ever since.I am now 130 lbs, 5' 6".

Here is my problem though. I have complete brain fog. I am extremely weak and tired all the time. My muscles seem to ache the next day after lifting something minor, or doing some kinda of exercise. I just dont feel like i can function. I dont know if i am deficient in certain vitamins. I dont take any vitamins or supplements right now. I am worry and very scared that i am dying or something crazy. I am a bit of a hypochondriac but this weakness and fatigue i feel is serious and has gotten worse within the last week.

And help would be greatly appreciated!

thank you

Sophie

My brain fogginess, fatigue, and weakness are going away. I almost died 5 years back, then I didn't feel so well. (See My Story) I got on some good supplements recommended by my chiropractor and started to live again. Yet, only recently we discovered I was gluten intolerant. Now, I think I found the root of my problem. There is hope for you too.

You will probably need some supplements. If you can have some tests done to see what nutrients you need. This will help you decide which ones are needed and which are unnecessary. Make sure that you are not allergic to anything you are eating. Be careful when you do get supplements as 1/4 of them contain gluten! .

I feel poor again when I take in the wrong items. Actually, I even feel bad if I am just near them.

I went grain free when I still felt fatigued. It helped me. IF you make from scratch you can have complete control of what goes in.

I know that it is hard when you feel so tired to take care of yourself, but one can do it.

Oh, I do so hope we will get a good report of your progress in the future.

Maybe you could try some feel good foods? I feel so good when I have salmon and beets. Beans is another food that really seem to give me energy.

If you live next door(I am in MN)by all means I would like to help you. But for now here are some get well flowers.

Diana

Hi Sophie,

Welcome to the forum! The definition of gluten free can vary and awful lot among people. For some fad dieters it could mean not eating pizza or donuts on Friday nights, For some very sensitive celiacs it means washing all their grains and produce before cooking it or eating it. And for others it means no processed or few processed foods, including gluten-free foods. So, what does it mean to you? :) If we know what you typically eat it might help us help you.

But assuming you are totally gluten-free, and not getting cc'd from vitamins or meds or tea or other drinks or pet food or shared condiments or kissing a GE, or shampoo etc, then you might need to look into other food intolerances. Did you know solar flares have gluten in them? OK, kidding on that one of course. But there are lots of places it can hide, and barley and rye are just as much of a problem as wheat.

I'll chime in with GFinDC about the 'other food intolerances', though for me it's not other foods (except soy) so much as it is additives. Ingredients processed with sulfites will make me tired and give me brain fog (maltodextrin and corn syrup are the worst for me in that respect).

A food diary would probably be helpful, but just in case, here are some links I have related to sulfites:

http://www.naturalpedia.com/Sulfites-6.html

"In one study, 2,000 micrograms of sublingual vitamin B12 significantly prevented reactions to sulfites in 17 of 18 sulfite-sensitive subjects challenged with sulfites.

Here's an old thread from these forums:

and another good resource: http://www.readingtarget.com/nosulfites/