8 replies to this topic

#1 fikct

fikct

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:44 PM

Hi, Im creating this post because I am very confuse about what is going on with me. To brief you a little, Im 20 yo and a couple years ago I started having back pain along with abdominal bloating. At first I tried to not pay attention but it did not seem to get better. I started experimenting with food but wasn't able to pinpoint anything.

I started doing lots of tests, multiple blood/urine samples, colonoscopy,gastroscopy,CAT scan, and everything came back normal. They did test for celiac wich was negative. I tried a strict gluten free diet for 2 months but had no improvments at all.Tried probiotics too. I then started to read about salycilate and other chemical sensivity but even things considered safe everywhere seems to be a problem. This is just a little a brief history of what I tried.. because I tried a lot of things.. :( To get back on topic, I started having weird red skin on hands about 1 year and half ago.

Here is a picture (both hands are the same,sometimes it will crack and "burn(feels hot)" the red is really like a straight cut) :
Posted Image
Every professionnal I saw about my problems were seeing this for the first time. I'm pretty sure this have something to do with my bloating and food but doctors says it has nothing to do (tired of getting this answer).

I too suffer from low energy and have eye floaters that get really annoying some days. The only wrong thing that poped in the last blood test ive done (got results today) was that I had low vitamin D (51 nmol, normal are 75-150) but I doubt all my problems are related to only this. I'll stop here for this post but I have so many informations that I have accumulated throught time so if you have question just ask. My question is did you ever had/know someone how had similar problems ? What did help ?

Thanks for your help, im seriously running out of idea about what to try now.

Other infos : I exercise daily, eat only organic and food prepared by me (no additive,etc,you name it..),do yoga daily to relax..

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,698 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:05 PM

Welcome to the board. I hope I don't overwhelm you with all these questions but here goes.
Are your hands sensitive to cold? Have you seen a dermatologist? Do you work with any chemicals or in someplace like a bakery? Do you use any lotions?
When you went gluten free did you go with whole unprocessed foods and not add any specialty gluten free products? Have you had any C-reactive protein blood work done? I think that checks for inflammation. Do you have a lacey purple pattern to the rest of your skin especially when cold? I see some hints of that in your hand and wrist and it is called livedo reticularis. If you do a search you can see photos of that. I had that until I had been gluten free for a few months but it has resolved now. I think it was caused by the full body inflammation I had. Most doctors just shrugged their shoulders and said they didn't know what it was.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 fikct

fikct

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:19 PM

Welcome to the board. I hope I don't overwhelm you with all these questions but here goes.
Are your hands sensitive to cold? Have you seen a dermatologist? Do you work with any chemicals or in someplace like a bakery? Do you use any lotions?
When you went gluten free did you go with whole unprocessed foods and not add any specialty gluten free products? Have you had any C-reactive protein blood work done? I think that checks for inflammation. Do you have a lacey purple pattern to the rest of your skin especially when cold? I see some hints of that in your hand and wrist and it is called livedo reticularis. If you do a search you can see photos of that. I had that until I had been gluten free for a few months but it has resolved now. I think it was caused by the full body inflammation I had. Most doctors just shrugged their shoulders and said they didn't know what it was.

Hi, thanks for your questions,
cold sensitivity : not really but the red will turn more dark/blue when it is really cold.
chemicals : No at all, currently studying at university. The only lotion I tried was a moisturising but that didn't help.
I have not seen a dermatologist about it cause a lot of time I will feel a burning sensation after or while eating (anything).
C-reactive : from the results I had today(blood sample last week) : CReactive Protein(mg/L) < 3 (0-8)
For the rest of the skin everything looks okay, it is really only the part red on the picture.I will try searching on livedo reticularis.

For the gluten free, I ate nothing prepared gluten free. For grains, I only ate buckwheat, amaranth, millet but even those seems to bother me so I didn't eat a lot.

edit : just searched on livedo reticularis and found a picture where my hand actually look like this when cold :Posted Image

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,698 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:31 PM

My advice to you would be to see a derm. Your nail moons are very white and the skin under your nails very dark. I think that would provide some clues to a dermatologist as to what is going on.
Also have you had any vitamin panels done? If you are deficient in some vitamins that can affect the skin and nails.
Hopefully some other folks here will be on soon that might be of more help. If you don't get too many replies you might try reposting in the prediagnosis or related disorders and research section as they get a bit more 'traffic' sometimes.

edit I just saw the picture you added. Yup that is what my whole body looked like. LOL

When you tried the diet did you make sure you were cooking in a 'gluten clean' kitchen? New strainer, toaster, no scratched non-stick cookware and got new butter, nut butters etc?
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:53 PM

My first thought was that you may be dealing with a severe candida or other yeast/fungal overgrowth. It may what's causing your skin and intestinal symptoms. Do you get filmy white stuff on your tongue and corners of your lips in the morning? Have you ever had a genital yeast infection or bad case of foot fungus? Are your hands painful?
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#6 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:27 PM

I had the livedo reticularis all over my whole body too. Ravenwood helped me when I first came here so I would know that it "could" be caused by gluten. Of course there are other causes too. I was very concerned about this symptom. It took several months to go away, but it DID completely go away. Could NOT get a Dr. to be concerned about it at all. Ravenwood was my only hope that this condition could be related to gluten. For me the livedo reticularis appeared very suddenly and obviously...and it lasted 7 years until I stopped gluten due to other symptoms. I was very, very relieved that it went away on the gluten free diet. Now it is one of my ways of knowing that I have gotten gluten....my legs look like red lace for a few days. It is pretty obvious to me that mine was all caused by gluten.

You might try strict gluten free and see if it clears your skin. Seems that a whole lot of skin issued are caused by gluten, not only the biggie of DH (Dermatitis Herpetiformis)the skin form of Celiac.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#7 fikct

fikct

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:42 PM

Hi, thanks for your replies.

My first thought was that you may be dealing with a severe candida or other yeast/fungal overgrowth. It may what's causing your skin and intestinal symptoms. Do you get filmy white stuff on your tongue and corners of your lips in the morning? Have you ever had a genital yeast infection or bad case of foot fungus? Are your hands painful?

My tongue is sometimes a little white but I think it's a normal color. It's nowhere near thrush picture you can see online. I didn't had any genital infection or foot fungus. For my hand it is not painful but I can feel it when it's red.

I really feel it is caused by something I eat, I dropped the nuts beaucase when I hate say cashew butter, I could feel them turn red shortly after.

@eatmeat4good

What is ravenwood?

#8 Lfrost

Lfrost

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:29 PM

What is ravenwood?

Ravenwood is another member on this forum.

I would be very interested to hear if you find out any information on the red burning skin on the backs of your hands. My oldest daughter used to get this often, usually in the wintertime. Her doctor just dismissed it as eczema, but I never really bought that. After a few years, she started getting a similar rash on her neck along with her hands.

The only thing that she said helped was the spray on Eucerin cream.

#9 Emilee Whitesell

Emilee Whitesell

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

I really hope you see this! I had this SAME problem for a long time, all these different tests and blood samples urine samples, and so on, and so on. What about your toes? When you have a flare up, do your toes vary in temperature and color (pink, blue, red, white, purple)? This is a vascular version of Reynaud's Phenom. In addition, the dry and cracking skin IS an intestinal or absorption issue, not enough oils being absorbed into your blood stream. Also, I finally got the diagnosis of Lupus last year. Voltaren gel reallllyy helps this issue, and there are other medications that can help with the blood flow to your fingers. Hope this helps!!!

Hi, Im creating this post because I am very confuse about what is going on with me. To brief you a little, Im 20 yo and a couple years ago I started having back pain along with abdominal bloating. At first I tried to not pay attention but it did not seem to get better. I started experimenting with food but wasn't able to pinpoint anything.

I started doing lots of tests, multiple blood/urine samples, colonoscopy,gastroscopy,CAT scan, and everything came back normal. They did test for celiac wich was negative. I tried a strict gluten free diet for 2 months but had no improvments at all.Tried probiotics too. I then started to read about salycilate and other chemical sensivity but even things considered safe everywhere seems to be a problem. This is just a little a brief history of what I tried.. because I tried a lot of things.. Posted Image To get back on topic, I started having weird red skin on hands about 1 year and half ago.

Here is a picture (both hands are the same,sometimes it will crack and "burn(feels hot)" the red is really like a straight cut) :
Posted Image
Every professionnal I saw about my problems were seeing this for the first time. I'm pretty sure this have something to do with my bloating and food but doctors says it has nothing to do (tired of getting this answer).

I too suffer from low energy and have eye floaters that get really annoying some days. The only wrong thing that poped in the last blood test ive done (got results today) was that I had low vitamin D (51 nmol, normal are 75-150) but I doubt all my problems are related to only this. I'll stop here for this post but I have so many informations that I have accumulated throught time so if you have question just ask. My question is did you ever had/know someone how had similar problems ? What did help ?

Thanks for your help, im seriously running out of idea about what to try now.

Other infos : I exercise daily, eat only organic and food prepared by me (no additive,etc,you name it..),do yoga daily to relax..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: