21 replies to this topic

#1 KMMO320

KMMO320

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:17 PM

tomorrow is the day I find out my Endo and blood results and finally get a Dx, possibly.

I am nervous. There is part of me that is hoping it IS celiac disease because its not the worst thing in the world to manage and it would just explain everything, and part of me is praying to God it is NOT because all I want to do right now is enjoy the things I have been enjoying all my life. lol

I really don't know what else it could be.
I have been gluten-free for 2.5 weeks now and for the most part, I feel pretty good. So I kind of feel like ok..this HAS to be what it is!

Today at work (I waitress) I had some grilled chicken, mashed potatoes covered in a creamy blue cheese sauce. NOW..I have heard 2 things about Blue Cheese..I have heard that it is NO NO because of the way it is made (on bread) and I have heard that it is perfectly fine to eat...so I had this meal Saturday night and felt ok, so I had it again today...MISTAKE!!
I can't say if it WAS the Blue Cheese or if something was CC but I came home with a whopper of a migraine. I had to go straight to bed. I just woke up a little while ago and feel totally drained. My stomach is ok..its just my head. So much pressure. This happened last week after I ate half a donut.

I cant wait for tomorrow. I just want to KNOW!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:37 PM

Well, I hope you get a clear result. If it is positive you are all set, stay gluten-free. If it is negative, you otter stay gluten-free anyhow since the false results are not always right. You can always do a gluten challenge after a month or two and see what happens. But since you are feeling better without gluten it is best to avoid it IMHO.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#3 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:40 PM

tomorrow is the day I find out my Endo and blood results and finally get a Dx, possibly.

I am nervous. There is part of me that is hoping it IS celiac disease because its not the worst thing in the world to manage and it would just explain everything, and part of me is praying to God it is NOT because all I want to do right now is enjoy the things I have been enjoying all my life. lol

I really don't know what else it could be.
I have been gluten-free for 2.5 weeks now and for the most part, I feel pretty good. So I kind of feel like ok..this HAS to be what it is!

Today at work (I waitress) I had some grilled chicken, mashed potatoes covered in a creamy blue cheese sauce. NOW..I have heard 2 things about Blue Cheese..I have heard that it is NO NO because of the way it is made (on bread) and I have heard that it is perfectly fine to eat...so I had this meal Saturday night and felt ok, so I had it again today...MISTAKE!!
I can't say if it WAS the Blue Cheese or if something was CC but I came home with a whopper of a migraine. I had to go straight to bed. I just woke up a little while ago and feel totally drained. My stomach is ok..its just my head. So much pressure. This happened last week after I ate half a donut.

I cant wait for tomorrow. I just want to KNOW!

I hope you will get to the root of your health problems and get better. I know just that hopeful/dreading feeling of waiting for results. I was glad mine came by e-mail. I was able to hold my breath and then look!

If you have gluten intolerance you will be happy, not because you have one, but because now you can find out what to do. If you don't gluten intolerance then you need to search out another explanation.

My genetic test was positive and my blood antibody test (IGG) was negative. My MD and Chiropractor said the antibody test was a false negative. They trusted the genetic test. Also, by then I was reacting forcefully to gluten.

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,768 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:24 AM

Since you are feeling a bit better gluten-free stay that way for a bit and then challenge if you feel the need after a couple of months no matter what the results.
As was mentioned false negatives are unfortunately all too common.
If you had that grilled chicken at work there is a good chance it was CC'd unless they use a clean pan to cook it in and took the other precautions that need to be taken for us.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 KMMO320

KMMO320

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:02 AM

Well..blood and.endo are.negative. Aside from some serious ulcers, she said she saw nothing wrong in there. She said there is zero.evidence to support celiac disease or intolerance, even though all my symptoms point to it. She is redoing bloodwork today and in 3 mos, but otherwise, thats it. Im pretty aggravated.with my body right.now. I just dont know what to do.

#6 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:50 AM

Well..blood and.endo are.negative. Aside from some serious ulcers, she said she saw nothing wrong in there. She said there is zero.evidence to support celiac disease or intolerance, even though all my symptoms point to it. She is redoing bloodwork today and in 3 mos, but otherwise, thats it. Im pretty aggravated.with my body right.now. I just dont know what to do.

Well.. you can always go on being undiagnosed. I'm undiagnosed but I'm pretty sure I have celiac. No one can stop you from living gluten-free if it's the only way you're feeling better.
I myself decided to stop going after an official diagnoses once I found out my thyroid "might" have started being effected. I don't want risk any permanent damage to it and a gluten challenge for a 30% accurate testing system is not worth it to me. I don't feel a need to prove it to others any more because all my symptoms are starting to go away.

Don't worry, no matter what it's not the end of the world :-)
You can also ask for your test results and show them to the members here. THey're pretty good at reading them.
Did the doc check for vitamin levels in your blood?
Self diagnosed January 2012, and on elimination, low-salicylate & low-iodine diet.
Also G6PD

#7 KMMO320

KMMO320

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:08 PM

Thanks. Well whats happening is that I always trusted dr's opinions and this dr is saying she does.not reccomend going gluten-free if there.is no evidence and therefore do NOT go gluten-free. so part.of me is like...so, this is all in my head? For almost 3 weeks I have been gluten-free.and have had only 2.migraines..coincidentally on the same.days.I knowingly.ate.gluten.and all my bowel movements.have been normal ish..after.17 years of loose bms. (ps, forgive my typing, on phone lol)
I have more.energy, less foggy head, etc..
She.says.its my.ulcers.that I have been messing up my sromach...I said ok but what about my head.stuff? She said she had.no answers...so had me give blood.for.a.genetic test. I just.dont know what to do. I was so upset, I came home.and ate pieces of cornbread. Sigh. Maybe i am just.intolerant.and that would be.great I guess.

#8 KMMO320

KMMO320

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:09 PM

Oh...my b12 and iron were great..but vitamin D was.very very low. She.prescribed.some high.dose for me

#9 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,768 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:15 PM

Stay on the diet if it is helping and it sounds like it is. Do get actual copies of the endo and blood results and post. Some doctors don't like to diagnose unless villi are totally destroyed and ignore the stages that come before total destruction. Ulcers can be the result of celiac also.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#10 dani nero

dani nero

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:16 PM

Even my doctor thought whether I go gluten-free or not was up to me. Doctors are not always right and not always wrong when it comes to celiac disease. Being gluten-free will not harm you in any way even if you're not intolerant, but if you happen to have celiac and don't feel any symptoms the damage will still be done.
Self diagnosed January 2012, and on elimination, low-salicylate & low-iodine diet.
Also G6PD

#11 KMMO320

KMMO320

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:30 PM

Thanks everyone. I just really thought Id get an answer :( ah well, i should be happy.

#12 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:36 PM

Thanks. Well whats happening is that I always trusted dr's opinions and this dr is saying she does.not reccomend going gluten-free if there.is no evidence and therefore do NOT go gluten-free. so part.of me is like...so, this is all in my head? For almost 3 weeks I have been gluten-free.and have had only 2.migraines..coincidentally on the same.days.I knowingly.ate.gluten.and all my bowel movements.have been normal ish..after.17 years of loose bms. (ps, forgive my typing, on phone lol)
I have more.energy, less foggy head, etc..
She.says.its my.ulcers.that I have been messing up my sromach...I said ok but what about my head.stuff? She said she had.no answers...so had me give blood.for.a.genetic test. I just.dont know what to do. I was so upset, I came home.and ate pieces of cornbread. Sigh. Maybe i am just.intolerant.and that would be.great I guess.

Ugh.

Well, false negatives ARE common. Don't take a negative test as a recommendation to continue eating gluten!

I hate to see you say "maybe I am just intolerant". Non-celiac gluten intolerance is a very real condition and should not be discounted. The symptoms/reactions can be as bad as a person who is celiac, the only difference is that the intestines do not sustain damage. The misery gluten causes is the same as for celiac!

The medical field IS beginning to accept this. Unfortunately it is not yet widespread, but many of the pioneers in the field are writing about it. Dr. Scot Lewey is one (and has many articles on celiac.com), here is a light, easy to read article about his own experience with gluten sensitivity.

So, whether you are "intolerant" or "celiac" is not as important as whether you are healing on a gluten-free diet. If that is the case, then that looks like a good path for you.

I am very glad your doc is working with you and going ahead with the genetics and is also willing to re-test. Most would have quit on you at this point. Of course, you probably don't want to be eating gluten for 3 more months. :blink:

I am shocked she would tell you NOT to go gluten free.
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

#13 KMMO320

KMMO320

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:50 PM

I think she thought shed save me money, she kept saying how expensive being gluten-free was.
I didnt mean to discount intolerance, I apologize. And believe me, i.feel so miserable most days, I get it. Feeling lousy.now after.eating all that cornbread lol...sigh...but seriously, thanks all for being here. I am going.to keep plugging away. i am thankful at least to find out about my ulcers. She showed me pictures. Not pretty! Kind of scary.to see, actually.

#14 KMMO320

KMMO320

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:01 PM

Also, my primary dr did a blood test..I dont think it was a full panel..and it showed signs of celiac disease, which is why I got sent to the Gastro in the first place.

My Gastro today said that all the blood work she herself took, showed NO signs of celiac disease at all..which contradicted what my Primary took..which led her to believe that there was a mixup in blood work. My Primary's bloodwork showed low IGA levels and the Gastros did not. She thinks one of the 2 tests may be wrong. So I had to retake them today, in addition to genetic testing, which my ins may or may not cover but I had them do it anyway since I was there, I may regret that later :(

I should have though to ask for copies or my tests, but I was shocked. I thought for sure I would have everything explained away today. years and years and years of feeling like this. But yes, like everyone says, I dont need permission to eat or not eat anything. I will just pick myself up and carry on and see how I feel gluten-free and then likely challenge myself at some point.

#15 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:20 PM

The corn bread probably has wheat flour in it if it was a mix? Ah well, something to watch out for later.
Quite a few people do end up without a formal diagnosis. The testing process just isn't really perfected yet. We still don't have the Star Trek tricorder available. May never for that matter.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: