Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Diagnosed By Dentist With Grinding Of Teeth

7 posts in this topic

I've known myself to be Celiac for 2-3 years. it's only recently I've taken major steps to be completely gluten free. My dentist has diagnosed me with having grinding of my teeth at night and said I should get a mouth guard. Could the damage he's attributing to teeth grinding be associated with my Celiac disease? I guess the enamel is damaged. it helps to not brush my teeth for as long, at least with the pian and sensitivity, but I never really went overboard with brushing my teeth in the first place. I don't want to get a mouth guard which may be uncomfortable if it won't help. Plus we really don't have a lot of money to be buying them on a regular basis.

On a side note if I ever meet anyone with the disease that's not gluten free I'm going to tell them-just don't eat gluten. I've had a cluster of health problems. I didn't know where to go to get information when I was first diagnosed and my mother who I live with wasn't completely cooperative. She's being more cooperative as things go on, but I can't help but think, maybe I'd be healthy now if I'd been gluten free from the beginning.

Ads by Google:

[Many of us have the enamel off our teeth. I have heard that the body thinks it is gluten and attacks it! I had braces (at 17) my dentist blamed the missing enamel on not brushing well enough when I had braces. But I brushed every time I ate, so I thought that was queer. I have never been able to tell my dentist anything. :o

My husband sometimes grinds his teeth. I think that may wear out the teeth in a characteristic way. If I catch him grinding, I give him a knock. I have him drop his jaw. He is quickly back to sleep with no more grinding. B)

I will want to watch this and see if anyone else grinds their teeth. Incidentaly, if my husband has Celiac problems they are unknown.

Previous poster is correct. The damage from teeth grinding is obvious to a dentist. It wears the teeth down on the biting surfaces. I used to be a grinder and trained myself to keep my tongue or cheek between my teeth. I really should have gotten a mouth guard instead. I would give the guard a try. If it is too uncomfortable then drop it's use. You may find after you have been gluten free for a bit the grinding let's up but not sure about that.

Celiac damages the enamel on all sides of the teeth not just on the biting surface. What I always heard as a youngster was I was drinking too much soda. Only thing was we were poor and almost never drank anything other than water. Soda was reserved for stomach issue, flat ginger ale or coke.

I too was told to get a mouth guard. But you are right...even with insurance, mine was going to be almost $400!! I decided against it. Plus, my chiropractor said that longterm use of a mouth guard can cause other problems (misalignment of the jaw). I read an interesting fact - the only time your teeth should touch is when you are chewing. When I think about this, I'm more aware of my grinding. I was able to stop for a very long time - I've only recently starting grinding again. Maybe it's coincidence, but I believe I'm developing other food allergies presently - been feeling awful lately and my diet hasn't changed. Maybe there is a connection.

I just wondered if maybe the gluten damage could be mistaken for the grinding. I guess I'm probably stuck with buying an OTC Grind Guard. The one in my price range one person on one site said was bulky and uncomfortable but on Amazon got a lot of positive reviews.

I hope I have at least average size teeth so the bulkiness of the device isn't too much.

My non-celiac husband has TMJ and clinches his teeth. We didn't want to pay $400 for a mouth guard. (He was waking up with headaches) We bought one at Wal-Greens for $20. It has worked WONDERS for him. They have different price ranges. I think the most expensive is $20-$25. That's the one we got and it really helps! I don't think it is celiac related.

I would definitely get a night guard. I bought mine from Amazon (they have them at CVS too) for $25. It's called Sleep Right and I got it because it's BPA free. It takes a few nights to get used to...pretty aweful at first, but now I can't sleep without one. For a long while, I refused to listen to the dentist and now I have several cracked molars and already have two crowns and will need a third. That can get really expensive and painful.