6 replies to this topic

#1 MikeOhio

MikeOhio

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:52 PM

I've known myself to be Celiac for 2-3 years. it's only recently I've taken major steps to be completely gluten free. My dentist has diagnosed me with having grinding of my teeth at night and said I should get a mouth guard. Could the damage he's attributing to teeth grinding be associated with my Celiac disease? I guess the enamel is damaged. it helps to not brush my teeth for as long, at least with the pian and sensitivity, but I never really went overboard with brushing my teeth in the first place. I don't want to get a mouth guard which may be uncomfortable if it won't help. Plus we really don't have a lot of money to be buying them on a regular basis.

On a side note if I ever meet anyone with the disease that's not gluten free I'm going to tell them-just don't eat gluten. I've had a cluster of health problems. I didn't know where to go to get information when I was first diagnosed and my mother who I live with wasn't completely cooperative. She's being more cooperative as things go on, but I can't help but think, maybe I'd be healthy now if I'd been gluten free from the beginning.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:19 PM

[Many of us have the enamel off our teeth. I have heard that the body thinks it is gluten and attacks it! I had braces (at 17) my dentist blamed the missing enamel on not brushing well enough when I had braces. But I brushed every time I ate, so I thought that was queer. I have never been able to tell my dentist anything. :o

My husband sometimes grinds his teeth. I think that may wear out the teeth in a characteristic way. If I catch him grinding, I give him a knock. I have him drop his jaw. He is quickly back to sleep with no more grinding. B)

I will want to watch this and see if anyone else grinds their teeth. Incidentaly, if my husband has Celiac problems they are unknown.

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:12 AM

Previous poster is correct. The damage from teeth grinding is obvious to a dentist. It wears the teeth down on the biting surfaces. I used to be a grinder and trained myself to keep my tongue or cheek between my teeth. I really should have gotten a mouth guard instead. I would give the guard a try. If it is too uncomfortable then drop it's use. You may find after you have been gluten free for a bit the grinding let's up but not sure about that.
Celiac damages the enamel on all sides of the teeth not just on the biting surface. What I always heard as a youngster was I was drinking too much soda. Only thing was we were poor and almost never drank anything other than water. Soda was reserved for stomach issue, flat ginger ale or coke.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 ndw3363

ndw3363

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:12 AM

I too was told to get a mouth guard. But you are right...even with insurance, mine was going to be almost $400!! I decided against it. Plus, my chiropractor said that longterm use of a mouth guard can cause other problems (misalignment of the jaw). I read an interesting fact - the only time your teeth should touch is when you are chewing. When I think about this, I'm more aware of my grinding. I was able to stop for a very long time - I've only recently starting grinding again. Maybe it's coincidence, but I believe I'm developing other food allergies presently - been feeling awful lately and my diet hasn't changed. Maybe there is a connection.

#5 MikeOhio

MikeOhio

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:33 PM

I just wondered if maybe the gluten damage could be mistaken for the grinding. I guess I'm probably stuck with buying an OTC Grind Guard. The one in my price range one person on one site said was bulky and uncomfortable but on Amazon got a lot of positive reviews.

I hope I have at least average size teeth so the bulkiness of the device isn't too much.

#6 1974girl

1974girl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:17 PM

My non-celiac husband has TMJ and clinches his teeth. We didn't want to pay $400 for a mouth guard. (He was waking up with headaches) We bought one at Wal-Greens for $20. It has worked WONDERS for him. They have different price ranges. I think the most expensive is $20-$25. That's the one we got and it really helps! I don't think it is celiac related.

#7 Looking for answers

Looking for answers

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:13 AM

I would definitely get a night guard. I bought mine from Amazon (they have them at CVS too) for $25. It's called Sleep Right and I got it because it's BPA free. It takes a few nights to get used to...pretty aweful at first, but now I can't sleep without one. For a long while, I refused to listen to the dentist and now I have several cracked molars and already have two crowns and will need a third. That can get really expensive and painful.
2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)
2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life
2009 Low T3 thyroid hormone, muscle twitching and adrenal fatigue
2006- Elevated Speckled ANA. GI suggested Celiac. Started gluten-free diet, but sloppily
2005 - Thought I had wheat "allergy." Stopped eating bread, oats problem too
College years - Still vegan -sickest point in life. Every classic celiac symptom
Teenage years - Stomach pain prompted veganism -> BIG mistake!
Child - Awful gas, D, C. Chronic infections, appendix and tonsils removed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: