7 replies to this topic

#1 Debra Adkins

Debra Adkins

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:13 AM

Does anyone know if Aspartame is gluten? I have been glutened and can't figure out what it is. I'm getting very frustrated!!!!! I can not find out for sure. I found one list where it was posted as a gluten, but when I do research I'm not coming up with any answers..Any input would be greatly appreciated... :(

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:21 AM

Aspartame is gluten-free.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:31 AM

It's gluten free. However, for me, it gives me stomach pain and bloating. I am fine with sucralose but it's harder to find diet soda without the aspartame.

Yes, we know artificial sweeteners aren't good for us.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#4 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:37 AM

My chiropractor told me that aspartame can also cause generalized muscle pain. As I have constant chronic pain, I have avoided it since that day.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#5 Ginsou

Ginsou

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:25 PM

It's gluten free. However, for me, it gives me stomach pain and bloating. I am fine with sucralose but it's harder to find diet soda without the aspartame.

Yes, we know artificial sweeteners aren't good for us.

Aspartame also bothers me...gives me diarrhea....I had no idea what was causing my problem until my husband mentioned not to buy a certain product because it gave him D....it contained aspertame.

#6 GlutenFreeAustinite

GlutenFreeAustinite

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:50 AM

Aspartame and MSG give me horrible headaches, stomach upset, etc. I also have this problem with sugar/high fructose corn syrup.

With MSG, I get this really nasty burning in my throat and I have this general feeling of being "disconnected" from the world around me.

#7 Cheryl_C

Cheryl_C

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:47 AM

Count me in for aspartame headaches! Because I don't have trouble with sugar, I'd rather have a bit of sugar than aspartame or any other artificial sweetener.

#8 RonSchon

RonSchon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:47 AM

I discovered my allergy to artificial sweeteners about 6 or 7 years ago. The only one I can tolerate is S&L - and when people say "the pink stuff" - nope - most of the knockoff pink packets effect me too. Just S&L for me in my morning Latte. I can't tell you how often Starbucks misses that - at $4 for a cup of coffee it would seem a no-brainer that a person who speaks clearly and with emphasis on I MUST HAVE SWEET AND LOW BECAUSE I'M ALLERGIC TO ALL OTHERS would be handled correctly.

They effect me with headaches, sore throat, and sinus clog. If I have a full diet soda today, tomorrow and the next day I'll have those symptoms.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: