5 replies to this topic

#1 RPM

RPM

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:48 PM

I've read MANY times on here and other places that when something says "Vinegar", it HAS to (legally, it seemed) be "Apple Cider Vinegar"...is that not true? because on Kraft's website this is what it says: "Vinegar listed in the ingredient statement of Kraft products means distilled vinegar is used. Per our ingredient suppliers, the distilled vinegar we use does not contain gluten."

many people have always said that if it's distilled vinegar, it HAS to say distilled before it but is that now the case now or something?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,994 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:19 PM

In an ingredient list, ingredients are separated by commas. Between consecutive commas is the name of an ingredient, which may involve more than one word. The whole ingredient name must be considered, not the individual words in it.

"Vinegar" is a different ingredient from "Distilled Vinegar." "Malt Vinegar" is yet another. The first two are gluten-free, the last one is not. My understanding is that the single-word ingredient "vinegar" in the US refers to apple cider vinegar (which may be distilled). "Distilled vinegar" can be from apple or other sources. Distillation renders it gluten-free.

Malt vinegar is not distilled, and is usually made from barley, a gluten grain.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 RPM

RPM

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:13 AM

Like you said, "Vinegar" is different from "Distilled Vinegar" but what Kraft is saying is that whenever it says "Vinegar", it's distilled vinegar...I'm one of the people that reacts to distilled things and I was under the impression that since the sauce says "Vinegar", it's definitely apple cider vinegar like I've read so many times...but they're saying that their "vinegar" is a distilled vinegar, which means it could be from wheat

I've been feeling sick recently so it just made me curious...I thought the single word "vinegar" was without a doubt apple cider vinegar but that quote from before shows it's a distilled vinegar

#4 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,994 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:31 PM

I would draw the conclusion that it is distilled vinegar made from apple cider.

Click here for the FDA definition of "Vinegar" and other ingredient names containing the word vinegar.

Item 1 in the list is the relevant one. It says: The product made by the alcoholic and subsequent acetous fermentations of the juice of apples. It is neither requires, nor prohibits, distillation as part of the process.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 RPM

RPM

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:21 AM

very interesting, thanks! it caught me off guard because one of their sauces says "Vinegar" AND "Apple Cider Vinegar" in the ingredients...I guess the first one is distilled apple cider vinegar and the second one is regular apple cider vinegar then

#6 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:42 AM

I love this board. Two years on here and I am still learning new and helpful things. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: