Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Meat Allergy Caused By Tick Bite

• Please log in to reply

6 replies to this topic

#1 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:35 PM

Lone Star Tick causing meat allergies in central Virginia

By Kris Van Cleave June 18, 2012 - 03:49 pm

The allergy concerns people throughout the Commonwealth who have been bitten by the Lone Star Tick. People who are affected have found themselves totally unable to consume red meat.

Just posting a snippet but full story is at the link. Seems strange that people get a meat allergy after being bitten by a tick? I hadn't heard of that one before.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bartfull

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,604 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:45 PM

Now that IS interesting. Also, did you notice this?

"My life would be over if I couldn't eat red meat," Alexandria resident David Kudlow said. "If I couldn't have steak, I probably wouldn't want to live much longer."

Another one who doesn't THINK before he speaks!

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#3 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:11 PM

The allergy concerns people throughout the Commonwealth who have been bitten by the Lone Star Tick. People who are affected have found themselves totally unable to consume red meat.

Just posting a snippet but full story is at the link. Seems strange that people get a meat allergy after being bitten by a tick? I hadn't heard of that one before.

I have heard of a few times and those I have been in contact with it say that they are unable to eat anything on hooves, not just red meat. I would find that very difficult myself. It is strange, though. I would like to learn more about it.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#4 Pac

Pac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:16 PM

Well, at least I know which parts of the world I should avoid: http://www.cdc.gov/t...e_star_tick.pdf

I know I could live without eating meat, but I definitively don't want to.

Maybe it has something to do with antibodies cross-reactivity? Body will make antibodies against some infection transfered buy the bug and these will cross-react with certain meat proteins? There are theories linking autoimmune diseases to infections via the same route.

#5 woodnewt

woodnewt

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:30 PM

This is scary. Very scary. Glad there is medical research being done on this. The article and video is interesting but doesn't explain any possible mechanisms causing the "allergies." Likely just too soon into the research. I wonder if a similar epitope is shared between meat protein and some sort of bacteria or immunogen (possibly from bacteria) that the tick could be carrying, causing an overreaction of the immune system? The delayed reaction of 2-4 hours could also mean the small bowel could be involved somehow because this is about the time it would take for the food to reach the duodenum. Overall very interesting and frightening but need more details in order to speculate further. I know there is a similar thing with ciguatera fish poisoning and nuts, but it is not well researched.

Edit: There's an article on CNN about this giving more information.
http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=he_c1

According to the article it is apparently a true allergic reaction to not a protein but a sugar, galactose-alpha-1,3-galactose which is found in all mammallian meat barring humans, apes and greater primates. And the reaction is delayed. This would be considered highly unusual but is very, very interesting. I wonder if there could be more of these types of delayed allergic reactions going on that are unidentified and not necessarily related to meat or ticks.

#6 Austin Guy

Austin Guy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:18 AM

I recently found myself getting digestive problems after eating venison, then I noticed it after eating beef. I found the tick articles and put it together. I'm in central Texas on 4 acres and must have picked up a tick without realizing it. There are specific sugars in red meat and pork that cause an allergy in some people bitten by the common lone star tick. Amazing!

Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant May 10, 2011 after going gluten free May 8.
Allergic to cat dander, salmon, nuts, lots of airborne pollens and mold.
Soy intolerance August 2011
Dairy and egg intolerance November 2011
Peanuts 2013
Titanium dioxide June, 2014

Bisphenol-A August, 2014.

#7 mr pete

mr pete

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:23 PM

pls don't think u can avoid being bitten by so called local or regional buggies...supposedly brown recluse spiders r indigenous to the tennessee valley area...was bitten by 1 10 yrs ago in altoona pa area....life has never been the same...found using the common weed leaves of plantain as a poultice applied, stopped the eaten flesh reaction dead...interstate and world transportation tickets r free 4 everything to hitch a ride...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: