18 replies to this topic

#1 Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:50 PM

I bought a pasta maker looking at making my own pasta. My family is not gluten free so i was looking for a safe nonporous cutting board. I went to the biggest cookware store around here and everything was plastic or wood which can get knicked and hide gluten. Anybody have any advice as to where i could get one? Thx guys
Gluten and Oat Free 6/'12
Dairy, Corn and Yeast free 7/'12
Nightshade Free, Candida diet & low salicylates 8/'12
Nightshades and carbs and sugars limitedly reintroduced, most salicylates now tolerated 9/'12
No longer Reacting to yeasty breads 10/'12
Test confirmed yeast overgrowth, back on Candida diet 11/'12

You only get one life so make it count.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:08 PM

Oh gosh, I was just reading a thread I think yesterday where IrishHeart provided a link for some cutting "mats". I could never find the thread again. I'll see if I can get IH to pop in with the info.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#3 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:09 PM

Wood is porous by nature, and can not be shared. Plastic is not porous, although it can become damaged through scratches--as can metal bakeware and porcelain. If it is in good condition, I would continue to use it. If it is damaged, toss it. This applies no matter what it is made of.

Metal wire colanders are a special concern. Even if they are not damaged, the points where the wires cross pinch and can trap food particles.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,122 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:37 PM

Oh gosh, I was just reading a thread I think yesterday where IrishHeart provided a link for some cutting "mats". I could never find the thread again. I'll see if I can get IH to pop in with the info.

Here's the cutting mats. I have gotten them at the Dollar store, Walmart, Bed, Bath & Beyond, etc. if you cut meat on them, they go in the dishwasher. You can curl them a bit to pour your cut veggies Ito the pot. They don't last forever. But they are cheap and fit in a suitcase.

http://www.norpro.co...ory/cut-n-slice

http://www.bedbathan...sp?SKU=18540908

At my house, we have a black cutting board for gluten bread and sandwiches. And red ones and some of these thin ones, for fruit, veggies, meat, cheese....all the gluten-free stuff.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:33 PM

I have issues with a shared kitchen and no one respecting my stuff. I bought a glass cutting board at Wal-Mart and hate it, but it's the only one I won't have to replace every time someone does something stupid.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#6 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:37 AM

I have issues with a shared kitchen and no one respecting my stuff. I bought a glass cutting board at Wal-Mart and hate it, but it's the only one I won't have to replace every time someone does something stupid.

I was going to suggest glass. It's heavy and cumbersome, but safe. You can put little rubber feet on the back or use that rollup waffle-looking silicone/rubber mat stuff to hold it in place. Oy, I need to get a cutting board too....
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#7 Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Razzle Dazzle Brazell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:47 AM

Lol thats okay. Thx
Nightshades and carbs and sugars limitedly reintroduced, most salicylates now tolerated 9/'12

#8 Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Razzle Dazzle Brazell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:50 AM

Wood is porous by nature, and can not be shared. Plastic is not porous, although it can become damaged through scratches--as can metal bakeware and porcelain. If it is in good condition, I would continue to use it. If it is damaged, toss it. This applies no matter what it is made of.

Metal wire colanders are a special concern. Even if they are not damaged, the points where the wires cross pinch and can trap food particles.

I waswondering whether a granite or marble would be good because i could also use it as a baking stone. I got a bunch of cookware at the store and its expensive so if i could kill two birds with one stone it would be nice. What do you think?

#9 Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Razzle Dazzle Brazell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:57 AM

Yeah they had glass cutting boards at Bed Bath and Beyond and Wal-Mart but they all had ridges and i wasnt comfortable with that. My mother and father pretty much dont touch my things but my brother recently moved back in and he is....well....he is a sloppy inconsiderate young male what can i say

#10 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:53 AM

I waswondering whether a granite or marble would be good because i could also use it as a baking stone. I got a bunch of cookware at the store and its expensive so if i could kill two birds with one stone it would be nice. What do you think?

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Two birds with one stone Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image I love your sense of humor!

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#11 Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Razzle Dazzle Brazell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:07 AM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Two birds with one stone Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image I love your sense of humor!

Lol well i am not as brave as David i cant slay a giant with a lil stone so i will just stick to bird killing right now. Any weapon suggestions is greatly appreciated. I just ned to figure out what kind of stone ;)

#12 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:44 AM

You're still cracking me up.

But on a serious note, the granite & the marble are both porous even though they are stone but if no one else used it then no problem.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011

#13 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:09 PM

Yeah they had glass cutting boards at Bed Bath and Beyond and Wal-Mart but they all had ridges and i wasnt comfortable with that. My mother and father pretty much dont touch my things but my brother recently moved back in and he is....well....he is a sloppy inconsiderate young male what can i say

The glass cutting board I have is only smooth on one side, the other side is lightly textured. It's still super easy to clean, I've never had to scrub it and I've occasionally let it sit a day or so before washing it. (I still hate it.)

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#14 Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Razzle Dazzle Brazell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:20 PM

You're still cracking me up.

But on a serious note, the granite & the marble are both porous even though they are stone but if no one else used it then no problem.

Yeah i realize that now since i looked it up. Its just gonna come down to me separating all my things and buying stuff for me only and if they dont like it oh well. If i get kicked out for that then idk wat to say other yhan my pops is just a jerk

#15 Razzle Dazzle Brazell

Razzle Dazzle Brazell

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:27 PM

The glass cutting board I have is only smooth on one side, the other side is lightly textured. It's still super easy to clean, I've never had to scrub it and I've occasionally let it sit a day or so before washing it. (I still hate it.)

Yeah i didnt think to check the other side oh my poor gluten-fried brain. I will go back and buy one tomorrow or im gonna starve. Im having those gluten hangovers where i feel like i could eat anything in the house. Im surprised i havent swallowed it whole like it were a gingerbread house. I think if i told somebody i was preggers they would believe me!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: