Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Grilling Question

8 posts in this topic

This is a really stupid question but my mom and I are grilling hamburgers tonight and mine can't be grilled on the actual grill grates due to non gluten free things being made on the grill. I know the grill can be cleaned by getting it to a certain temperature for a certain amout of time but I don't want to do that tonight and I've read that you can grill it on tin foil. My question is this: Do you just put the foil on the grill and put the burger on top of it or does the burger need to be wrapped in the foil or do we need to sit it on the foil and raise the sides to make like a little boat thing? (Clearly I'm not an experienced griller lol)

If anyone could tell me the best way to do this or if this is even safe to do that would be great! thanks!

Ads by Google:

FYI,

The safest way is to wrap a burger in foil and cook it like that. You can cover the grill plate and poke holes but then you have to still worry about CC from the rest of the grill.

BTW burgers in foil come out looking like grey hockey pucks, they basically steep in the foil packet, sorry. Watch them closely, don't overcook them.

good luck

I would personally not close the tinfoil because if completely covered by tinfoil they will steam but as the burgers contain fait I would definitely make a little boat around them. If you have a cast iron frying pan you can use that on the grill, too. That way you will get the lovely sizzle and they will brown nicely.

You can also buy aluminum foil grilling trays at the supermarket.

You can totally enclose them in foil but they taste better with some BBQ sauce in the packet. See foil dinner suggestions in my link.

Also, what Doug said. You can also get a piece of metal to cook fish on that sits on the grill. That might work, too.

Replacement grates don't cost all that much. I'd just get a new one and never let anyone cook a gluten product on it.

Replacement grates don't cost all that much. I'd just get a new one and never let anyone cook a gluten product on it.

Exactly what I was just thinking. That is what we did, actually, and no gluten product has ever touched it. No worries about CC.

Or use Easy-Off Grill Cleaner on the grates (found in the section with the oven cleaners). Wal-Mart carries it. Heck, why wouldn't regular oven cleaner work just as well?