7 replies to this topic

#1 abby03

abby03

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:15 AM

This is a really stupid question but my mom and I are grilling hamburgers tonight and mine can't be grilled on the actual grill grates due to non gluten free things being made on the grill. I know the grill can be cleaned by getting it to a certain temperature for a certain amout of time but I don't want to do that tonight and I've read that you can grill it on tin foil. My question is this: Do you just put the foil on the grill and put the burger on top of it or does the burger need to be wrapped in the foil or do we need to sit it on the foil and raise the sides to make like a little boat thing? (Clearly I'm not an experienced griller lol)

If anyone could tell me the best way to do this or if this is even safe to do that would be great! thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Mizzo

Mizzo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:43 AM

FYI,

The safest way is to wrap a burger in foil and cook it like that. You can cover the grill plate and poke holes but then you have to still worry about CC from the rest of the grill.

BTW burgers in foil come out looking like grey hockey pucks, they basically steep in the foil packet, sorry. Watch them closely, don't overcook them.

good luck

#3 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:57 AM

I would personally not close the tinfoil because if completely covered by tinfoil they will steam but as the burgers contain fait I would definitely make a little boat around them. If you have a cast iron frying pan you can use that on the grill, too. That way you will get the lovely sizzle and they will brown nicely.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#4 DougE

DougE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:59 AM

You can also buy aluminum foil grilling trays at the supermarket.

#5 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:03 AM

http://www.celiac.co...7-camping-food/

You can totally enclose them in foil but they taste better with some BBQ sauce in the packet. See foil dinner suggestions in my link.

Also, what Doug said. You can also get a piece of metal to cook fish on that sits on the grill. That might work, too.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#6 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:33 AM

Replacement grates don't cost all that much. I'd just get a new one and never let anyone cook a gluten product on it.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#7 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:34 AM

Replacement grates don't cost all that much. I'd just get a new one and never let anyone cook a gluten product on it.

Exactly what I was just thinking. That is what we did, actually, and no gluten product has ever touched it. No worries about CC.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#8 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:20 PM

Or use Easy-Off Grill Cleaner on the grates (found in the section with the oven cleaners). Wal-Mart carries it. Heck, why wouldn't regular oven cleaner work just as well?
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: