15 replies to this topic

#1 lisamh76

lisamh76

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:27 AM

I am gluten intolerant and have acid reflux and esophageal spasms. I also have food allergies. I am allergic to strawberries, buleberries, shellfish and onions. I also am having reactions to corn and eggs.Right now I eat chicken for breakfast because at first it was the only thing i could eat. Now I am having tromble eating chicken it feels like it is not dijusting. I would like to have cereal for breakfast but I can not find one that is both gulten free & corn free. Does anyone know if there is any cereal that is gluten free & corn free.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mamaw

mamaw

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:14 PM

We eat Barbara's gluten free rice krispies, cream of rice cereal, cream of buckwheat, gluten-free oatmeal no corn in any of those...

#3 Diane-in-FL

Diane-in-FL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:25 PM

Rice Chex. The new apple-cinnamon flavor is very good and they also have the plain and the cinnamon.
Gluten Free since 2010

#4 1974girl

1974girl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:41 PM

We love Fruity Pebbles and Coco Pebbles. Also, I second the Chex and Rice Krispies. Although, my Publix has the gluten-free Rice Krispies on CLEARANCE. I am hoping that they are not quiting making them! I will be so sad.

#5 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:57 PM

All of those cereals that others mentioned are NOT CORN FREE. The vitamin enrichment is from corn. I am very allergic to corn and pretty much anything in the USA that is enriched is from corn.

With that said, I use Lundberg White Rice. It is unenriched from a gluten free and corn free facility. I grind it in my blender and make a hot rice cereal with it. It is similar to oatmeal. You can add anything that you want like brown sugar and fruit.

#6 SensitiveMe

SensitiveMe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:29 PM

As someone sensitive to corn the only dry cereal I can eat is one I get at a natural market which is only rice...similar to rice krispies but pretty tastless. For hot cereals try buckwheat or quinoa flakes. You have to be very careful about dry cereals...I cannot eat Rice Chex because they have Vitamin E added which is made from corn, and molasses added which unless you known the source may contain corn syrup. Brown rice syrup is also a suspect ingredient in cereals because it may contain corn syrup.

I had spasms also and erosive gastritis from corn. I suggest you visit a site called livecornfree.com to see a list of things made from corn. There are so many I could not even list them here. But to tell you quickly and from the mistakes I made I will list a few...citric acid, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Honey (bees are sometimes fed high fructose corn syrup and it can be in the honey) ferrous gluconate (this is encountered in canned black olives), Iodized salt, artificial and natural flavors, caramel coloring, lactic acid, enriched white rice (it is enriched by spraying it with a corn ingredient).

A big hug from me about having to also be cornfree as you will feel like you can't eat anything. I know there are a few others here who can't have corn also so know you are not alone. :)

#7 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:39 PM

I am gluten intolerant and have acid reflux and esophageal spasms. I also have food allergies. I am allergic to strawberries, buleberries, shellfish and onions. I also am having reactions to corn and eggs.Right now I eat chicken for breakfast because at first it was the only thing i could eat. Now I am having tromble eating chicken it feels like it is not dijusting. I would like to have cereal for breakfast but I can not find one that is both gulten free & corn free. Does anyone know if there is any cereal that is gluten free & corn free.

Enjoy Life makes a couple of cereals I like, Crunchy Rice and Crunchy Flax. Corn free, casein free, lactose free. The flax one reminds me a little of Grape Nuts, though not as hard to chew.
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

#8 SensitiveMe

SensitiveMe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:39 PM

Thanks GFreeMo for coming in to help. I was also going to suggest the original poster visit the section of the board called Other Food Intolerances and Leaky Gut Issues as there are others there who can't have corn.

#9 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:06 PM

Rice chex did me in. I thought it was CC from corn, but enriched with corn makes sense too. I just eat a banana for breakfast and top it off with ice cream.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#10 lisamh76

lisamh76

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:19 PM

All of those cereals that others mentioned are NOT CORN FREE. The vitamin enrichment is from corn. I am very allergic to corn and pretty much anything in the USA that is enriched is from corn.

With that said, I use Lundberg White Rice. It is unenriched from a gluten free and corn free facility. I grind it in my blender and make a hot rice cereal with it. It is similar to oatmeal. You can add anything that you want like brown sugar and fruit.

I am going to try the Lundberg White Rice.

#11 lisamh76

lisamh76

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:31 PM

As someone sensitive to corn the only dry cereal I can eat is one I get at a natural market which is only rice...similar to rice krispies but pretty tastless. For hot cereals try buckwheat or quinoa flakes. You have to be very careful about dry cereals...I cannot eat Rice Chex because they have Vitamin E added which is made from corn, and molasses added which unless you known the source may contain corn syrup. Brown rice syrup is also a suspect ingredient in cereals because it may contain corn syrup.

I had spasms also and erosive gastritis from corn. I suggest you visit a site called livecornfree.com to see a list of things made from corn. There are so many I could not even list them here. But to tell you quickly and from the mistakes I made I will list a few...citric acid, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Honey (bees are sometimes fed high fructose corn syrup and it can be in the honey) ferrous gluconate (this is encountered in canned black olives), Iodized salt, artificial and natural flavors, caramel coloring, lactic acid, enriched white rice (it is enriched by spraying it with a corn ingredient).

A big hug from me about having to also be cornfree as you will feel like you can't eat anything. I know there are a few others here who can't have corn also so know you are not alone. :)

Thank you for all the information. I did not know corn was in so many food items. Thank you for suggesting the site livecornfree.com it is very helpful.

#12 GFreeMO

GFreeMO

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:56 PM

I am going to try the Lundberg White Rice.

I couldn't find the white in my area so I ordered it from Amazon.

I grind about half a bag at a time in the blender. Dry. Then I just make the ground up rice in a pot. I usually use 2 1/2 cups of water and 1/3 cup of the ground rice. This feeds 2 people or can be saved for later. I add C&H brown sugar and some fruit. I really like it.

#13 lisamh76

lisamh76

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:07 PM

Rice chex did me in. I thought it was CC from corn, but enriched with corn makes sense too. I just eat a banana for breakfast and top it off with ice cream.

I can't eat Rice Chex. I got sick when I eat them.

#14 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:20 PM

I can't eat Rice Chex. I got sick when I eat them.

Lisamh, are you new to the diet after a diagnosis or have you been gluten free for some time?

I ask this because if you have just started the diet and have yet to heal your gut, or your intestines due to Celiac, dairy is a large issue at that point. Your issue may not be the Chex, rather the dairy.

If, in fact you have intestinal damage, all foods may be an issue until some healing can take place.

But, I don't know too much about your history. If you have addressed this previously, I apologize. :)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#15 lisamh76

lisamh76

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:32 PM

Lisamh, are you new to the diet after a diagnosis or have you been gluten free for some time?

I ask this because if you have just started the diet and have yet to heal your gut, or your intestines due to Celiac, dairy is a large issue at that point. Your issue may not be the Chex, rather the dairy.

If, in fact you have intestinal damage, all foods may be an issue until some healing can take place.

But, I don't know too much about your history. If you have addressed this previously, I apologize. :)

I am new to this diet. I started it May 2 after the GI doctor put me on it. I had an Endoscopy a year ago. The test result was negative for Celiac. I also had a test for wheat but that was negative. The Endoscopy was not to tast for Celiaac. It was done because 2 years ago I went into Anaphylaxis while taken Prednisone. My stomach swelled up so bad that it pushed up into my esophagus my esophagus swelled up so bad that it pushed up into my throat. I had troble breathing and went to the emergency room. After the Anaphylaxis my acid reflex has been bad and I have nerv damage in my back and I also have a muscle in my throat does not open and close right when I eat. I have to eat slow and take small bites. Every time I eat something with wheat I have troble digesting it. The gluten free diet is hard foe me because I hate to try new things because I am scear I could have a reaction to something.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: