2 replies to this topic

#1 otnemem

otnemem

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 08:16 AM

Here's a question that's similar to a lot that I've seen here, but a little different. I was diagnosed about a month ago and have been attempting the gluten-free diet ever since. The gas and bloating that I experienced so often subsided pretty quickly, while the D continued. Then, slowly, the D got better and I was spending less time in the bathroom. But still, every five days or so, I have bad bouts, but with no other symptoms (maybe a little accompanying gas, but not like before going gluten-free). So does it sound like I'm being glutened on the weekends, or is this normal recovery (periods of feeling okay followed by short periods of not).

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nikki-uk

nikki-uk

Out running.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 08:58 AM

First of all alot of coeliacs discover that they have a lactose intolerance when they go gluten-free.Have you had food at the weekend with alot of milk?
Other food intolerances tend to become more apparent when you go gluten-free.

Are you eating out at the weekends?It's always easier to get 'glutened' when eating out.

Lastly,it can take quite a while for the bowel to heal and recover,longer than it took for the damage to get there.
My husband was diagnosed with celiac disease a year ago-and he's still recovering.Much better than he was-but still has attacks of the big 'D'.
Everyone's different,but if there's alot of damage it will take to time.
Good luck,hope you work it out.
P.S I nearly forgot,try and keep a food diary,so when you get ill you can examine what you've eaten ;)
It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

Posted Image

#3 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 09:29 AM

Here's a question that's similar to a lot that I've seen here, but a little different. I was diagnosed about a month ago and have been attempting the gluten-free diet ever since. The gas and bloating that I experienced so often subsided pretty quickly, while the D continued. Then, slowly, the D got better and I was spending less time in the bathroom. But still, every five days or so, I have bad bouts, but with no other symptoms (maybe a little accompanying gas, but not like before going gluten-free). So does it sound like I'm being glutened on the weekends, or is this normal recovery (periods of feeling okay followed by short periods of not).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you been 100% gluten free including changing makeups, shampoos, soaps, lotions, etc?
Also, some people take longer to heal. I did not see a big difference until the 3rd month but was not back to normal until the 8th month. Some people see their symptoms go away quicker and some slower and then some do not even get symptoms.

I noticed you said attempting to be gluten free. That doesn't cut it though...it's an all or nothing thing. Even if you are getting a little bit it will still cause damage. Even accidental ingestions of gluten as frequent as once a month is just like not following the diet at all because the intestines do not heal.
You just really need to get rid of all the gluten that can get into you through any way, shape, or form.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: