This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does This Look Like Eczema To You?

dani nero

dani nero Community Regular

I managed to make my mom let me take photos of her knee.. She has one on each knee and they itch her like madness. I didn't see any signs of blisters.. so don't know if it can be DH, but I saw pics of eczema and they look a little more like this one. Can eczema also be symmetrical like DH? Can this be a sign of gluten intolerance?

http://rainytown.se/images/external/20120621_130325.webp

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran

I don't know. It could be eczema, it could be dh. I just did some checking on eczema & nothing I read said it presents symmetrical. But ppl with gluten intolerance as well as celiac ARE known to have skin conditions such as eczema & psoriasis as well as dh. Do they burn sometimes as well as itch? Does the itching get worse at night or late afternoon?

squirmingitch Veteran

I would like to add that I did not do an in depth study of eczema so the symmetrical part is not an absolute given as to it does or it doesn't --- I just didn't see anything saying it does.

Now, here's a thought...... I have never heard or read that any skin condition responds to withdrawal of iodine EXCEPT dh. And there have been some on here with dh who find their dh does not respond to iodine withdrawal. Having said all that more report relief & healing with low iodine than those who don't. Soooooo, (yeah, I know --- good luck with THAT! ;-) IF you could get your mom to go low iodine for a week even & see how it reacts. You follow my train of thought? We know from our experiences that dh responds quickly to low iodine.

I would like to add that I did not do an in depth study of eczema so the symmetrical part is not an absolute given as to it does or it doesn't --- I just didn't see anything saying it does.

Now, here's a thought...... I have never heard or read that any skin condition responds to withdrawal of iodine EXCEPT dh. And there have been some on here with dh who find their dh does not respond to iodine withdrawal. Having said all that more report relief & healing with low iodine than those who don't. Soooooo, (yeah, I know --- good luck with THAT! ;-) IF you could get your mom to go low iodine for a week even & see how it reacts. You follow my train of thought? We know from our experiences that dh responds quickly to low iodine.

Thanks for brainstorming with me :-) I never read anything about eczema being symmetrical either but just wanted to check.

Sadly, there's no way on earth she'll go low iodine. My parents are in complete and utter denial to no end with body issues being linked to food ;-(

Guess I'll never know.

I'll ask her about the itch when my dad isn't listening. Don't want him butting in :-P

jerseyangel Proficient

It looks like eczema to me--I have it and mine looks like that when it's itchy.

I use cortisone cream--at my doctor's suggestion. Unfortunately none of my diet changes have permanently gotten rid of the eczema.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Thanks for brainstorming with me :-) I never read anything about eczema being symmetrical either but just wanted to check.

Sadly, there's no way on earth she'll go low iodine. My parents are in complete and utter denial to no end with body issues being linked to food ;-(

Guess I'll never know.

I'll ask her about the itch when my dad isn't listening. Don't want him butting in :-P

Is she gluten free? If not avoiding iodine will do no good. Not everyone with DH will have to do a strict low iodine diet. I simply cut out iodized salt and I healed fairly quickly. I didn't cut any other foods other than gluten.

squirmingitch Veteran

Is she gluten free? If not avoiding iodine will do no good. Not everyone with DH will have to do a strict low iodine diet. I simply cut out iodized salt and I healed fairly quickly. I didn't cut any other foods other than gluten.

Thanks Ravenwoodglass. What the HECK was I thinking?????? Yes, of course --- unless she's gluten-free then going li will do no good. I think there must still be some traces of gluten rattling around in my brain.laugh.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

It looks like eczema to me--I have it and mine looks like that when it's itchy.

I use cortisone cream--at my doctor's suggestion. Unfortunately none of my diet changes have permanently gotten rid of the eczema.

Thanks Patti! Can you tell me more about your rash? Does it get worse when you're angry or stressed, when does it itch, and did going gluten-free make a big or small difference? Also are you self or formally diagnosed?

Thanks Ravenwoodglass. What the HECK was I thinking?????? Yes, of course --- unless she's gluten-free then going li will do no good. I think there must still be some traces of gluten rattling around in my brain.laugh.gif

:lol:

jerseyangel Proficient

Thanks Patti! Can you tell me more about your rash? Does it get worse when you're angry or stressed, when does it itch, and did going gluten-free make a big or small difference? Also are you self or formally diagnosed?

Hi Dani, I am formally diagnosed since 2005. My eczema (left eyelid, right ear) began several years before. Going gluten-free helped for a while, and when I went legume free it cleared up for quite a while only to reappear a couple years later.

It is hard to say what triggers the itch--it waxes and wanes but the key I've found is keeping the area moisturized. When it's very itchy and red like your pic, that's when I use the hydro cortisone cream. There is also a prescription steroid cream that is effective but personally the over the counter cream works just as well.

Hi Dani, I am formally diagnosed since 2005. My eczema (left eyelid, right ear) began several years before. Going gluten-free helped for a while, and when I went legume free it cleared up for quite a while only to reappear a couple years later.

It is hard to say what triggers the itch--it waxes and wanes but the key I've found is keeping the area moisturized. When it's very itchy and red like your pic, that's when I use the hydro cortisone cream. There is also a prescription steroid cream that is effective but personally the over the counter cream works just as well.

Thanks for your input Patti, was very helpful :-)

Archived