#1 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:52 AM

Hi everyone.

Here's a question which I hope is relatively simple to answer. When a recipe calls for a cup of flour, and it says "firm", we know to press it down into the measuring cup, right? But, suppose the recipe says "packed"? Is that the same thing, or would that be different in some way? Or is "packed" never used except when measuring brown sugar?
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:18 AM

Hi everyone.

Here's a question which I hope is relatively simple to answer. When a recipe calls for a cup of flour, and it says "firm", we know to press it down into the measuring cup, right? But, suppose the recipe says "packed"? Is that the same thing, or would that be different in some way? Or is "packed" never used except when measuring brown sugar?

I don't think I've ever seen a recipe call for tamping down the flour. I'd guess it's the same thing.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#3 ciamarie

ciamarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:31 PM

I've never seen 'packed' for anything except brown sugar.
Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

#4 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:59 PM

It's not as though flour is easy to pack into a cup! It's too light. That is an odd term to use for flour but I would take it as pouring or dipping into the cup as opposed to spooning it in (the yield actually is different due to the aeration).
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#5 auzzi

auzzi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:16 PM

This gives you the idea

"Packing" means tamping it down ..Packed is used mostly with brown sugar, and ocassionally with powdered sugar.
Weighing it is easier and more accurate ....

#6 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:40 AM

Thanks for your responses. I've seen "firm" specified for flour in a recipe or two. Any thoughts on that?

Some types of flour seem to be able to pack down more than others. I find the starches can do that to a greater degree than most regular flours. Some don't pack down much if at all, like teff flour for example. There also seems to be a difference depending upon the grind.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#7 ciamarie

ciamarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:50 PM

What comes to mind for me, in regard to seeing 'firm' for a flour measurement, would be that one should use that amount and that amount only. Don't eye-ball it, etc. But I can't recall seeing that being used in a recipe... of course now I may start seeing it all the time. :)
Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

#8 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:20 AM

What comes to mind for me, in regard to seeing 'firm' for a flour measurement, would be that one should use that amount and that amount only. Don't eye-ball it, etc. But I can't recall seeing that being used in a recipe... of course now I may start seeing it all the time. :)

That was also my first thought, but then why would a recipe author anticipate that someone would tweak the amounts?

#9 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:00 AM

That was also my first thought, but then why would a recipe author anticipate that someone would tweak the amounts?

It may just be this person's verbiage. Everyone writes differently, cooks are no exception.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: