This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Heat Rash

Gunkle

Gunkle Newbie

I'm a 47 year old female - the last 10 years or so I have been breaking out in a heat rash. It can occur when I am out in the sun or when I am just hot. I was tested for yeast a few years ago, but they didn't find anything...and I guess the doc got bored trying to figure this out.

So one of the other things that happens to me is that every single day I feel like i am running a fever, but if I take my temperature, I do not have a fever. When I feel like I have a fever my eyes hurt, I have a headache, I feel tired and weak, kind of like i have a sore throat, and very thirsty. Everyday of my adult life. I thought I was just crazy so I never brought it up to the doc. So I started researching heat rash and the "feeling hot" thing, and one thing that was mentioned on both topics was the possibility of Celiac Disease. Yesterday is the first time I ever heard of this.

I really don't know what to do or where to start, but at this point, the heat rash is so painful and the hot feeling is uncomfortable, it is just making life miserable.

I was wondering if you might give me some guidance on what I should do next and what you think of my rash. Honestly, I think I might be relieved if this turned out to be Celiac if I knew what to do to stop the breakouts and make me stop feeling hot.

th_photo1-1.webp

th_photo2-1.webp

Thank you so much!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

1desperateladysaved Proficient

[

Oh, I hope you get to the bottom of it. Get well soon.

Diana

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Have you seen a derm? I think those are kind of unusual places for a heat rash. I wonder if you could be sensitive to either the sun or maybe sunblock (if you use it)

Hopefully a derm will know what is going on as it does look quite uncomfortable. Maybe cold compresses could help a bit or others will have some insight.

Teri Lou Apprentice

I have lupus and get that sort of a heat rash when exposed to the sun. Have you noticed any sort of photosensitivity? I would recommend getting tested for both lupus and Celiacs, and possibly other autoimmune diseases as in my own experience there is a lot of overlap. Good luck! Rashes like that are so not fun!

squirmingitch Veteran

Oh my! That does look painful!

I couldn't help but notice strap lines in the one of your shoulders/breast bone. There is no rash in the strap lines. Which would indicate sun exposure is the problem. Some ppl are allergic to sun exposure. That doesn't explain why you get it when you get hot but there certainly looks to be some connection to the sun.

Gunkle Newbie

Thank you all so much for your replies.

I have been to a dermatologist. I was tested for yeast - no go there. They also prescribed other types of allergy meds..no help there, either.

Lupus and thyroid probs were my next guess, so thank you for that info. (I had to look up what photo sensitivity is...i had heard of it but really didn't know.) Other than this rash, I haven't really noticed a problem with the sun...but I don't know if it matters, but in the last few months I noticed my eyes on very rare occasions seemed overly sensitive to the sun. Probably just tired, but who knows.

Regarding the sun, I typically might be outside swimming - and about 2 days later the rash will appear. I can minimize the extent of how bad the rash will be if I put hydrocortizone on it right after sun exposure...but excessive use is bad for the skin....so I use that minimally.

Sometimes I get really hot while I am sleeping and notice that brings on the rash.

And yesterday and today, I've had that "feverish" feeling most of the day (but had NO fever), but I started itching like crazy all over my body (allergies, I think)...and when I got home from work I noticed the breakout is starting...and I think that is directly related to how hot my body felt.

Anyway, I am gonna schedule a physical and inquire about lupus, thyroid, and celiac... Maybe it is just sun sensitivity - I just haven't wanted to admit it.

squirmingitch Veteran

I had thought about lupus also. I have a friend with it but I have never actually seen the rash. She goes snorkeling fully clothed & has to be VERY careful about sun exposure.

I'm glad Teri Lou chimed in. Having lupus she ought to know.

Let us know what happens.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Marilyn R Community Regular

Hi Gunkie, and welcome to the forum!

TY squirmingitch for alerting me to Gunkie's post. Reminds me of Tonto, you're a good heart babe. :D xxx

Your rash looks like Lupus to me, I looked at your photo's closely, but I'm not a doctor. I used to call it my road map rash, or Atlas rash.

You said you didn't know what to do.

Here's what I suggest in order of priority.

1. Take sun precautions. Apply sunscreen containing Titanium dioxide and/or Zinc oxide every two hours when you're in the sun. (That's what my new improved derm recommended.) Buy a good hat with SPF that fits you well. Get SunGuard laundry additive but do read all the precautions and instructions (it takes your clothing from SPF 5 to 30 plus for 20 washes.)

2. Establish with a new derm.

3. If you're established with a doctor, tell him or her you want the celiac panel ordered. If you've been with them awhile, that may just involve a phone call, vs. an office visit.

Even if you don't have Lupus, taking sun protection is worthwhile.

You can start that all in one day even if you're exhasted and feel like crap. It's two phone calls, a visit to WalGreens (Vaniceam SPF 60 is safe) or Wal-Mart has a good store brand. If you want more info on sunscreen, feel free to send me a message.

Coolibar dot com is a good place for sun protection clothing. I shop their sales

benXX Rookie

Regarding the sun, I typically might be outside swimming - and about 2 days later the rash will appear. I can minimize the extent of how bad the rash will be if I put hydrocortizone on it right after sun exposure...but excessive use is bad for the skin....so I use that minimally.

Sometimes I get really hot while I am sleeping and notice that brings on the rash.

A looks a bit like seborrheic dermatitis, something that gets worse when warm and humid.

I've had that for over 40 years on my chest and back, but disappeared when I went gluten-free.

Had to use Ketoconazol-creme daily all those years to keep it under control.

When it is hot and humid, I put on baby powder to prevent it from becoming worse. Really helps.

But it also looks like a sun allergy. Hard to tell the difference from a picture.

I'm inclined to think it's this one. Use a real good waterproof sun-blocker when you go swimming.

Baby powder will help some against the itch.

squirmingitch Veteran

Hi Gunkie, and welcome to the forum!

TY squirmingitch for alerting me to Gunkie's post. Reminds me of Tonto, you're a good heart babe. :D xxx

Your rash looks like Lupus to me, I looked at your photo's closely, but I'm not a doctor. I used to call it my road map rash, or Atlas rash.

You said you didn't know what to do.

Here's what I suggest in order of priority.

1. Take sun precautions. Apply sunscreen containing Titanium dioxide and/or Zinc oxide every two hours when you're in the sun. (That's what my new improved derm recommended.) Buy a good hat with SPF that fits you well. Get SunGuard laundry additive but do read all the precautions and instructions (it takes your clothing from SPF 5 to 30 plus for 20 washes.)

2. Establish with a new derm.

3. If you're established with a doctor, tell him or her you want the celiac panel ordered. If you've been with them awhile, that may just involve a phone call, vs. an office visit.

Even if you don't have Lupus, taking sun protection is worthwhile.

You can start that all in one day even if you're exhasted and feel like crap. It's two phone calls, a visit to WalGreens (Vaniceam SPF 60 is safe) or Wal-Mart has a good store brand. If you want more info on sunscreen, feel free to send me a message.

Coolibar dot com is a good place for sun protection clothing. I shop their sales

At your service Keemosabe.biggrin.gif

Gunkie, Marilyn forgot to tell you she has lupus so she knows what she's talking about too.

And what little I know about Lupus, drinking alcohol is very, very BAD for it. Makes you feel like crap!

Gunkle Newbie

Wow! So much good info! No worries - I am not overwhelmed, just grateful for the information. I'll get my doc appt scheduled - I need to get a physical anyway, and I'll just ask for some other screenings.

And who knew there was such a thing as a laundry additive that gives your clothes SPF?!?!?!?! Wow!

Marilyn R Community Regular

At your service Keemosabe.biggrin.gif

Gunkie, Marilyn forgot to tell you she has lupus so she knows what she's talking about too.

And what little I know about Lupus, drinking alcohol is very, very BAD for it. Makes you feel like crap!

I must say the best thing that happened to me was being called Keemosabe! They say laughter is the best medicine...

This is the best site for more info IMHO: Open Original Shared Link just in case you're interested.

Speaking of old tv shows, one of the female stars of "The Walton's" (Mary Ellen) has Lupus and is gluten-free.

I'm trying to figure out a new laptop, and appeared to have screwed up my font size. Put yer peepers on!

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Do you take any medications on a regular basis?

Many medications can cause photosensitivity.

Salicylates caused me to have severe photosensitivity complete with rashes.

I took Ibuprofen all the time for "Fibromyalgia" and migraine headaches.

I constantly had fatigue and flu-like symptoms.

Repeatedly tested negative for Lupus, BUT after googling Salicylate sensitivity, I realized I could be reacting to all the Ibuprofen I consumed.

However, eliminating salicylates only cured half of my problems.

Six months later I learned the other half of my problem was Celiac.

Complete with rash. This type of rash was Dermatitis Herpetiformis.

Gluten can cause many types of rashes too.

But it is worth noting that if it is DH it would be possible to biopsy it.

Are you eliminating gluten to see if that might be it?

Do get tested for Lupus, but if that is not it, then consider gluten, salicylates, and or medications.

One in a hundred are sensitive to salicylates. It can cause rashes too.

Open Original Shared Link

Not trying to diagnose you or confuse your situation. Just thought I would mention these things. Really wish you well in figuring this out.

squirmingitch Veteran

I'm glad I could give you a laugh Marilyn. Laughter really is the best medicine.

Gunkie, I do want to caution you about going gluten free BEFORE you get any celiac testing done. DO NOT go gluten free OR gluten light. Not until ALL testing is done including an endoscopy OR a biopsy for dh (Dermatitis Herpetiformis). You must be eating gluten for all the tests. Just so you know.....

And have you tried ice packs for the rash?

Gunkle Newbie

I'm glad I could give you a laugh Marilyn. Laughter really is the best medicine.

Gunkie, I do want to caution you about going gluten free BEFORE you get any celiac testing done. DO NOT go gluten free OR gluten light. Not until ALL testing is done including an endoscopy OR a biopsy for dh (Dermatitis Herpetiformis). You must be eating gluten for all the tests. Just so you know.....

And have you tried ice packs for the rash?

Thanks for the caution about not going Gluten Free - I don't want to have to give up anything yummy before I have to! :D

I have tried ice packs after the breakout - it does help cool me down.

I'm about to run to Walgreens to get the Vanicream. Kind of excited.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Walgreens Pain Relieving Ointment works too.

It is 20% Benzocaine.

Saved my life many a night.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
Gunkle Newbie

Hi - Just wanted to update: I had blood work done and they said I had elevated ANA - so they are sending me to a Rheumatologist. Hopefully, this will turn out to be nothing, but at least I got started.

squirmingitch Veteran

Well, like you say -- at least you got started. Good.

Keep us posted.smile.gif

• 3 years later...
Alex Luigi Newbie

Hi there peeps,

I have had quite a similar issue for over 10 years. When the itch and rashes first started the symptoms were mild and usually they were triggered by sun. It was extremely rare and only during the summer. With time, things have changed. Not only the sun was the "culprit" but also stress, workout and most recently humidity. The disease evolved and I now see that I have most of the symptoms described here as well as in other forums. Please note that I have never really treated this disease, as in my country doctors tend to give you prescriptions without prior investigation and tests, which I am totally against. I don't like doctors testing stuff on my skin without prior investigation. Once I made an exception. I used a solution and it was much better, but of course, the cure was only temporary, so I passed.

Two days ago I stopped eating gluten based foods and do note that I am a person who eats bread on a daily basis, sometimes in high amounts. I too was blaming heat, but a few days ago was cold and the same thing happened. According to the local forecast, the humidity was 93% or 97% something like that.

PS: To top it off, I could have a form of ADD as well.

Hopefully I have discovered the root of all those annoying problems!

Archived