13 replies to this topic

#1 Marie1976

Marie1976

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:10 PM

why is it so hard to find current info on meds? grrrr. just thought i'd share something from the theraflu site. under the powders section it had a faq and one said does this have gluten?

"Yes. This product contains a trace amount of gluten (<10.0 parts per million)."

Of course their other products did not even have a faq so i could check if those were safe.

I guess I'll be coughing all night again for the third night in a row. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:15 PM

why is it so hard to find current info on meds? grrrr. just thought i'd share something from the theraflu site. under the powders section it had a faq and one said does this have gluten?

"Yes. This product contains a trace amount of gluten (<10.0 parts per million)."

Of course their other products did not even have a faq so i could check if those were safe.

I guess I'll be coughing all night again for the third night in a row. :(

I sent you this link on your other thread:

Check here: (and scroll down)

http://www.glutenfreedrugs.com/

Hope you feel better soon. :)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 Marie1976

Marie1976

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:18 PM

I sent you this link on your other thread:

Check here: (and scroll down)

http://www.glutenfreedrugs.com/

Hope you feel better soon. :)

Thanks!

#4 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:20 PM

Thanks!

Have you tried honey lemon tea? It's been proven in some small studies that honey is more effective than any cough medicine. You could just have a spoonful of honey. I also like cherry bark extract/tincture, works really good on me, every time. I have to usually get the kid one because the regular one has grain alcohol. Tastes good, too!
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#5 Marie1976

Marie1976

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:13 PM

Have you tried honey lemon tea? It's been proven in some small studies that honey is more effective than any cough medicine. You could just have a spoonful of honey. I also like cherry bark extract/tincture, works really good on me, every time. I have to usually get the kid one because the regular one has grain alcohol. Tastes good, too!

Thanks for the suggestions! Hubby found me a cough syrup made by Vicks called Nature Fusion, at Rite Aid. It actually says gluten free on the label. Amazing! Just took some so we'll see if it does its job...

#6 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:33 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! Hubby found me a cough syrup made by Vicks called Nature Fusion, at Rite Aid. It actually says gluten free on the label. Amazing! Just took some so we'll see if it does its job...

How ya doin, Marie?
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#7 lucky97

lucky97

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:21 AM

I guess I'll be coughing all night again for the third night in a row. Posted Image

But the new proposed standard is <20 ppm. So would one not consider Theraflu safe then???

#8 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:25 AM

But the new proposed standard is <20 ppm. So would one not consider Theraflu safe then???

Some people are more sensitive than that. I live by the rule that no amount of gluten is ever safe. I will not knowingly ingest gluten, on purpose, no matter how small the amount. I have gotten extremely sick from "gluten free" products that are below 20 ppm in the past so clearly I am someone who can not live by that proposed standard. It isn't simply because I got sick though, it made me rethink the whole philosophy of it. Because of how potentially dangerous it is to us, no amount of gluten is ever okay, period. Why the hell should we knowingly risk a product with gluten when we are already sick when there are perfectly good products on the market that are gluten free?

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#9 notkuroda

notkuroda

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:44 AM

Some people are more sensitive than that. I live by the rule that no amount of gluten is ever safe. I will not knowingly ingest gluten, on purpose, no matter how small the amount. I have gotten extremely sick from "gluten free" products that are below 20 ppm in the past so clearly I am someone who can not live by that proposed standard. It isn't simply because I got sick though, it made me rethink the whole philosophy of it. Because of how potentially dangerous it is to us, no amount of gluten is ever okay, period. Why the hell should we knowingly risk a product with gluten when we are already sick when there are perfectly good products on the market that are gluten free?

this makes me furious. I believe the standard in Ireland, where Celiac is RAMPANT, is 2 ppm. What the FDA is proposing is really not acceptable

#10 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,003 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:39 AM

I believe the standard in Ireland, where Celiac is RAMPANT, is 2 ppm.

Ireland follows European rules. "Gluten-free" is <20 ppm. Read more here.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#11 notkuroda

notkuroda

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

Ireland follows European rules. "Gluten-free" is <20 ppm. Read more here.

learn something new every day, thanks!

#12 lucky97

lucky97

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

But if something is labeled "gluten free," and there are things labeled gluten free here in the the USA (I will assume <200 ppm) and those are the preferred products, how will you know? That just means they're <200 ppm. Unless you are referring to a cave man/whole food diet perhaps.

#13 lucky97

lucky97

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

But if something is labeled "gluten free," and there are things labeled gluten free here in the the USA (I will assume <200 ppm) AND those are the preferred products, how will you know? That just means they're <200 ppm. Unless you are referring to a cave man/whole food diet perhaps.

I state this is reference to the earlier post that notes Theraflu was stated to have <10.0 ppm of gluten, well below the current USA standard for "gluten free" which is what we're eating. Does anyone see what I'm trying to say? It would seem to reason Theraflu is as or "more gluten free" than the standard gluten free products we're eating now. Thus safe for Celiacs.

The question is: Do celiacs use Theraflu?

#14 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,003 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

I state this is reference to the earlier post that notes Theraflu was stated to have <10.0 ppm of gluten, well below the current USA standard for "gluten free" which is what we're eating. Does anyone see what I'm trying to say? It would seem to reason Theraflu is as or "more gluten free" than the standard gluten free products we're eating now. Thus safe for Celiacs.

The question is: Do celiacs use Theraflu?

I do not personally use the product, for lack of need, but if I had a need I would probably use it.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: