Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Products For Curly Hair

18 posts in this topic

I am looking for advice on gluten free hair products, specifically for curly hair. All my hair products currently contain gluten. I don't ingest them but I am worried about cross-contamination from touching my hair and then eating something with my hands. Although I wash my hands a lot to try to avoid this, I am rethinking this process and it seems it would just be easier to switch hair products, except that I love my hair products. Any comments or suggestions? Any celiacs out there who knowingly use hair products that contain gluten?

Ads by Google:

I am looking for advice on gluten free hair products, specifically for curly hair. All my hair products currently contain gluten. I don't ingest them but I am worried about cross-contamination from touching my hair and then eating something with my hands. Although I wash my hands a lot to try to avoid this, I am rethinking this process and it seems it would just be easier to switch hair products, except that I love my hair products. Any comments or suggestions? Any celiacs out there who knowingly use hair products that contain gluten?

I like my Everyday Shea products. They have a large bottle with a pump and it is lasting well. My hair is improving. I use the conditioner for my daughters African American hair and it helps to keep her dry hair moisterized. They are labled gluten free. I bought it without knowing before I went gluten free. I was sure glad that I could keep using it. I buy it at my local food coop.

I have very frizzy curly hair. It can look like a big afro friz, or I can make it into ringlets with the right products. I was worried about hair products too. I started using my hand lotion in my hair. After all, it looked a lot like those hair products. I apply it to wet hair and it's been working well, and that's one less product to worry about.

I have curly hair down to my waist. I use the Suave Naturals line of shampoo and conditioner. It's all gluten free. Then I follow it up with Original Sprout Leave in Detangler and Conditioner. The Original Sprout line is all gluten free too.

I have naturally curly hair which I also color B)

I love the Wen cleansing conditioners--the Pomegranate, Six Thirteen, and the seasonal varieties are gluten-free. The others are not.

From the drugstore, I like Garnier Fortifying Color Shield shampoo and conditioner (red bottles). LA Looks Cashmere Curl Gel is very good, too.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions so far. I was using Redken's Fresh curls line and more recently got into Devacurl line. My hair is larger curls but can frizz some. I am looking to stay with products that are silicone free.

If anyone is still using products with wheat and not having a problem I would love to hear from you as well.

Check out Original Sprout. It's free of silicone and ORIGINAL SPROUT PRODUCTS ARE BIODEGRADABLE, 100% VEGETARIAN (VEGAN), FREE OF PHYTOESTROGENS, SOY, PARABENS, GLUTEN, DIXOANES FROM SULFATES, PHTHALATES & FORMALDEHYDE.

They have several ones to choose from.

Check out Original Sprout. It's free of silicone and ORIGINAL SPROUT PRODUCTS ARE BIODEGRADABLE, 100% VEGETARIAN (VEGAN), FREE OF PHYTOESTROGENS, SOY, PARABENS, GLUTEN, DIXOANES FROM SULFATES, PHTHALATES & FORMALDEHYDE.

Thank you. I looked them up online and I will look for them at Whole Foods.

I am so glad to find this! I had fallen in love with Mixed Chicks products and couldn't figure out why my head kept itching. Finally read the label on the leave in conditioner and it had wheat listed. I haven't found anything I love since then. I will have to try these out!

Looked these up and the products look great. Can you tell me what they smell like?

I use the kinky curly products - I buy them at Whole Foods. I use the shampoo every other day, and the conditioner every day. I use the custard (gel) to style everyday - apply before I get out of the shower while my hair is soaking wet - then wrap in an old tshirt (less friction than a towel). I used to use DivaCurl, but my head was breaking out constantly (finally saw the wheat ingredient). Since I've started using the kinky curly products, my hair looks great!! They smell good too - but just like any products, you might have to go through some trial and error before you find the amount that works best for you.

Looked these up and the products look great. Can you tell me what they smell like?

They smell great! They don't smell like a health food store at all. They just smell like regular hair products but not heavily scented at all...just a nice and light, clean scent.

I use the kinky curly products - I buy them at Whole Foods. I use the shampoo every other day, and the conditioner every day. I use the custard (gel) to style everyday - apply before I get out of the shower while my hair is soaking wet - then wrap in an old tshirt (less friction than a towel). I used to use DivaCurl, but my head was breaking out constantly (finally saw the wheat ingredient). Since I've started using the kinky curly products, my hair looks great!! They smell good too - but just like any products, you might have to go through some trial and error before you find the amount that works best for you.

I found this line at the Wholefoods near my house and love it! I just tried the Kinky Curly custard which makes my curls look great. Thanks for the tip.

GfreeMO-- The Original Sprout Products look great but having a harder time finding them. Thanks for the tip!

During this process of searching I also have found a line called Beautiful Curls that make my hair feel really soft. They are also sold at WholeFoods. I think they may be related somehow to Everyday Shea,not sure but somehow found them through the Everyday Shea website.

I appreciate everyone's tips! As we all know, it's nice to have a little variety with curly hair, never sure what will work best in different weather conditions.

I use Beautiful Curls on my daughter's hair. We like it, as do our friends who use it on their curly haired daughter.

I have wavy hair and am looking for good gluten free products to use. I currently use Fruitis Garnier's Triple Nutrition shampoo and conditioner and curl scrunch gel and the sleek and shine hair spray. It works fine but I having some reaction to something.

Any recommendations for good gluten free hair products?

If anyone has any new info on Devacurl or (for those days when I go straight) Dribar products, I"d appreciate it!

Posted (edited)

My hair dresser recommended Scruples Twisted hair gel to enhanse my naturally wavvy/ curly hair.  I'm very senstitive to products with any gluten and dairy in them.  I have not reacted to this product.  I apply it to my hair and gently scrunch with my hands, after using a microfiber towel to take out most of the water.  According to the product website, they are all gluten-free.  They are reasonably priced as a little product goes a long way.  

http://www.scrupleshaircare.com/pearl_classic_collection.aspx 

Cleure's products are gluten-free, df and free of preservatives.  I use most of their line without allergy complications.  They are only availble through their website.  Products are reasonably priced.  Do sign-up and get a 20% off coupon.  http://www.cleure.com

I did some online research on DevaCurl after a friend recommended it to me.  Every product I looked at the ingredients listed hops/ wheat protein.

Edited by CaliMaman

On June 22, 2012 at 1:27 PM, NJceliac said:

I appreciate everyone's suggestions so far. I was using Redken's Fresh curls line and more recently got into Devacurl line. My hair is larger curls but can frizz some. I am looking to stay with products that are silicone free.

If anyone is still using products with wheat and not having a problem I would love to hear from you as well.

I've continued to use Redken on my curly hair without a problem, and I just had my numbers checked and they're perfect.  I do try to keep my hands out of my hair and wash them if I'm brushing it.