11 replies to this topic

#1 jmrogers31

jmrogers31

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:22 AM

In the research I have done about Celiac Disease it seems that it affects people of Northern European decent more frequently than others but not exclusively. My Dad's side of the family is Swedish and my Mom's side is Irish and they are both northern European countries. I have had genetic testing and it came back with HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,8) which seems to be the main genes associated with Celiac and said both my parents passed the gene to me so I have two copies of each. My question is that do most of you have northern European ancestry or is that kind of a myth. Most of my wife's ancestors are from the Czech Republic which isn't as far north and she has no issues. So, Celiacs what is your ancestry? Are most of you from northern Europe or is that kind of a myth. I am curious to see where these genes come from.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,240 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:38 AM

You might find this older thread interesting:

http://www.celiac.co...e-your-culture/

They way people come & go on here, you should get some new entries.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 jmrogers31

jmrogers31

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:01 AM

Thanks Karen. I have been on this site for a year but missed this one. I thought it wasn an interesting thought, but I guess with all the forums and all the people on this site it doesn't surprise me this has been covered already. It's like an episode of South Park where every idea that they came up with has already been done on the Simpsons because after hundreds of episodes of the Simpsons almost everything has been covered.

#4 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,240 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:06 AM

Thanks Karen. I have been on this site for a year but missed this one. I thought it wasn an interesting thought, but I guess with all the forums and all the people on this site it doesn't surprise me this has been covered already. It's like an episode of South Park where every idea that they came up with has already been done on the Simpsons because after hundreds of episodes of the Simpsons almost everything has been covered.

But this place can be a revolving door. Maybe some who didn't post preciously would like to add on?

I saw something that said that the biggest group of Celiacs are from North African descent. It was a reputable source but, I can't find it again! Not sure even what they were counting as N. African descent.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#5 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:51 PM

I've heard that same thing about Northern European descent. it seems supported by that like kareng provided. Interesting...

I'm Canadian with a German and Ukranian/Polish background. My family all came over in the early 1900's. I haven't had genetic testing done but there is celiac on the Ukranian/Polish side of the family.

Nicole S
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 mbrookes

mbrookes

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:03 PM

Scotch/Irish on both sides.don't know of anyone else that has Celiac in my family, but I strongly suspect that my Mom did from symptoms I remember.

#7 Victoria6102

Victoria6102

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:26 PM

I'm French, Italian, greek, and Scandinavian. I have heard from many people and sources that its most common in Europeans!

#8 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:06 PM

German/Irish here. Family history suggests my ancestors moved from somewhere in Scandinavia to Germany before coming to America although we haven't been able to confirm that for certain.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#9 nora_n

nora_n

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:27 AM

Recently they discovered that in parts of northern Aftica, up to 7-8% have celiac, and in the mediterranian countries 1% or more, and in India and Iran also.

Just that they do not get tested because doctors only suspect celiac with northern Europeans.

By the way, there is much celiac in Austria, which is not northern european.
gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.
daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.
non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5
Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet
Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

#10 MitziG

MitziG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:46 AM

Scottish and Irish on my mom's side (she also has Celiac) English and Native American on Dad's side (he probably has celiac, at least is gluten intolerant- never tested)

#11 jmrogers31

jmrogers31

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:49 AM

Interesting to see everything from Native American to Northern Africa to Ukraine. I guess by this time most of us have had a variety of different nationalities mixed into our genes.

#12 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:32 PM

I'm 50% Polish (mom's side) and the rest Irish/German/Scottish (dad)....have no idea what side it came from, as it doesnt seem like anyone in my family has Celiac but me. :(

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead ahead - soon we must all face the choice, to do what is right, or what is easy..." - Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter)

Diagnosed Celiac in May 2012 by TTG level and endoscopy
Acid reflux/GERD (stopped since eating gluten-free)
Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: