9 replies to this topic

#1 Minette

Minette

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:33 AM

I have a very simple crepe recipe (just eggs, milk, flour, pinch of salt, and a little oil -- I don't remember the proportions off the top of my head) that I've used for years. If I were going to sub a gluten-free flour blend for the regular flour, would you suggest changing the proportions (less flour, more liquid, etc.)?

All the gluten-free crepe recipes I've found online are considerably more complicated, and a lot of them are buckwheat, which my celiac daughter doesn't like. So I figured I would start with a simple substitution and go from there.

I know all flour blends are different and it will take some experimentation, but I'm not going shopping between now and Sunday. The ones I have on hand right now are BRM all-purpose (which DH just bought two huge bags of at Costco, so now I feel obliged to use them :rolleyes: ) and Mama's Pancake and Waffle Mix. So far I've only used the Bob's for muffins and the Mama's for pancakes -- near-total newbie!

Thanks for any advice.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 MaryJones2

MaryJones2

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:12 PM

Try this one: http://betterbatter....pes-gluten-free

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

#3 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:33 PM

I use both buckwheat flour and chick pea flour for crepes, USed to mix it but now use both depending on whats inside. Check pea is a little sweeter

I have a very simple crepe recipe (just eggs, milk, flour, pinch of salt, and a little oil -- I don't remember the proportions off the top of my head) that I've used for years. If I were going to sub a gluten-free flour blend for the regular flour, would you suggest changing the proportions (less flour, more liquid, etc.)?

All the gluten-free crepe recipes I've found online are considerably more complicated, and a lot of them are buckwheat, which my celiac daughter doesn't like. So I figured I would start with a simple substitution and go from there.

I know all flour blends are different and it will take some experimentation, but I'm not going shopping between now and Sunday. The ones I have on hand right now are BRM all-purpose (which DH just bought two huge bags of at Costco, so now I feel obliged to use them :rolleyes: ) and Mama's Pancake and Waffle Mix. So far I've only used the Bob's for muffins and the Mama's for pancakes -- near-total newbie!

Thanks for any advice.

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 andi1235

andi1235

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:04 PM

I use both buckwheat flour and chick pea flour for crepes, USed to mix it but now use both depending on whats inside. Check pea is a little sweeter

I've made crepes with just millet flour before. It works fine. I think most of the structure of a crepe is in the eggs, anyway.

#5 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:02 PM

I use millet, buckwheat, sweet rice, chestnut, hazelnut, coconut and almond flours. You can easily make chocolate crepes as well.

Crepes are very forgiving as far as subbing flours (not like baking bread where more science is involved).

BTW, what are you filling them with?
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#6 Minette

Minette

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:09 PM

Thanks -- I'll try the Mama's pancake mix, with the proportions in the recipe Janet linked to.

One of my daughters just likes jam on hers -- the other one (the one with celiac) eats them plain. DH and I eat them with ham/turkey and cheese.

#7 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:56 PM

I just use the flour and water with no eggs. Like Indian flat breads or dosa. Millet does work very well too.

I've made crepes with just millet flour before. It works fine. I think most of the structure of a crepe is in the eggs, anyway.

Japanese proverb

#8 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:58 PM

I like spinach so i tend to make a puree with that or other greens for some crepes. FInely diced bok choy, corn, red pepper and sweet onion is another filling. What ever fresh tropical fruit is in season works great too. Made lychee dessert crepes a few days ago.

I use millet, buckwheat, sweet rice, chestnut, hazelnut, coconut and almond flours. You can easily make chocolate crepes as well.

Crepes are very forgiving as far as subbing flours (not like baking bread where more science is involved).

BTW, what are you filling them with?

Japanese proverb

#9 Minette

Minette

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:54 PM

So, I used the pancake mix, but it was a little weird because it has leavener in it. They tasted OK, but were strangely puffy for crepes, and a little mushy on the inside. (The mix also includes sugar, which I don't normally add.) Next time I will plan in advance and buy some millet flour!

#10 kenlove

kenlove

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:20 PM

Just did some yesterday with Bob's Red Mill chick pea and fava bean flour-- just that and water.
came out great

So, I used the pancake mix, but it was a little weird because it has leavener in it. They tasted OK, but were strangely puffy for crepes, and a little mushy on the inside. (The mix also includes sugar, which I don't normally add.) Next time I will plan in advance and buy some millet flour!

Japanese proverb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: