#1 Mizzo

Mizzo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:22 PM

HI,
My DD is Celiac and has a high BMI and high cholesterol. We are already working on increasing her veggie and fruit intake, now I need snack idea's for on the go /camp etc..

Thanks !!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,315 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:18 PM

How about fruit snacks? We like Welches. I thinks it's 80-100 calories a pack. " tangy" is the favorite flavor. Says gluten-free on the bag. I have seen small snack bags of Kettlecorn at target here in KC. You can eat a lot of Jelly Bellys jelly beans for 100 calories. These are not super healthy choices,, but If you want a snack that looks like everyone else's, these would do.

You can always wash some strawberries, cherries,or grapes to take along. I found that when my kids brought those as a snack or part of lunch, everyone tried to take them. They all had chips and candy but the grapes were good. Maybe raisens or the cranberry ones? Maybe in a mix of nuts, Corn Chex, gluten-free pretzels, popcorn, and Choco chips or M&Ms? Dried fruit? We got some sort of little packets of dried fruit from Costco. Carrot sticks and a ranch dip? Fruit and vanilla yogurt for dip? You can add chopped pineapple, coconut, choco chips, etc to the vanilla yogurt. Celery with Pb or cheese spread in the curve of the celery?

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:17 PM

Oh I love snacks! Haha this is my department! First off, I have to agree with kareng, go for the fruit snacks. They're quick, easy and portable. I noticed that the "fruit by the foot" are labeled gluten-free, who knew!? Love them! My usual snack though is a piece of fruit, veggies and hummus, perhaps a few almonds( be cautious on calories/portion size)..I tend to throw some grapes in the freezer before a long drive and then I have a yummy, cool snack for the road! I also always, always, ALWAYS have a Lrabar or a kind bar with me at all times. Both are great snack options, around 200 calories and right full of healthy gluten-free, non GMO goodies! They have enough protein to last a while, definitely a go to. I also, like the nature valley gluten free nut bars, very yummy, same calories but a quarter of the price!! And it kind of seems like candy since they're crunchy like peanut brittle. Last but not least, when I go to the movies or driving I take a bag of gluten-free pretzels with me, glutino makes individual (sort of-2 servings) bags, super portable! I've been eating Lrabars for my snacks this week, peanut butter cookie flavor!!! Seriously, BEST THING EVER haha I'm addicted and the best part is, it's gluten-free, vegan, non GMO and so good for you. This particular one is only made of dates, peanuts, and sea salt--can't go wrong! Phew, sorry for the spiel, snack time is the highlight of my day hahaha hope this helps! :)
~**caselynn**~

#4 faithforlife

faithforlife

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:20 PM

Everyones ideas sound great! Nature Valley has a gluten-free nut bar also with almonds-kinda crunchy. For older kids only. Same with corn nuts. Gummy snacks. Rice cakes. Home made gluten-free cookies. Nuts. Fruit roll-ups by Betty Crocker. Dum-dum lollipops. Tootsie pops. Frozen go-gurts by yo plait. Stringed Cheese sticks. Fruit galore. Lays potatoe chip grab bags. Junk food-skittles n mm's. Pickles.

Faith For Life
Family History of terminal diabetes, acid reflux, etc.
2010-My 4 yr. old son- chronic diarrhea (3-5x a day since he was 12 months old)and chronic anemia,positive for 2 gluten sensitive antibodies, the genes, inflammation
(no villous atrophy found)
2011-entire family positive for genetics for celiac
2011-myself- positive gluten antibodies across the board
Family is successfully gluten free and some lactose free, studying Specific Carbohydrate Diet and Paleo Diet

#5 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:03 AM

Everyones ideas sound great! Nature Valley has a gluten-free nut bar also with almonds-kinda crunchy. For older kids only. Same with corn nuts. Gummy snacks. Rice cakes. Home made gluten-free cookies. Nuts. Fruit roll-ups by Betty Crocker. Dum-dum lollipops. Tootsie pops. Frozen go-gurts by yo plait. Stringed Cheese sticks. Fruit galore. Lays potatoe chip grab bags. Junk food-skittles n mm's. Pickles.

Good call on the rice cakes, I forgot about those! I love the chocolate ones with a little peanut butter between two....soooo yummy!....I think I better go find some breakfast, this is making me hungry!! :)
~**caselynn**~

#6 Happyw5

Happyw5

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:36 AM

I make my own gluten free peanut free granola bars and my kids love them...I bake 1.5 cups gluten free oats until they are brown. I bake 1 cup sliced almonds until brown. Take 1/4 cup gluten free oats and put it in the food processor to make a flour. Mix all the above ingredients together and add anything else you like. I usually add perkins rice cereal (about 1 Cup) you can add dried fruit or pretzels or both. In a pan on simmer mix together 1/2 cup almond butter 1/4 cup oil (I use livesmart) 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup honey. mix it really well, no need to cook it. Pour over dry ingredients and put in a greased pan and bake 20 minutes. They sound like a lot of work, but you can cut them up and wrap them, and if it's only your daughter eating them they will last a while. I have 5 kids and a husband go after mine...

Lucys cookies are really good too and I don't think they are that unhealthy as long as you stick to portion size!

#7 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,315 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:51 AM

We do love our snacks! She was asking for low fat ideas! :lol:

I looked at the Welches fruit snacks 80 calories. All the Betty Crocker ones are gluten-free and say so on the box. Similar calories, I would guess.

I thought of some more:
A Baggie of Cinnamon or Chocolate Chex?
Cheese stix? They have individually wrapped lower fat cheddar ones by Sargento - 60 calories. Yum!
Marshmallows.
A&E non fat chocolate milk sweetened with Splenda (10 calories more than regular milk).
Popsicles made with non- fat pudding or fruit smoothie ( not good for camp).
Brothers Alll Natural fruit Crips - about 35 calories ( if you are in KC I'll give them to you. My boys won't try them. " the healthy girls like them"

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#8 Kelleybean

Kelleybean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:00 AM

HI,
My DD is Celiac and has a high BMI and high cholesterol. We are already working on increasing her veggie and fruit intake, now I need snack idea's for on the go /camp etc..

Thanks !!

Do you have a dehydrator? My son loves "strawberry chips" - we slice strawberries thin and then dehydrate them. What about dry cereal?

Any chance that she'd do kale chips?

#9 Cara in Boston

Cara in Boston

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:15 AM

We love those pouches of applesauce - easy and only one ingredient. My son also likes lara bars (have you seen the new small, fun size?), low fat string cheese, hummus (check amazon for the individual, shelf-stable pouches), KIND bars (healthyish, but not really low fat), dried fruit and dehydrated fruit (Trader Joe's), fruit smoothies.

Cara

#10 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:38 AM

HI,

Thanks !!

Waitaminute. High BMI and high cholesterol are symptoms of thyroid disease. Has her thyroid been tested? People with celiac are very prone to thyroid trouble.

Also, I thought the latest thinking for controlling weight and cholesterol was allowing good fats like nuts, seeds, olive oil, and avocado and limiting bad fats like hydrogenated vegetable oils, high-fructose corn syrup, refined sugar, and refined flours and starches? Fruits and veggies are great, of course.

#11 Mizzo

Mizzo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:04 PM

Waitaminute. High BMI and high cholesterol are symptoms of thyroid disease. Has her thyroid been tested? People with celiac are very prone to thyroid trouble.

Also, I thought the latest thinking for controlling weight and cholesterol was allowing good fats like nuts, seeds, olive oil, and avocado and limiting bad fats like hydrogenated vegetable oils, high-fructose corn syrup, refined sugar, and refined flours and starches? Fruits and veggies are great, of course.

No she hasn't been tested but I will inquire to that in our next 4 week follow-up. Yes, your food thoughts are correct I have switched to olive oil/ grapeseed oil, started making my own granola with Almonds etc... ltd fructose and corn syrup etc...

Which is why snacks for a 9 yr old are a bit difficult especially for camp /travel situations. Elana's pantry. com has a lot of good recipes but baking in 95 degrees is not ideal LOL

#12 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:08 PM

We love those pouches of applesauce - easy and only one ingredient. My son also likes lara bars (have you seen the new small, fun size?), low fat string cheese, hummus (check amazon for the individual, shelf-stable pouches), KIND bars (healthyish, but not really low fat), dried fruit and dehydrated fruit (Trader Joe's), fruit smoothies.

Cara

Fun size Lrabars!? Oh my.... I need them haha
~**caselynn**~

#13 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:14 PM

I just made a pretty awesome snack of I may say so myself haha date balls! Totally raw food, dates, raisins of you wish (I didn't), almonds and coconut.(no coconut for me!) so you first process some almonds to coat the outside, set aside. Then process your dates with some almonds until mealy. Mild into balls and roll in almonds and/or coconut. Very good for you, and sweet! So it'll fix a sweet tooth in a pinch, no problem!!
~**caselynn**~

#14 Mom-of-Two

Mom-of-Two

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:39 PM

Mini Larabars? Yay!

My oldest likes them but they are a bit too much for her to finish :)

#15 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:29 PM

My daughter likes the little hummus cups from Costco or the Wild Garden shelf stable stuff from minimus and elsewhere with baby carrots, celery or even apple slices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: