Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Need Low Fat Snack Idea's

18 posts in this topic

HI,

My DD is Celiac and has a high BMI and high cholesterol. We are already working on increasing her veggie and fruit intake, now I need snack idea's for on the go /camp etc..

Thanks !!

Ads by Google:

How about fruit snacks? We like Welches. I thinks it's 80-100 calories a pack. " tangy" is the favorite flavor. Says gluten-free on the bag. I have seen small snack bags of Kettlecorn at target here in KC. You can eat a lot of Jelly Bellys jelly beans for 100 calories. These are not super healthy choices,, but If you want a snack that looks like everyone else's, these would do.

You can always wash some strawberries, cherries,or grapes to take along. I found that when my kids brought those as a snack or part of lunch, everyone tried to take them. They all had chips and candy but the grapes were good. Maybe raisens or the cranberry ones? Maybe in a mix of nuts, Corn Chex, gluten-free pretzels, popcorn, and Choco chips or M&Ms? Dried fruit? We got some sort of little packets of dried fruit from Costco. Carrot sticks and a ranch dip? Fruit and vanilla yogurt for dip? You can add chopped pineapple, coconut, choco chips, etc to the vanilla yogurt. Celery with Pb or cheese spread in the curve of the celery?

Oh I love snacks! Haha this is my department! First off, I have to agree with kareng, go for the fruit snacks. They're quick, easy and portable. I noticed that the "fruit by the foot" are labeled gluten-free, who knew!? Love them! My usual snack though is a piece of fruit, veggies and hummus, perhaps a few almonds( be cautious on calories/portion size)..I tend to throw some grapes in the freezer before a long drive and then I have a yummy, cool snack for the road! I also always, always, ALWAYS have a L

Everyones ideas sound great! Nature Valley has a gluten-free nut bar also with almonds-kinda crunchy. For older kids only. Same with corn nuts. Gummy snacks. Rice cakes. Home made gluten-free cookies. Nuts. Fruit roll-ups by Betty Crocker. Dum-dum lollipops. Tootsie pops. Frozen go-gurts by yo plait. Stringed Cheese sticks. Fruit galore. Lays potatoe chip grab bags. Junk food-skittles n mm's. Pickles.

Everyones ideas sound great! Nature Valley has a gluten-free nut bar also with almonds-kinda crunchy. For older kids only. Same with corn nuts. Gummy snacks. Rice cakes. Home made gluten-free cookies. Nuts. Fruit roll-ups by Betty Crocker. Dum-dum lollipops. Tootsie pops. Frozen go-gurts by yo plait. Stringed Cheese sticks. Fruit galore. Lays potatoe chip grab bags. Junk food-skittles n mm's. Pickles.

Good call on the rice cakes, I forgot about those! I love the chocolate ones with a little peanut butter between two....soooo yummy!....I think I better go find some breakfast, this is making me hungry!! :)

I make my own gluten free peanut free granola bars and my kids love them...I bake 1.5 cups gluten free oats until they are brown. I bake 1 cup sliced almonds until brown. Take 1/4 cup gluten free oats and put it in the food processor to make a flour. Mix all the above ingredients together and add anything else you like. I usually add perkins rice cereal (about 1 Cup) you can add dried fruit or pretzels or both. In a pan on simmer mix together 1/2 cup almond butter 1/4 cup oil (I use livesmart) 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup honey. mix it really well, no need to cook it. Pour over dry ingredients and put in a greased pan and bake 20 minutes. They sound like a lot of work, but you can cut them up and wrap them, and if it's only your daughter eating them they will last a while. I have 5 kids and a husband go after mine...

Lucys cookies are really good too and I don't think they are that unhealthy as long as you stick to portion size!

We do love our snacks! She was asking for low fat ideas! :lol:

I looked at the Welches fruit snacks 80 calories. All the Betty Crocker ones are gluten-free and say so on the box. Similar calories, I would guess.

I thought of some more:

A Baggie of Cinnamon or Chocolate Chex?

Cheese stix? They have individually wrapped lower fat cheddar ones by Sargento - 60 calories. Yum!

Marshmallows.

A&E non fat chocolate milk sweetened with Splenda (10 calories more than regular milk).

Popsicles made with non- fat pudding or fruit smoothie ( not good for camp).

Brothers Alll Natural fruit Crips - about 35 calories ( if you are in KC I'll give them to you. My boys won't try them. " the healthy girls like them"

HI,

My DD is Celiac and has a high BMI and high cholesterol. We are already working on increasing her veggie and fruit intake, now I need snack idea's for on the go /camp etc..

Thanks !!

Do you have a dehydrator? My son loves "strawberry chips" - we slice strawberries thin and then dehydrate them. What about dry cereal?

Any chance that she'd do kale chips?

We love those pouches of applesauce - easy and only one ingredient. My son also likes lara bars (have you seen the new small, fun size?), low fat string cheese, hummus (check amazon for the individual, shelf-stable pouches), KIND bars (healthyish, but not really low fat), dried fruit and dehydrated fruit (Trader Joe's), fruit smoothies.

Cara

HI,

Thanks !!

Waitaminute. High BMI and high cholesterol are symptoms of thyroid disease. Has her thyroid been tested? People with celiac are very prone to thyroid trouble.

Also, I thought the latest thinking for controlling weight and cholesterol was allowing good fats like nuts, seeds, olive oil, and avocado and limiting bad fats like hydrogenated vegetable oils, high-fructose corn syrup, refined sugar, and refined flours and starches? Fruits and veggies are great, of course.

Waitaminute. High BMI and high cholesterol are symptoms of thyroid disease. Has her thyroid been tested? People with celiac are very prone to thyroid trouble.

Also, I thought the latest thinking for controlling weight and cholesterol was allowing good fats like nuts, seeds, olive oil, and avocado and limiting bad fats like hydrogenated vegetable oils, high-fructose corn syrup, refined sugar, and refined flours and starches? Fruits and veggies are great, of course.

No she hasn't been tested but I will inquire to that in our next 4 week follow-up. Yes, your food thoughts are correct I have switched to olive oil/ grapeseed oil, started making my own granola with Almonds etc... ltd fructose and corn syrup etc...

Which is why snacks for a 9 yr old are a bit difficult especially for camp /travel situations. Elana's pantry. com has a lot of good recipes but baking in 95 degrees is not ideal LOL

We love those pouches of applesauce - easy and only one ingredient. My son also likes lara bars (have you seen the new small, fun size?), low fat string cheese, hummus (check amazon for the individual, shelf-stable pouches), KIND bars (healthyish, but not really low fat), dried fruit and dehydrated fruit (Trader Joe's), fruit smoothies.

Cara

Fun size L

I just made a pretty awesome snack of I may say so myself haha date balls! Totally raw food, dates, raisins of you wish (I didn't), almonds and coconut.(no coconut for me!) so you first process some almonds to coat the outside, set aside. Then process your dates with some almonds until mealy. Mild into balls and roll in almonds and/or coconut. Very good for you, and sweet! So it'll fix a sweet tooth in a pinch, no problem!!

Mini Larabars? Yay!

My oldest likes them but they are a bit too much for her to finish :)

My daughter likes the little hummus cups from Costco or the Wild Garden shelf stable stuff from minimus and elsewhere with baby carrots, celery or even apple slices.

My daughter likes the little hummus cups from Costco or the Wild Garden shelf stable stuff from minimus and elsewhere with baby carrots, celery or even apple slices.

Now wait, am I reading that wrong? Did you say apple slices and hummus? That's an interesting combo, love new combos!

Kind Bars and shoothies come to mind. My 8 year old loves both. He likes to tell me what he likes in his smoothie, just like at the smoothie store. He likes the fact that it can taste just like the store and he can "order" if from me. We put fruit yogert juice or milk, regular or soy, gluten-free protein powder and ice. My kids woof it. :)

Kind Bars and shoothies come to mind. My 8 year old loves both. He likes to tell me what he likes in his smoothie, just like at the smoothie store. He likes the fact that it can taste just like the store and he can "order" if from me. We put fruit yogert juice or milk, regular or soy, gluten-free protein powder and ice. My kids woof it. :)

Many people mention protein powder what kind is Gluten free ?