This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Ny Metro Area.. Need Restaurant Suggestion

jkmunchkin

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Ok I need this night out like a hole in the head (I'm moving the same week as the party), and to be honest I'm so not in to the whole idea of a cheesy bachleorette party but my best friend has been living for this since I got engaged.

I need to find a restaurant in the city that will be fun (fun being the operative word, not cheesy - everyone has been informed on the evite that if they have any delusional thoughts of making me wear a big button that says bride or anything along those linese they are disinvited); but that I can eat something without agonizing to much and that everyone else will be happy with the menu selection also.

Any suggestions?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

All these restaurants are in NYC and have passed the requirements of the Gluten-Free Restaurant Awareness Program to provide gluten-free dining. These would be good cause the kitchen staff already knows how to and is trained to cook gluten-free meals.

Open Original Shared Link

jkmunchkin Rising Star
All these restaurants are in NYC and have passed the requirements of the Gluten-Free Restaurant Awareness Program to provide gluten-free dining.  These would be good cause the kitchen staff already knows how to and is trained to cook gluten-free meals.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I had this list and was maybe thinking of doing Asia de Cuba, but I don't really love that place and I'm not sure the others really work for the occassion. I used to love Sambuca and that could work, but I remember you mentioning their gluten-free food wasn't that great.

Thanks celiac3270.

P.S. I went to Rissoteria again the other night. I could go there for the breadsticks alone java script:emoticon(':)')

celiac3270 Collaborator
Yeah I had this list and was maybe thinking of doing Asia de Cuba, but I don't really love that place and I'm not sure the others really work for the occassion. I used to love Sambuca and that could work, but I remember you mentioning their gluten-free food wasn't that great.

Thanks celiac3270.

P.S. I went to Rissoteria again the other night. I could go there for the breadsticks alone java script:emoticon(':)')

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, when I went to Sambucca they really overcooked the Tinkyada noodles, but others who have gone LOVED it...maybe try it yourself beforehand.

Guest Addicted2Gluten

I've never been to Sambuca...but am planning on trying it soon. I would definitely recommend Asia De Cuba! Have you tried their chocolate cake for dessert?! It's delicious. Or Nobu 57...it's not on the list yet, but it is a great, fun restaurant to eat it and I went there about a week ago and I was able to eat so many different things. The chef, waitress, etc. new exactly what gluten was, it was such a relief.

jkmunchkin Rising Star
I've never been to Sambuca...but am planning on trying it soon.  I would definitely recommend Asia De Cuba!  Have you tried their chocolate cake for dessert?!  It's delicious.  Or Nobu 57...it's not on the list yet, but it is a great, fun restaurant to eat it and I went there about a week ago and I was able to eat so many different things.  The chef, waitress, etc. new exactly what gluten was, it was such a relief.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I went to Asia de Cuba years ago when they first opened but to be honest I don't even remember what I had. I remember likeing it but chocolate cake could definately persuade me to go back regardless (lol)!!! That's really good to know about Nobu, definately another great option. Thanks guys!!!

mookie03 Contributor

Hey guys,

I'm new to this site, only diagnosed recently. Have been a frequent "guest" lately, as you guys are really helpful as i continue to figure out what i can/cant eat!

I live in NY and was wondering if someone could send me a list of the ny restaurants from the Gluten Free Restaurant Awareness Program website - cant seem to open the link on this page (or through google).

Thanks!

Stefi

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

Here's the page...formatting gets messed up, but if you can't get to the link, this is the next best.

Asia de Cuba

Owners: China Grill Management

Head Chef: Bradley Day

Contact Person: Kide Ndiaye

237 Madison Avenue

(At 37th Street)

New York, New York 10016

United States

Cuisine: Asian/Latin Fusion

Price Range: $23.00 -- 52.00  (212) 726-7755

(212) 726-7575

www.chinagrillmgt.com

Get A MapQuest Map 

Leave Feedback about this Restaurant 

Sponsoring Support Group: Westchester Celiac Sprue Support Group

Asia de Cuba's unique sharing menu features an innovative fusion of Asian and Latin cuisine. Be sure to ask for the special Gluten Free menu.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bistango

Owner: Bash Efmali

Manager: Anthony Avellino

Head Chef: Roberto

415 3rd Avenue

(At 29th St & 3rd Ave)

New York, New York 10016

United States

Price Range:

»Appetizers: $5.50 -- 11.95

»Salads: $5.95 -- 8.50

»Entrees (chicken/veal/seafood): $12.95 -- 14.95  212-725-8484

Get A MapQuest Map 

Bistango is highly recommended for its great food, wonderful ambience, friendly staff and great value. Bistango is an Italian restaurant that offers a variety of appetizers, salads, chicken dishes and seafood (and dessert!) that can all be prepared gluten free. The manager, Anthony, greets everyone and he is very supportive of cooking to any dietary needs. Bistango is very reasonably priced and provides a wonderful dining experience. Please ask for their annotated gluten-free menu.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bloom's Delicatessen Cafe

Owner: Tom Coris

Head Chef: Raoul Fetzer

350 Lexington Avenue

(corner of 40th Street)

New York, New York 10016

United States

Cuisine: Everything - Diner Style Menu with Omelettes, Hamburgers, gluten-free French Fries, and Salads

Price Range:

»Breakfast/Lunch: $4.00 -- 10.00

»Dinner: $7.00 -- 20.00

»Side Orders: $2.00 -- 5.00  212-922-FOOD (3663)

212-867-FOOD (3663)

www.bloomsnewyorkdeli.com

Get A MapQuest Map 

Bloom's New York Delicatessen & Restaurant features a special gluten free menu including amazing gluten free French Fries!! Bloom's offers great deli and dinner foods such as Eggs and Omelettes, Hamburgers, Smoked Fish Platters, Salads, and Dinner Entrees including Salmon and Steaks.

Candle 79

Owners: Joy Pierson & Bart Potenzy

Head Chef: Jonathan Grumbies

154 East 79th Street

New York, New York 10021

United States

Cuisine: Global ethnic cuisine

Price Range:

»Lunch: $10.00 -- 18.00

»Dinner: $14.00 -- 20.00  212-537-7179

candlecafe.com

candle_cafe@msn.com 

Get A MapQuest Map 

Located on East 79th Street, a meal at this warm, elegant, upscale vegan venue perfectly compliments an afternoon of shopping on luxurious Madison Avenue. Serving organic seasonal delicious and beautifully presented dishes, Candle 79 offers many options for gluten free guests. Please ask for the special "gluten-free" menu and Bon Appetit!

Coast

Manager: Carl Bester

Executive Chef: Daniel Angerer

Chef: Jason LaBlanca

110 Liberty Street

New York, New York 10006

United States

Cuisine: Fresh Seafood & American Comfort

Price Range:

»Lunch: $6.00 -- 24.00

»Dinner: $10.00 -- 25.00  212-962-0136

freshshorecoast.com

carlbester@hotmail.com 

Get A MapQuest Map 

Coast - an NYC fishhouse and gourmet market serving fresh grilled seafood and American comfort foods, and a Raw Bar. A large portion of the menu is gluten free, from the clam chowder to the fresh grilled market fish --- and don't forget the creamy cheese cake.

Lumi Restaurant

Owner: Lumi Devine

Manager: Arber Murici

Head Chef: Daniel Catana

963 Lexington Avenue

(at 70th Street)

New York, New York 10021

United States

Cuisine: Upscale Italian

Price Range: $16.00 -- 28.00  212-570-2335

212-288-6410

LumiRestaurant.com

lumirest@aol.com 

Get A MapQuest Map 

Lumi is and Upper East Side Italian restuarant in a charming, romantic two-story townhouse. There is outdoor sidewalk dining from May to the end of September. The second floor is an elegant room with a fireplace and can accomodate up to 40 guests for a private party.

Peters' Gourmet Diner/Restaurant

Owners: Peter Zakakis, Peter Podaras

1606 1st Avenue

(between 83rd & 84th Streets)

New York, New York 10028

United States

Cuisine: American, Comfort, Brunch

Price Range:

»Lunch: $6.00 -- 12.00

»Dinner: $12.00 -- 20.00  212-734-9600

Get A MapQuest Map 

Peter's is a gourmet diner in NYC. Their menu is crafted to please customers with low-fat, low-calorie and gluten-free requirements. Customers will enjoy gluten free specialties like pancakes and waffles for breakfast, a large selection of sandwiches and salads for lunch, and a complete dinner menu that includes burgers from beef, salmon, turkey and ostrich. The sandwiches and burgers are available on gluten-free bread. There is also outside dining in warmer weather.

Risotteria

Owner: Joseph Pace

270 Bleeker Street

New York, New York 10014

United States

Cuisine: Italian

Price Range:

»Salads: $3.75 -- 12.00

»Main Course: $7.00 -- 12.50  212-924-6664

646-638-2474

www.risotteria.com

Get A MapQuest Map 

Small Greenwich Village restaurant serving made-to-order risotto and fresh salads according to authentic recipes from traditional Italian cuisine. Risotteria uses 3 different kinds of rice -- Baldo, Carnaroli, and Vialone Nano -- and these can be combined with pesto and mozzarella, spinach and roasted red peppers, shrimp and garlic, just to name a few. The choices are unlimited. Ask for the gluten-free menu. All of the menus are annotated for gluten-free selections.

Sambuca

Manager: Peter Geraghty

Head Chef: Rick Iturralde

20 West 72nd Street

New York, New York 10023

United States

Cuisine: Family-style Southern Italian

Price Range: $12.00 -- 25.00  212-787-5656

212-799-9052

www.sambucanyc.com

party@sambucanyc.com 

Get A MapQuest Map 

Sambuca serves Southern Italian food, family style, and has been on the Upper West Side since 1987. It is the perfect place, whether you are going out for a business dinner, with the kids, or getting together with a bunch of friends. The atmosphere is warm and comfortable, and the staff is super friendly. Sambuca is proud to offer their gluten-free/wheat-free menu. The menu includes delicious salads, appetizers, 15 different pasta preparations, a variety of chicken, veal, steak, seafood and vegetable dishes, as well as homemade bread and chocolate brownies.

Liza, the owner, along with her devoted staff, is very excited about the new menu. They have all worked very closely with GFRAP to help ensure good health and good food to all of their gluten-free friends.

Chef Enrique Itteralde has worked at many great restaurants in New York. He has been at Sambuca for a few years and is very excited about our new gluten free menu.

Please be sure to ask for the Gluten Free menu.

Tropica Bar and Seafood House

Head Chef: Eric Basulto

Manager: Matthew Conlan

Metlife Building

200 Park Avenue

New York, New York 10021

United States

Cuisine: Carribean

Price Range:

»Lunch: $18.00 -- 26.00

»Dinner: $21.00 -- 28.00  212-867-6767

212-949-8266

www.restaurantassociates.com

Get A MapQuest Map 

Tropica Bar & Seafood House is a tropical oasis specializing in island-inspired fish and seafood dishes. Enjoy a large selection of gluten free selections in a beautiful Caribbean atmosphere. Please ask for their special gluten-free menu.

Not open on weekends.

mookie03 Contributor

thanks so much! cant wait to try them

Stefi

Archived